process automation ...help needed

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users process automation ...help needed
# 1  
Old 10-21-2007
process automation ...help needed

hi all
i am working in a organisation where we are using Ab Initio tool for datawarehousing purpose.Ab initio is installed on a unix environment.after developing the code we migrate it to production using certain commands which gets executed in the unix box.there are specific number of predefined operations for which there are small commands with different parameters.
the process is as follows:
1.the developer after completing the code send a requst to the admin team with an excel sheet attachment where the operation to be done and parameters are specified.
2.Admin team does the operation by running the command and send a word document with project number and other details.
i want to do the entire process automated.i mean there shold be a specific tamplete where the developer has to fill the form and after clicking the submit button an autogenerated mail will be triggered to the admin teams mail box.our mail server is on unix.then after receving the mail the work will be done accordingly and on completion the word doc will be sent to the respective users.everyting will be automated.
i need your help to do the entire process.i have small idea about unix scripting.but not muchidea on portal development.and the mail server is on unix.we are using windoxs xp.we open unix session on our terminal through putty.
i ll keep posting my queries through the entire proess..
bye
# 2  
Old 10-21-2007
How and where do you intend to extract the information out of the Excel and Word documents?
# 3  
Old 10-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by porter
How and where do you intend to extract the information out of the Excel and Word documents?
i ll accept the information from excel sheet and use them as parameters for some commands.after the cmd gets executed successfully i ll prepare a word doc with the output and send it to specific mail id..everything should be automated
# 4  
Old 10-21-2007
Yes at a 20,000ft view that is true, I am asking after the mechanics.

You will find it non-trival to extract data from a Word or Excel document on a UNIX machine, they are native Windows formats, and such is the way of the world, that the easiest place to manipulate those is with OLE, VisualBasic or .Net code in a Windows environment.

So imagine you had a windows program that used MAPI to retrieve the emails, extract the attachments, use Excel and Word to extract the fields, then use putty's plink to send that data to a UNIX host.
# 5  
Old 10-21-2007
i agree to the fact you have mentioned.
can u please suggest any alternative approach to do the same
# 6  
Old 10-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr46014
can u please suggest any alternative approach to do the same
You could try using OpenOffice to crack the Word/Excel file format but I think that would be far more work.

If you have Windows environments in your mix then use them to do those jobs that are easiest on a Windows platform. Life is short enough as it is and I imagine you want a solution sooner rather than later.
# 7  
Old 10-21-2007
Hi.

As an aside, from my reading of the blurb at Ab Initio Software Corporation: About Ab Initio it looks like it is intended to solve these kinds of automation problems for you ... cheers, drl
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CUPs automation

A little background information: We are a company that uses Sharp MFP devices for everyone to print on. We have a lot of MAC BYOD devices. All printing is done through a product called PaperCut which is ran on a Windows 2008 R2 server. Sharp charges our company for each print job done in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jdmorecraft
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script help needed to manage FTP automation

Hi, I am very new in shell scripting. Have managed to prepare a script which will work to download data to local directory. But facing below problem. :wall: Please help me out. Thanks in advance. Problem: 1. I am unable to use delete command to delete data in the ftp location (I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ImranBD
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Idea needed regarding process related script

I want to write a script which will take two time as input parameters and display the details of running processes between the two times, any ideas about the script ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandip250382
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help in automation

Hi, I wanted to automate the scp command where i do not want to enter the password each time. So thought of using expect command. Script is executing without any issues but files are not copied to remote server. Can any one help me? Below is my shell script.. #!/bin/ksh ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: balasubramani04
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating an automation process in unix .

hi i need shell script in ksh for the automation process in informtica. The automation process is like this . i have a folder in unix . when this folder gets updated (like if a file or files is/are added to the folder) an event in informatica is triggered and after the process is done in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar8887
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automation of manual process

my problem step by step... 1.I have 5 files at the location (/usr/abc) for example file1, file2, file3, file4 and fe.ok 2. I have to transfer 2 of the above files from which one is fixed file (fe.ok) for example file1 and fe.ok to usr/dob using cp command. 3.After transferring i will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_panky
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in killing a process

I'm trying to kill a process which is in sleep mode and the parent PID is 1 but I can't kill it with "kill -9" command. Is there a way to kill this process without rebooting? Any help will be appreciated. Steve (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed to understand the process entry in ps -ef

Hi Guys, I am running a script which will refresh the views in my database. After running the script, when i ran ps -ef | grep "script_name" I found there are two entries for the same script process (actually 3 including the grep process). /bin/ksh path/scriptname sh -c... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in automation...

Hi All, I need to run the same command on many servers. I am using ssh for the same. Following is the script that I am using to fire the same command on multiple machines. #!/bin/bash # Linux/UNIX box with ssh key based login #SERVERS="iqmevrick,iqmango" # SSH User name USR="root" #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nua7
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Runaway process. Opinions needed

not too long ago, i wrote a very short script that will bring up 4 customized xterms. The script went completely abnormal simply because of an error I had made in a while loop. This script took control of the system and rendered everything useless. The system admin team which i was part of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question