Production Directory Structures

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Production Directory Structures
# 1  
Old 07-06-2006
Production Directory Structures

We (our company) has just purchased a new IBM unix machine. We have been doing some research and have found that it is NOT a good idea to put your own in-house-written applications under the existing file folders such as /usr or /bin ect. Instead you should place these applications in directories created below the /HOME directory. Is this correct??

Are there suggestions as to where to put your in house developed applications??

Thanks in advance for any replies.
# 2  
Old 07-06-2006
we do the latter were i work. i have put a few scripts in the usr/bin just because i didn't want to play around with the PATH to much. why we do it, i don't know i just know it's good practise to do it (maybe even best practise).
# 3  
Old 07-07-2006
Most large applications place all their code and libraries under a wholly separate directory tree, for example Oracle, Passport, etc. If you want failover, each directory should be on it's own filesystem and physical disk, served from a SAN or other file server. Whichever system is currently in the role of production box can then mount them.
# 4  
Old 07-07-2006
So it does sound like putting directories under /usr is not wise and we would be better off creating a production directory structure under the /HOME directory.

Thanks for the replies and please feel free to add to this if my above assumption is not correct OR there are differing opinions.

Thanks again.
# 5  
Old 07-10-2006
I wouldn't recommend /home, this is really for users' home directories for their private data. I'm with Jim's advice on this one - keep major applications in their own file systems so that they can be backed up easily and can't be affected by a UNIX installation/upgrade.
For a good (and very detailed) overview of (one group's ideas) of how directories should structured, see http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html
# 6  
Old 07-11-2006
I'm a little confused. When you say "keep major applications in their own file systems" do you mean create their own directories at the root level????

After briefly reading the detailed document you provided (thanks) it said that you should not create additional subdirectories at the root level.
# 7  
Old 07-11-2006
You are going to get a lot of different opinions as to what's "best".
My suggestion to you would be to determine what your needs are within your environment (as in what's in your new box, how extensive/mission critical your in-house apps are) before making a decision.
How extensive are these in-house applications? Something small that requires little hard drive space, it's easy to re-install, and has no data that needs to be backed up can go in /usr/local/bin. If you are talking about something like Oracle, or Netcool, or Suitespot, i.e., applications that require lots of hard drive space, need to be backed up, etc, you'd want to put those in their own slice (or disk, depending on what you have). Whether is off / or /usr/ or whenever, it doesn't matter as long as they are in their own slice/disk; technically, they wouldn't be off any of those directories. Ex: /opt can sit in /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s6, and have /opt/netcool sit on /dev/dsk/c2t3d1s4. If you issue an ls command, it'd seem that netcool is off /opt, but if you issue a df command, you'll find out it isn't.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

C- static initialization of structures

Situation: I have an array of structures: struct my_struct_type { char tags_sn; char group_c; char is_err_c; }; struct my_struct_type stuff = { "abcd", 'A', 'E', "efgh", 'B', 'E', "ijkl", 'C', 'E' NULL, '\0', '\0' ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: garysk
14 Replies

2. Programming

Signalsafe data structures

Hello, I have a signal handler which manipulates a data structure. The data structure's operations aren't atomic. So if two threads/processes are in a critical section at the same time the data structure will be broken. With threads you can avoid this stuff with semaphores etc. However,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: littlegnome
10 Replies

3. BSD

Copying OpenBSD Kernel from a non production to production machine

Hi All, There are few OpenBSD 4.8 servers without compiler installed at my working place. However, sometimes there are some patches released for patching the kernel. My question is: Can I setup a non production OpenBSD 4.8 server as a test machine with compiler installed and use it to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lcxpics
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Data Structures

Here is what i need to do. @data #has all column wise data so say info for col 1 location for all rows would be in this array $array = \@data But i need to create a file which should contain these information in a format for all columns even if i have got no values from some of the index... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete duplicate files from one of two directory structures

Hello everyone, I have been struggling to clean up a back-up mess I created when manually duplicating a directory structure and then working in both of them.. The structures now are significantly different and contain in the order of 15 k files of which most are duplicates. Now I am trying to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: procreator
0 Replies

6. Programming

Dynamically allocated structures in C

I have a pointer to a structure containing an integer pointer: struct members { int id; int *neigh; }; The number of members N and its neighbors M change as the code runs, so I allocate the memory dynamically: members *grid = malloc(sizeof(members)*N); for(i=0;i<N;i++)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brinch
2 Replies

7. Linux

about system structures

hello can any1 plz tell me about the system defined structures (like sysinfo) which wil give system and n/w charecteristics (ex: freeram in sysinfo). (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeenat
1 Replies

8. Programming

Programming using Structures

Hi All, I was given a format of a file, and was asked to write a program which displays the data contained in the file in that purticular format. Its all so confusing. Please find the example of the format as well the code I have written in the attachment. I hope any one of u guyz can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazz
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

help:comparing two directory tree structures only

Hi I what, a script snippet for "comparing two directory tree structures only " not the contents of directories(like files..etc). Thanking you a lot. Regards Rajesh (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj_thota
7 Replies

10. Programming

pointer to structures

Dear friends I have a bit basic doubts in pointers and the structures inter relationships. the first one. static struct apvt { int dead; int pending; int abouttograb; }*agents=NULL; what agents pointer is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tech_voip
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question