Storing the output of a Unix cmd in my C program

Top Forums Programming Storing the output of a Unix cmd in my C program
# 1  
Old 07-12-2010
Storing the output of a Unix cmd in my C program

Hello experts,

How can I retrieve the output from a Unix command and use it as string variable in my C program?
For example, when I issue the command 'date' I get:
Tue Jun 11 09:54:16 EEST 2009

I do not want to redirect the output of the command to a file and then open the file from my C program and then read the string.

Is there any other way?

Thank you in advance,
G.
# 2  
Old 07-12-2010
  1. Moved to programming
  2. instead of reading from an external program, why not use strftime?
# 3  
Old 07-12-2010
Use popen...it will give you a pointer to the output of date which can then be manipulated.
# 4  
Old 07-13-2010
thank you guys... I can do just that!
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing command output in an array

Hi, I want keep/save one command's output in an array and later want to iterate over the array one by one for some processing. instead of doing like below- for str in `cat /etc/passwd | awk -F: '$3 >100 {print $1}' | uniq` want to store- my_array = `cat /etc/passwd | awk -F: '$3 >100 {print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing output into a variable

My script below seems to be choking because I need the the output of the find command to be stored as a variable that can then be called by used lower in the script. #!/bin/bash cd "/resumes_to_be_completed" var1=find . -mmin -1 -type f \( -name "*.doc" -o -name "*.docx" \)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: binary-ninja
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing or Using Numeric Output From a Function

Hi all, I'm trying to implement a linear congruential pseudorandom number generator (<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_congruential_generator>), since $RANDOM and /dev/random aren't standardized. I'm referring to the Shell & Utilities volume of POSIX.1-2008, but I'm running into some odd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PehJota
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix cmd prompt how to get old cmd run?

Hi, I am using SunOS I want to serch my previous command from unix prompt (like on AIX we can search by ESC -k) how to get in SunOs urgent help require. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
10 Replies

5. Programming

popen hangs program during cmd execution

How can I get around this? when my program reaches the following popen job it halts the program until the ping/netstat/ipconfig/traceroute is completed then resume to the rest of the program... FILE *in; extern FILE *popen(); char buff; char newline; char nstat; char nping; ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jess83
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with `cat` the compiled output of C program in unix

Hello All, I have coded a C program which looks something like below... (program name: test.c) #include<stdio.h> main() { int dist,dm,dcm; printf(" Enter the distance between 2 cities in KM : "); scanf("%d",&dist); dm=dist*1000; dcm=dist*10; printf("Distance between 2 cities in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing awk output into variables

Hi all, Currently, i have a log file seperated by 'tab' and each record starting with a new line. i managed to retrieve the column that i'm interested in. (source_ip_address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx). example of awk output: '{ print $43 }' assuming the field is at column 43. 10.10.10.10... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: faelric
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Storing the output into a variable

Hi unix gurus, I am trying to store the result of a command into a variable. But it is not getting stored. x='hello' y=echo $x | wc -c but it is giving the output as 0(zero) Pls help me its very urgent (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing output of awk in variable

HI I am trying to store the output of this awk command awk -F, {(if NR==2) print $1} test.sr in a variable when I am trying v= awk -F, {(if NR==2) print $1} test.sr $v = awk -F, {(if NR==2) print $1} test.sr but its not working out . Any suggestions Thanks Arif (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mab_arif16
3 Replies

10. Programming

storing date into a file from a program

hi all: i want to store the current date in to a file from a program. every time i execute the prg the date should get appended into the file. help me plz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankpro
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question