Linux/Ubuntu Mondo/Mindi question, please help...

Operating Systems Linux SuSE Linux/Ubuntu Mondo/Mindi question, please help...
# 1  
Old 07-22-2008
Linux/Ubuntu Mondo/Mindi question, please help...

I am not very good with Linux/Ubuntu (I'm a newbie) but I will explain my problem as best I can and I hope someone can help me.

I have an Ubuntu Server, version 6.10 and installed on it is a Postgresql database which I have about 100 remote clients constantly accessing it (sending and requesting data). I also have the latest version of Mondo installed and I recently made a live back up (when I did the backup to .iso images, I left Postgresql running and the box connected to the database, with the remote clients still using the database).

Mondo made 6 .iso images which I later moved to a Windows XP Pro machine and burned CD's with them (there were no errors when buring the iso images to CDs).

I then took an exact duplicate machine (both are Dell's with same exact hardware inside) and booted off the 1st CD and began to 'restore' the backup on this new machine using the Mondo/Mindi GUI.
During the process after the 1st CD just started to be 'restored' to this new machine, I got an error that mentioned 'out of memory' 'Kill process 12420 (mondorestore) score 164 and children' ... and left me at a 'BusyBox 1.00' prompt....

My question is; Did this 'restore error' happen because I made the mondo backup with postgresql live and running while clients where still accessing the machine?

Do you think if I shut down Postgresql and pulled the machine off the internet, and then did a Mondo back up, the 'restore' would then work?

I appreciate any and all help you can give me.

Thank you.
# 2  
Old 07-22-2008
It is entirely possible that this occurred. May I also ask one question? Why did you choose Ubuntu, as well as version 6.10? Besides being nearly 2 years old, I never found Ubuntu to be the best setup for a server. Others may disagree. I would recommend SUSE or CentOS (Red Hat).
# 3  
Old 07-22-2008
I had an outside programmer set up the server/database for me; and it was about 2 years ago when it was done. It's always ran good and has done what I needed it to, that is why I haven't updated it. 'Dont fix whats not broken' is what I always say when it comes to computers/software...
I still work with this outside programmer, but I want to depend on them less and less now; that is why I want to back the server up incase I mess it up...
# 4  
Old 07-22-2008
The out of memory error looks more like a problem with the restore application than the backup. If looks lik it was unable to find sufficient memory to perform the tasks is trying to run, or that it could not fork a child process becasue there was no memory available. How much RAM is in the machine you are restoring to?
# 5  
Old 07-22-2008
The machine I am restoring to is an exact duplicate of the original machine.
It has 1.0 Gig of Ram (Pentium 4, 2.8 Ghz, 80Gig HD, 1.0 Gig RAM....)
# 6  
Old 07-23-2008
I tried again to back up to ISOs and this time I stopped the server and did it.
But again when I go to 'restore' it to new machine (which mirrors the original machine), I still get the same errors ....
Does anyone have any ideas?
'reborg', you asked how much memory the machine has that I am restoring to, and it has 1.0 Gig ; which is the same amount of RAM the original server has ....
Is there a reason why I would need more ram?
# 7  
Old 07-24-2008
if the mondo/mindi is using a ramdisk, then there may not be as much memory as is needed to perform the operation.

Have you tried their forum for any explanation?
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Ubuntu

Question about installing Cinnamon in Ubuntu

Hi, If I install Cinnamon according to the instruction in the following link: Ubuntu + Cinnamon - A good idea? No. A great one. will I still have unity, and will I still be able to choose unity when my ubuntu will start? Thank in advance ---------- Post updated at 09:48 PM ----------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
0 Replies

2. Programming

Help with C in linux Ubuntu 12.04

I'm trying to use the sytem() to send a terminal command. I haven't been able to run the program. Can someone show me how am I suppose to write this command: (echo "#o1" > /dev/ttyUSB1). Is there a better way to use the command on the C file so that when I call the file and run it on the terminal... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hector M.
11 Replies

3. Ubuntu

XP and Linux (Ubuntu) on same disk, Can I install Ubuntu on not-yet partitioned portion of disk?

My PC (Esprimo, 3 yeas old) has one hard drive having 2 partitions C: (80 GB NTFS, XP) and D: (120 GB NTFS, empty) and and a 200 MB area that yet is not-partitioned. I would like to try Ubuntu and to install Ubuntu on the not-partitioned area . The idea is to have the possibility to run... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: C.Weidemann
7 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How to create mondo backup for size > 4.5 GB

Hello Friends, I use mondoarchive to take a bootable backup of my system on a DVD. But whenever there are large files on the system, i.e. the size of the entire backup increases beyond 4.5 GB, the mondoarchive utility does not take any backup. This is quite obvious because the size of DVD is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shamik
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ubuntu 9.04 router question

Hello I am new to Ubuntu and I have a quick question about router settings. When I connect directly to my cable Internet ubuntu works fine. But when I connect it to my router I can't get connectivity. I am using ubuntu 9.04 and am using D-link DI-604 router. I have reset both my router and modem... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jae99
0 Replies

6. Linux

HELP! Problems with Mondo Archiver

I'm running Centos 5 and have compiled the latest and greatest version of Mondo Archiver. I can run the back up manually by just running mondoarchiver with no arguments and answering all of the questions. My problem is that when I try to run it from a batch file so I can use run it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wpflum
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question