Where did you meet UNIX for a first time?

The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Where did you meet UNIX for a first time?
# 1  
Old 05-03-2010
Where did you meet UNIX for a first time?

Simple question , where did you meet UNIX OS-es.

I started with linux, and then I have meet Solaris and I am all in Solaris right now , almost a year that I am in UNIX, still reading manuals.
# 2  
Old 05-03-2010
Hammer & Screwdriver

My first contact took place about 25 years ago on a system made by Convergent Technologies, it's unix flavor was called "ctix". After that was a short episode with a unix emulator running on PrimOS, the proprietary operating system by Prime Computers.

After that I worked with Sinix for some years, the Unix variant from Siemens, and a little bit with Xenix (SCO).

In 1995 I started to work with Solaris, version 2.4 was current at that time.
Between 1999 and 2001 I had a short encounter with Tru64 (Compaq). Somewhere around that time (I can't remember exactly) finally Linux sneeked into my professional life.

25 years of Unix and still reading manuals Smilie
# 3  
Old 05-03-2010
Quote:
25 years of Unix and still reading manuals Smilie
Not 25 years for me but so true Smilie

First contact I had was with HP-UX and DEC OSF for a short time when I was in the military way back in 1995. After that I had short contact to SINIX, SCO and SuSE Linux while I was mainly administering WinNT 4 servers doing MCSE certification etc.
I was fed up with Blue Screens and the limited capabilities to administer a windows servers etc. So my next job I decided will be Unix/Linux only and I now nearly work close to 10 years with AIX and Linux (SuSE, Debian) - I do not miss the Windows times at all Smilie
# 4  
Old 05-03-2010
I first learned about Linux while obtaining an Associates Networking Degree in 2002. Of course during my investigation of Linux I was introducted to Unix. From there I learned about the history of Unix and Linux, including Ken Thompson, Dennis Richie, and Linus Torvalds.
# 5  
Old 05-03-2010
My first encounter with UNIX(AIX) was two years back :-)
So much to learn so little time :-)
# 6  
Old 05-03-2010
First exposure to unix

About a dozen years ago, on an HP system running HP-UX. A little confusing at first, but slowly got the hang of it. Have worked with Solaris since then, and also some flavors that are installed on PC's.
# 7  
Old 05-03-2010
I first entered in the UNIX WORLD (SOLARIS), around 3 years back.I passed my Engineering in 2007 and entered in this field as fresher.Thanks to my Company, Seniors and whole www.unix.com family for sharing there knoledge with me.Its like ENIGMA..., you just try to know and it seems to be endless which makes you to dig deeper and deeper and much more deeper.....!!!!
This User Gave Thanks to Reboot For This Post:
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Arduino UNIX Time - Syncing Computer UNIX Time to Arduino Time with Python

Just finished a quick Python script to send the current unix time over to the Arduino from macOS, so in the absence of GPS or some other way to get the unix timestamp (epoch time) to the Arduino, I can get my macOS and Arduino UNO synced to within a second. Normally, when the Arduino starts... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UTC time into current UNIX sever time zone

Hi guys thanks for the help for my previous posts.Now i have a requirement that i download a XMl file which has UTC time stamp.I need to convert UTC time into Unix server timezone. For ex if the time zone of unix server is CDT then i need to convert into CDT.whatever may be the system time... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding time to date time in UNIX shell scipting

I needed some help in adding a duration (in seconds) to a start time (in hhmmss format) and a start date (in mmddyy format) in order to get an end date and end time. The concept of a leap year is also to be considered while incrementing the day. The code/ function that I have formed so far is as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: codehelp04
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting string date time to unix time in AWK

I'd like to convert a date string in the form of sun aug 19 09:03:10 EDT 2012, to unixtime timestamp using awk. I tried This is how each line of the file looks like, different date and time in this format Sun Aug 19 08:33:45 EDT 2012, user1(108.6.217.236) all: test on the 17th ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkkid
2 Replies

5. Solaris

in.mpathd Cannot meet requested failure detection time

Hello World I am facing following issue on machine HW: Sun Fire X4200 M2 OS: Solaris 10/08 s10x_u6wos_07b X86 Errors: Jun 28 08:11:46 backupsrv in.mpathd: Improved failure detection time 24528 ms on (inet nge1) for group "prd" Jun 28 08:11:46 backupsrv in.mpathd: Improved... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashif_islam
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get time duration between two human readable time stamp in Unix?

Here is two time I have: Jul 12 16:02:01 Jul 13 01:02:01 and how can I do a simple match to get difference between two time which is 09:00:00 Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ford99
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Unix Time to Standard Time

I have a list of interfaces and time the interface was last active. I can't figure out how to convert the time in the second column, Fa1/14 0 Se0/0/0 0 Fa1/11 0 Fa1/9 0 Fa1/0 0 Se0/0/1 1240401408 Gi1/0 0 Fa0/0 1240401408 Fa1/3 0 Fa1/8 0 Fa1/15 0 Fa1/13 0 Fa1/10 0 Fa1/1 0 Fa1/12... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How To Provide Time Sync Using Nts-150 Time Server On Unix Network?

can anybody tel lme,how to instal NTS -150 on a unix network,it needs some patch to fetch time frm serve,,?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pesty
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question