How to move a directory from thumb drive to mac?

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to move a directory from thumb drive to mac?
# 1  
Old 03-29-2011
How to move a directory from thumb drive to mac?

I do some scripting during lunch on the macbookpro at work. I have the necessary folders on a thumb drive from my mac at home, and move them with the mv command to the mbpro so I don't have to change the script itself to access the necessary files on the thumb drive, and then change the code again when I'm back on the imac at home.

Anyhoo ... yesterday I tried to move the necessary folders to the thumb drive from my iMac, but got a a message saying

(directory name) is a directory -- not copied.

Can anyone tell me why it would do this -- may it have something to do with the permissions or author of the files -- perhaps the author of the files changes depending on what machine the updated code is written on?
# 2  
Old 03-29-2011
What, exactly, did you do? Was this in a terminal or with the GUI?
# 3  
Old 03-29-2011
Not specific to OS X when copying a directory, you should do it recursively, if using cp:

Code:
cp -r ....

I suppose you are using cp and not mv, since mv has no such error:
Code:
$ strings $(which mv) | grep "is a directory" 
(no output)

$ strings $(which cp) | grep "is a directory" 
%s is a directory (not copied).

(that, and the fact, the error goes something like:
Code:
cp: (directory name) is a directory (not copied).

Last edited by Scott; 03-29-2011 at 03:07 PM..
# 4  
Old 03-29-2011
I was doing it in the Terminal application, yes. Actually, scottn, that's the message I was getting, I think. I'll try again in the next few days at home and let you know.
# 5  
Old 03-29-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straitsfan
I was doing it in the Terminal application, yes.
Doing what in the terminal, though? Don't make us guess Smilie
# 6  
Old 03-29-2011
Sorry-- I was trying to move (mv command) the directories using the Terminal Application -- and if I remember correctly, I was getting the 'not copied' message.
# 7  
Old 03-31-2011
Got the same message today. I was on the mac at work during lunch, and decided to see what would happen. I created an empty directory in the home folder called vendors, and tried to copy it to the root folder, /. (Is that the right name?) When I did, I got

cp: vendors/ is a directory (not copied).

I get the same message with the mv command. Can anyone tell me what's going on? according to my research, you copy a directory with this command, but it's not working. And by the way, I can do this in the GUI (simply by dragging), but not from the command line.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script cannot create directory and move the file to that directory

I have a script, which is checking if file exists and move it to another directory if then mkdir -p ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly mv report_manual_alloc_rpt_A_I_ASSIGNMENT.${Today}*.csv ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to move gz files from one source directory to destination directory?

Hi All, Daily i am doing the house keeping in one of my server and manually moving the files which were older than 90 days and moving to destination folder. using the find command . Could you please assist me how to put the automation using the shell script . ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat918
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with date, create directory, move to the created directory

Hi all, i have a folder, with tons of files containing as following, on /my/folder/jobs/ some_name_2016-01-17-22-38-58_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-40-30_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-48-50_some name_0_0.zip.done and these can be lots of similar files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to move .csv file from UNIX path to windows shared drive or c:\ drive

Hi Guys, Can any one help me on this. I need help to move .csv/.xls file from unix path to windows shared drive or c:\ drive? Regards, LKR (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lakshmanraok117
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

How to move the entire system to a new larger drive?

Hi, I have a problem again and I hope that someone on this forum will help me in solving it. My English is weak, but I'll try to describe it clearly. I have an old computer ( HP B180) with HP-UX 10.20. I've done the hard disk image using G4L and replaced the drive. Old drive has 4.3 GB and 9.1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ftwojtek
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move the latest or older File from one directory to another Directory

I Need help for one requirement, I want to move the latest/Older file in the folder to another file. File have the datetimestamp in postfix. Example: Source Directory : \a destination Directory : \a\b File1 : xy_MMDDYYYYHHMM.txt (xy_032120101456.txt) File2: xy_MMDDYYYYHHMM.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pp_ayyanar
1 Replies

7. SCO

Occasional Core Dump with hot swap USB Thumb Drive

Hello Unix World, I've been having this issue for the longest time. Here is my setup OS: SCO OpenServer 6.0 with mp4, mp3 Server: Dell PowerEdge 840, 800, 2900 USB Stick: Patriot 16GB High Speed, and many other different brands. Occasinaly while system is running and USB is pluged in the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: miles556
0 Replies

8. Solaris

move DVD drive between domains in M5000

Hi, I 've a M5000 system with 2 domains configured on it. How can i move the DVD from one domain to the other ? so that i can access the drive in the second domain. cfgdevice -l does not work on M5000 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use GPG for myself on Thumb drive?

I have some sensitive data I would like to keep on a thumb drive. Now I know this is a UNIX/Linux forum and I regret to say that I'm using windows but I'm hoping that is irrelevant. So I install gpg on both windows machines: one at home and the other at work. I encrypt some stuff on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move all files in a directory tree to a signal directory?

Is this possible? Let me know If I need specify further on what I am trying to do- I just want to spare you the boring details of my personal file management. Thanks in advance- Brian- (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question