Solaris Performace and Tools

Operating Systems Solaris Solaris Performace and Tools
# 1  
Old 07-13-2010
Solaris Performace and Tools

I always had helpful replies from this site when ever I have posted a question.
My current problem is that I am trying to read a book titled "Solaris(TM) Performance and Tools: DTrace and MDB Techniques for Solaris 10" and I am frustrated because inspite of the fact that it is a good book I just cannot grasp it.
Is there a book out there which explains solaris performance from the very basics.
I have read some other programming books written by Indian authors and the subject is explained very clearly. Is there a book on Solaris performance and internals by an Indian writter?

Shell be much obliged.

Last edited by Tirmazi; 07-13-2010 at 04:47 PM..
# 2  
Old 07-14-2010
I believe the book you are reading is the 2nd part of Solaris internals. I would say you start from it. I will be quite hard to user DTrace unless one has good knowledge of what is happening behind the scenes.
It is a difficult subject. We had a similar course from Sun, Solaris performance management. Even the instructor left the official Sun book and used slides from the Solaris internals book.
# 3  
Old 07-14-2010
I have the first part of the book Solaris Internals too, but that's a heavy stuff also. Is there something out there which can put things together piece by piece?

In the meanwhile I found this book in the Library called "The Design of The Unix Operating System" by Maurice J. Bach ISBN-10: 0132017997
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How can i monitor solaris server by using any monitoring tools

Hi forum We have nearly 240 servers inclding zones . How can i monitor server and its performance by using any monitoring tools. My indentions is to plot graphs based on server utilization interms of cpu and memory Is there any opensource tools for this. I saw collectd and it has agent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bentech4u
3 Replies

2. Ubuntu

Multipath-Tools

Hello, i have a problem with the multipath tools configuration. i can't remove the local disk paths. the multipath.conf archives configuration is: --------------------------------------------------------- $ cat /etc/multipath.conf blacklist{ devnode cciss devnode fd ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: FeeII
0 Replies

3. Infrastructure Monitoring

Solaris Performance Monitoring Tools????

Hi, Are there any GUI (preferably web based) Solaris monitoring tools available for the SPARC platform. Just to clarify, when i say GUI, I don't mean buttons to configure the Software, of course that would be a plus, but rather GUI in terms of output, like Graphs. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mack1982
6 Replies

4. High Performance Computing

Solaris 10 and OpenSolaris : Web Based Management tools and Sun Cluster installation

Gurus, I have several questions : 1. Does Solaris 10/OpenSolaris has some kind of web based management tools ? Currently I am using WebMin. It worked fine, however I am very curious to use the tools provided by Sun Microsystem. Please advise for package name and how to activate.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zepiroth
0 Replies

5. Linux

How do I boost the Linux performace

Hi All, I installed Linux recently on my PC and finding it difficult to boost its performance. It takes hell lot of time to open Mozilla, text pad , & even the booting process is too slow, many a times I got to manually power off to shutdown the computer. I will be glad if you could help me... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayfriend
18 Replies

6. HP-UX

XML parsing performace comparison with windows using sax

sorry wrong forum..i dont know how to delete this or how to move it to HP UX section... I tested SAX XML parsing using xerces(http://xerces.apache.org/xerces-j/). I tested on Windows XP and HP-UX . I found that parsing time on HP is 5 times that on Windows. My server startup reads a lot of XML... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saurabh.sid
1 Replies

7. Programming

Tools

hi, i'm using slackware 8 and i'm planning on doing some coding in C, but i don't have the tools (only gcc and not much more). what do you recommend? are there any editor and debuggers all in one prog? thx in advance for any suggestion (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crashnburn
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question