change wallpaper in CDE

Operating Systems Solaris change wallpaper in CDE
# 1  
Old 06-22-2004
Bug change wallpaper in CDE

I'm running Solaris 9, using the CDE gui on a SunBlade 100. I want to substitute the generic wallpapers that CDE has, with my own, i.e. my kids, dog, etc.

Suggestions? Directions??

Thanks in advance.
# 2  
Old 06-22-2004
If you have a picture in jpeg format or otherwise convert it to XPM format with fewer than 80 colors. Drop it into /usr/dt/backdrops/ with an extension of .pm.

Conversion to XPM format can be done by any standard formatting software.

Chill
;-)
# 3  
Old 06-22-2004
Thanks for the info, though I am only partly successful.

I've reduced the size of the pic (saved it as .pm) from 306 x 402 pixels to 32 x 32 (the size of the other backdrops) and made the pic greyscale or reduced color. Either way, the backdrop doesn't show. Before I reduced the size I was only seeing 1/3 of the pic and it was overlapping itself.

A workaround for me is to run xv, set the image as a tiled, and then I'm ok.

Ideally, I would like to set the backdrop using the CDE backdrop function.

Thanks again...Smilie
# 4  
Old 03-03-2005
Question

Well,
as a user, I don't have access rights to write in that directory, so is there any other place I can put my wallpapers.. Smilie
( I connect to my Solaris machine thru Hummingbird Exceed. ( Graphical Login )
# 5  
Old 03-03-2005
You can put the pic in your default directory. Type 'pwd' (without the quotes) at your prompt. The path shown should be your default directory.
# 6  
Old 03-03-2005
Jes

Dear, i used the same configuration and i though better install the java enterpriser system(free download in sun site) My desktop change completely your appearance... you´ve much more options of acebility, at all...
# 7  
Old 03-05-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by antalexi
You can put the pic in your default directory. Type 'pwd' (without the quotes) at your prompt. The path shown should be your default directory.
I am sorry!!
I did not get you... Smilie

I go to 'Style Manager' -> 'Backdrop'

But how to choose my directory that contains my cat's pic ??? Smilie
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Xml file wallpaper

Hello, I have a custom background in my Fedora 14 OS. which changes every 10 mins, I was able to edit an Xml file for this purpose. The structure of the Xml file looks as follows : <!-- This animation will start at time shown above. --> <static> <duration>600.0</duration> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wallpaper script

Have trouble picking a wallpaper. Let your computer pick for you. #!/bin/bash # (Change to your path to photos) Pictures='/home/josh/Pictures' ## Pick new image function pick_new_bg () { backgrounds=( $( < ~/.background_temp) ) num_backgrounds=${#backgrounds }... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtsmith90
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Connect to SunOS CDE from another CDE

I have two CDE desktop accounts on different server (called this CDE#1, CDE#2) on the same network. However, my current setup is connecting to the Solaris CDE#1,CDE#2 via Citrix. My plan is to connect to CD#1 and then somehow connect to CDE#2. How do I do this? I am just a regular user... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tthach830
0 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to migrate Solaris 10 CDE config to HP-UX CDE.

Hello, Do you guys by any chance know what is the best (if any ) way to move CDE configuration from a SOLARIS 10 machine to HP-UX? Just the config (actions, text files etc). Thanks in advance! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: binary0x01
0 Replies

5. Solaris

CDE password change on expiration

Hello, I am using Solaris 10 with CDE and like to change the behaviour of the login process. I have a user account that is configured for password aging. Currently, when his password expires, CDE prompts him to change his password when login in. What I'd like is that the user cannot... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gorfou
5 Replies

6. Solaris

How to change CDE screen resolution?

I searched and found something about kdmconfig, but it's not installed. Isn't there an easy way to change the screen resolution in the CDE by right clicking or anything like that (like in Linux's KDE)? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lyonsd
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Putting Wallpaper on the Desktop

How do I put wallpaper from the internet on the Unix desktop? For example, I want to know how to perform the same operation as "right click-> Set as Wallpaper" on a graphics on a web page, in Windows. Thanks! :rolleyes: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pireifej
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cde

Hi There, easy one for you. I am using Solaris 7 on my desktop at home and I don't want to invoke the CDE environment when I boot up. I want it to just boot up to the command line to save on memory. What do I have to do in order to do this? Thanks for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gerwhelan
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wallpaper anyone?

we have a UNIX workstation using 'CDE' desktop manager, i'ts kind of dull seeing the same wallpaper all over again and again and again everyday. is it possible put my own wallpaper? how? i'm sure it is not similar with windows wherein you just put your bitmap file in the windows folder or is it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquirer
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question