Driver problem with Ubuntu 10.10

Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Driver problem with Ubuntu 10.10
# 1  
Old 02-18-2011
Driver problem with Ubuntu 10.10

I have a Dell laptop with Ubuntu 10.10 installed in it. The headphone driver is not supportive in my system but it works really well with other laptops like HP.
So my question is that does Ubuntu 10.10 in Dell does not work? Moreover, if i upgrade my system later with 11.04, will the problem still be there or 11.04 might support the headphone driver?
# 2  
Old 02-18-2011
There's no "dell driver" for all dell past, present, and future, we need to know what your laptop is. Laptops have especially strange arrangements of hardware because of how cramped they are; often needing model-specific fixes and their own special drivers, not the generic ones. This is often true even in Windows.

Ubuntu has a lot of tuning to accommodate known hardware, but it doesn't know everything; Dell doesn't ship with Linux fixes the way it ships with Windows ones, they have to do it the hard way, themselves. You've lucked out with HP before but that was just luck: my HP's sound didn't work out of the box... In short: You can't expect Ubuntu to be spot-on perfect on hardware they haven't had a chance to test on.

If you can access IRC you could login to freenode and ask on the #alsa channel, I've found them especially helpful for linux sound problems. They knew settings right-off that'd take me weeks to stumble on with google.
# 3  
Old 02-18-2011
So... can I solve this problem by using the terminal? Do we have any command to solve this problem?
# 4  
Old 02-18-2011
I repeat: I need to know what your laptop is.

These problems are model-specific, the fixes also model-specific. There is not a /usr/bin/make_sound_work_better.sh that will magically know what's wrong and fix it.

The fix that worked for my HP laptop(which involved forcing the ALSA drivers to believe it was a toshiba!) will not work for your Dell.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:
# 5  
Old 02-19-2011
To know what's your soundcard : lshw, find the data concerning the sound and then you can try a search with the reference and "ubuntu" as keywords.
# 6  
Old 02-21-2011
...or you could tell us what your laptop is.
# 7  
Old 02-23-2011
Could anyone help me with how to convert rtf file to ttf file in ubuntu terminal?
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Debian

Problem with Wifi driver on Debian Jessie

Hi, I am Konrad , I am a new user of this forum. I am from Poland, so my English isn't good enough. So please be forgiving for me. I read about Bits club or something like that, So I don't know, that I am allowed to write here. But nevertheless I have faced with small problem with wifi driver on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kondziorek
4 Replies

2. Hardware

Centos 5.8 video driver problem

i have an older server from about 2001 i was given. i recently lost the OS drive on the system and dicided to go to linux instead of windows. i have tried open suse, centos and both do just about the same thing. they boot fine then they go into installing drivers it hits vidio driver then another... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TUX servers
4 Replies

3. Hardware

Difference between platform driver,codec driver and Machine driver

In general terms what are the differences platform driver,codec driver and Machine driver? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Is Ubuntu OS good? Do you need to install any driver after installing it?

I'm planning to install the Ubuntu OS on my laptop(currently has windows Vista), but I don't know if Ubuntu is good. Do you need to install any drivers for Ubuntu? Can I send stuff to my printer in Ubuntu? Is it compatible with my printer driver? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

boot option Available partitions 0b00 1048575 sr0 driver:sr 0800 488386584 sda driver:sd

Help, suspect hacked via serial or electric! any ideas on error "Pid:1, comm:swapper Tainted:G W 2.6.35-22 generic #33 -unbutu device = "(null)" or unknown-blocklist(8.1) please append a correct "root"boot option Available partitions 0b00 1048575 sr0 driver:sr 0800 488386584 sda driver:sd. Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kryclear
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 10, problem with attaching driver

Today I installed Solaris driver for my NIC card (downloaded from OpenSolaris site ) I`m using Solaris 10 x86 based PC ! When I installation was completed I saw a message "Warning driver successfully added to system bad failed to atach " , then i looked at /etc/drivers_aliases and saw... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making a ppd driver for Minolta 3100 on CUPS/Ubuntu

Hello I have a Minolta QMS Magicolor 3100 printer. A driver is available (Minolta-magicolor_3100-Postscript.ppd) for Linux, installed using foomatic, but it does not work properly. The resolution is at it's lowest and a poor quality grainy print results. The printer works fine under Windows XP... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bwallum
0 Replies

8. Ubuntu

istalling postgresql driver on ubuntu

Hello everybody i am working on ubuntu 9.4 and i want to connect from erlang program to postgresql database i download the driver for postgresql from Open Source Projects from Erlang Training and Consultng Ltd. then i try to setup this driver using make install and it didn't work, So can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reham$
4 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Which GFX driver version am I'm using under Ubuntu 7.04?

I just did a fresh install of Ubuntu 7.04 with a Gnome desktop. Following some instructions on the ATI site I think I just managed to install 8.36.5 of the drivers for my Radeon 9500, I'm getting a "Proprietary Drivers in use" warning icon at the top right of the screen, which I activated with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mark Ward
0 Replies

10. Solaris

SUNWglmr -- rasctrl environment monitoring driver for i2c or SCSI device driver ?

I've been researching minimizeing Solaris 8 and found that on the web page http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/packagelist/s8u7PkgList/p2.html the package SUNWglmr is listed as "rasctrl environment monitoring driver for i2c, (Root) (32-bit)" while in the document "Solaris 8 minimize-updt1.pdf"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: roygoodwin
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question