Problem with sed

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with sed
# 1  
Old 09-25-2011
Problem with sed

I need to insert, or replace a character at a designated row and column in a text file with sed. Heres the code:

Code:
sed "${row} s/./${newchar}/${col}" >test.txt

Everytime I use this code on cygwin, It doesn't work, it just has me input text without an end.

So why isn't it working?

Also, how I can put a variable in the "row", "newchar", and "col", area so it can move to a script designated spot in the text file?
# 2  
Old 09-25-2011
can you post your thread with example that really helpful to everyone.
# 3  
Old 09-25-2011
The example is on my first post
# 4  
Old 09-25-2011
Your example does not use an input file
# 5  
Old 09-25-2011
Code:
sed "${3} s/./${\n}/${10}" <test.txt >test.txt

# 6  
Old 09-25-2011
The >test.txt shell redirection truncates test.txt before sed is even invoked. You need to use a temp file for that (even if it's implicit, such as via gnu sed's -i).

Regards,
Alister
# 7  
Old 09-25-2011
${col} doesn't mean that it will replace in the column you have specified. For eg:-
Code:
sed '3 s/you/me/4' file

The above code means, replace "you" with "me" in line #3 for the fourth occurrence of "you" and not in fourth column.

--ahamed
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed Or Grep Problem OR Terminal Problem?

I don't know if you guys get this problem sometimes at Terminal but I had been having this problem since yesterday :( Maybe I overdid the Terminal. Even the codes that used to work doesn't work anymore. Here is what 's happening: * I wanted to remove lines containing digits so I used this... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
25 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed problem

Hi Folks, I want to replace these numbers with words as the following: $echo 1 11 223 I want to replace each number with it name (e.g. "1" replaced with "one", etc.) just to determine how sed works in such case. Thanks in advance:). Leo (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo_ultra_leo
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem

Hi i am stuck with a very silly problem :mad: below is my code echo 201010_1212_121.xml i need to replace xml with csv so i did echo 201010_1212_121.xml | sed 's/.*\.xml/.*\.csv/' echo 201010_1212_121.xml | sed 's/*.xml/*.csv/' echo 201010_1212_121.xml |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
4 Replies

4. Programming

sed problem

Hi all In input file I have records like this: 0,1,0,87,0,0,"6,87","170,03",0,"43,5",0,0,0,0,"6,87","126,53"and in output file I need that these records transforms in : 0 1 0 87 0 0 6,87 170,03 0 43,5 0 0 0 0 6,87 126,53 Could you help me in this case? Please (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shizik
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - Problem

I have a file with a lot of numbers in it and I need to clean it up and make it look nice and proper. I found this little gem of a one-liner and basically understand what it is doing but I would like to further understand what each part of the command is doing. Being a newb, I am just trying to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: genedc1
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Problem

I have a file which contain many lines see below. "/var/www/abc>" I want to remove Both of these values "" and > (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aliahsan81
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in sed.

Hi All! I am trying to use shell variables in a sed statement, but facing an error.I used the double quotes instead if single quotes in the sed statement. # sed -i -e "s/password/$decoded/g;" $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml sed: -e expression #1, char 11: unterminated `s' command # ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with SED

Hi, I have to use SED to remove the prefix "219-" from a text file containing phone numbers and I have to remove the ":" as well. I write the following code but it does not seem to work. Can someone help me please? mohit@mohit-desktop:~$ sed -n s/219-/" "/p corp_phones_bak > noprefix1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with sed

Hi , echo "07/05/2008" | sed 's/\(..\)\/\(..\)\/\(..\)/\3\2\1/' Output :: 20050708 Expected output is 20080507 Iam not getting the bug in this. Thanks for the help -- penchal (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchal_boddu
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed Problem

I AM TRYING TO APPEND THE HOSTNAME OF A UNIX SERVER I WORK WITH SO I COULD DO A LOADING INTO A DATABASE. THE COMMAND I AM USING IS df -k | sed 's/^/dataserver /' What I intend to do is append the hostname dynamically by using the hostname command instead of having to manually enter... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chelsea
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question