[FreeBSD] Unable to unmount

Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory [FreeBSD] Unable to unmount
# 1  
Old 12-09-2002
Data [FreeBSD] Unable to unmount

I have mounted an ISO-file to do a network install of Red Hat. Afterwards, I removed the ISO and forgot about the mount.
Now, I am unable to unmount this mount, because the target no longer exists...
Quote:
[root@chinook] root #mount
the usual stuff here
/dev/vn0c on /home/user/Red Hat 8 ISO/psyche-i386-disc5 (cd9660, local, read-only)
[root@chinook] root #
Here's the error I get when I try to unmount:
Quote:
[root@chinook] root #umount /dev/vn0c
umount: unmount of /home/user/Red Hat 8 ISO/psyche-i386-disc5 failed: Invalid argument
Even if I put all the files back and remount, I cannot unmount is, this is probably because it uses a different inode now.

How can I get rid of this listing in mount? I do not want to reboot this machine, since it has almost 1 year uptime...
# 2  
Old 12-09-2002
You can edit /etc/fstab (and perhaps reboot).
# 3  
Old 12-09-2002
Data Unfortunately...

I manually mounted it, so it was not listed in /etc/fstab... Smilie

I had kind of hoped to resolve this without a reboot... Thanks anyway.
# 4  
Old 12-09-2002
Re: Unfortunately...

Quote:
Originally posted by indo1144
I manually mounted it, so it was not listed in /etc/fstab... Smilie

I had kind of hoped to resolve this without a reboot... Thanks anyway.
Try umount -f to force the unmount of the now dead ISO image or try to umount by the mounted sub-dir name:

Code:
umount /mnt/some_iso_image_of_redhat

# 5  
Old 12-10-2002
Re: Re: Unfortunately...

Sigh.... It no longer matters, the problem is solved...

I had a power outage and it took a little longer than the UPS's could provide for... My entire home-network performed a shutdown... Most of these machines had been on for as long as one year...

Bye bye uptime... Smilie

What a waste...

Thanks to all who replied!
# 6  
Old 12-10-2002
Re: Re: Re: Unfortunately...

Quote:
Originally posted by indo1144

I had a power outage and it took a little longer than the UPS's could provide for... My entire home-network performed a shutdown... Most of these machines had been on for as long as one year...

Bye bye uptime... Smilie

What a waste...

It was just Mr. Murphy trying to show you the way he wanted it done... Smilie
# 7  
Old 12-11-2002
Quote:

Bye bye uptime...

What a waste...

Now thats got to hurt!! Smilie
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Filesystem unable unmount

Hi all , I have issue oracle filesystem name /oracle/SID unable to unmount even though no any process are running mentioned fs .would appreciate anyone assist further high level .my system running aix 6.1 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arulji
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unmount files via script

Hi all, I have a requirement to do an upgrade. As part of that upgrade I have to unmounts files in the fstab (there could be 100's), is there a way I can do this via script? The problem is, is that the mount points on every server will be different.... For example: /u001/oradata/T865 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gartie
4 Replies

3. BSD

Unable to create zfs zpool in FreeBSD 8.2: no such pool or dataset

I am trying to test simple zfs functionality on a FreeBSD 8.2 VM. When I try to run a 'zpool create' I receive the following error: # zpool create zfspool /dev/da0s1a cannot create 'zfspool': no such pool or dataset # zpool create zfspool /dev/da0 cannot create 'zfspool': no such pool or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstring
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unmount the partition

Dear all, I have a two hard drive.On the second (/dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdb2) hard drive i have two partitions. The /dev/sdb2 has been mounted on the /home2 directory.I want to unmount that /dev/sdb2.I have no idea to how to do it.Can anybody give me the details about that?. Regards, Prakashkumar.S (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakashkumar41
2 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Can we unmount device?

Hi, I know that if we need to unmount a device, we use the command umount mount-point, example 'umount /tmp/mount1' But We can also unmount the device with device name example 'umount /dev/hda6'. NOTE: I think in RHEL3 we cannot unmount with device name. Correct me if I am wrong. What... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
1 Replies

6. AIX

Unmount strongly command

Dear Guy's I'm making script to easier my work to mount and unmount some file systems I'm executing this command umount -f /file_system To unmount the file system but some times is not allow the un mounting it's giving me device is busy ... I want to know is there any another... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

/opt will not unmount to extendfs

The /opt file system needs to be extended. I know the basic commands, but /opt will not unmount. fuser shows nothing and I see no jobs running from /opt. If I need to take it down to single user mode to do this, then what is the best command? Any help is appreciated. Is there a way to stop all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joettacm
3 Replies

8. IP Networking

Unable to ping freebsd machine using fully qualified domain name

hi all. am unable to ping a freebsd machine using fully qualified domain name from a windows machine. i have already set the fqdn for the machine. plz advise me. thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
2 Replies

9. Programming

Application crashes in FreeBSD 7.1 while working ok in FreeBSD 6.3

Hello there, My mulithreaded application (which is too large to represent the source code here) is crashing after installing FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE/amd64. It worked properly on others machines (Dual Cores with 4GB of RAM - FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE/i386). The current machine has 2x Core 2 Duo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Seenquev
1 Replies

10. AIX

how do i unmount ?

hi all, I am new to AIX as well as UNIX also ,i have a question One of my program has created a new filesystem on the system..... df shows : /dev/fslv04 2031616 2030648 1% 3 1% /replicas/source when i tried to umount the above filesystem by umount... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshi_k
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question