Virtualizing Physical Machine

Operating Systems AIX Virtualizing Physical Machine
# 1  
Old 01-04-2016
Virtualizing Physical Machine

Hi Experts -
we have power710 (no VIOs) that is already connected to hmc and everything . I already have a Physical LPAR in there and network configured . Now I plan to delete that LPAR and then put Virtualization code (COD) to virtualize that machine by building VIO servers and stuff.Also ordered some memory dimm to increase memory from 32 GB to 128 GB. Now what conversation I have to have with the network Administrator ? Like I said it is already in the network , in a subnet , Now I want to create a SEA using the NIC, obviously I need a VLAN and stuff . What need to be change from the networking side before proceeding . I know when we brought other P7, I used network admins help during cabling , but I want to know , if that machine is already in a network as a physical server (no VLAN) what need to be changed. Thank you all in advanced .
# 2  
Old 01-04-2016
It depends what network needs you have for all the LPARs, and if they will use separate physical network cards, or share them.

You could create a virtual interface using two physical cards, one attached to each VIO server and then share that to the AIX LPARs, but it really depends on your needs.

Can you elaborate a bit more?

Thanks,
Robin
This User Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:
# 3  
Old 01-04-2016
Thanks Robin .
So it will be using same physical card . Except that physical card will be part of the VIO server , I will be creating SEA using the Physical card. Currently the 710 has only one physical LPAR using all system resources and network is configured just like any other physical LPAR. My plan is to :
1) delete that LPAR
2) put the VIO code (COD ) , so it will have option to create VIO server
3) create VIO server
4) create SEA using physical NIC , so the future VIO client can used the same network
----
So for the item 4, question is what need to be changed from the network side, like I said 710 is currently connected to network , But for SEA , obviously we need to add VLAN and stuff, so all the client lpar can connect to network using same VLAN. What is the networking requirement for that ? Thanks again.
# 4  
Old 01-04-2016
You have to answer the simple question: are all LPARs will be in an one network or in different networks?

If the answer is yes, one network, then you don't need to do anything else. You can configure SEA without VLAN tagging and you don't need to bother your network administrators.

If the answer is no, they will be in different networks, you have to ask yourself, in which networks they should be? Then together with your network administrators you have to determine VLAN numbers for these networks, re-configure the switch port in VLAN 802.1Q trunk mode and allow the port to access these VLANs.
This User Gave Thanks to agent.kgb For This Post:
# 5  
Old 01-04-2016
Thanks agent.kdb , Can I ask you this, even all the LPARs are in a same network , don't you still need a VLAN to configure the SEA. How do you configure SEA without VLAN tagging Or I am just dumb . I thought even for the simplest SEA you have to do the following .
$ mkvdev -sea <PHYSICAL NIC> -vadapter <VIRT Ethernet> -default <VIRT Ethernet > -defaultid <VLAN>

How are the other client LPARs will share the network without VLAN, how would create vethernet for the client LPAR?
# 6  
Old 01-04-2016
If you plan to create several LPARs depending on the VIOS and you already went for the HMC route you most probably want not one but two VIOS. For this you need also two (physical) network adapters, one to give to each VIOS.

Expanding on agent.kgbs good explanation on the outside requirements: if you need to have LPARs in several networks you create a (virtual) bridge/switch in the VIOS and the hypervisor by using (internal) VLANs into which the virtual network adapters are put. Therefore you need to treat the physical network adapters the VIOSes operate like bridge uplinks - this is why you need to configure the trunks as agent.kgb said.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
# 7  
Old 01-04-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by JME2015
Thanks agent.kdb , Can I ask you this, even all the LPARs are in a same network , don't you still need a VLAN to configure the SEA. How do you configure SEA without VLAN tagging Or I am just dumb . I thought even for the simplest SEA you have to do the following .
$ mkvdev -sea <PHYSICAL NIC> -vadapter <VIRT Ethernet> -default <VIRT Ethernet > -defaultid <VLAN>

How are the other client LPARs will share the network without VLAN, how would create vethernet for the client LPAR?
there is a special VLAN ID 1, which means "default VLAN". Your network administrator already configured the port with one tagged VLAN (native or access VLAN). Just make everywhere in VIO configuration (VIO profile and mkvdev command, you wrote above) VLAN ID 1 and don't switch VLAN tagging in VIO profile. If you do so, your network packets will go out untagged to the network and will be tagged by the switch with the right VLAN ID.

---------- Post updated at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin
If you plan to create several LPARs depending on the VIOS and you already went for the HMC route you most probably want not one but two VIOS. For this you need also two (physical) network adapters, one to give to each VIOS.
Unfortunately it is impossible to buy 710 with split backplane configuration and the only option to have two VIOSes on it is to have 2 FC Adapters and to boot VIOS from SAN. Although I am not sure - I've never seen a virtualized 710 ;-)
This User Gave Thanks to agent.kgb For This Post:
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to find whether Solaris installed on physical machine or on a VMware/KVM?

Hi All, . I am trying to find whether Solaris 11 installed on physical server or on VMware/KVM. I tried uname -a but it's giving only whether i installed on X86 or sparc machine. I tried prtdiag command but it's giving below information. command : prtdiag -v |grep "System... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravani25
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to check everything are migrated after the physical to vmware virtual machine?

I have a physical machine , just use vmware tools migrated data to virtual machine . how can I check these two servers - old and new server , the data are the same , all files are copy to new server ? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
2 Replies

3. Solaris

How to count number of physical and virtual processors on Solaris machine.?

hi, I am using command psrinfo -p to check the number of physical processors present on any soalris machine.I want to check the number of virtual processors assigned for particular solaris machine. which command/set of command need to be used which can grep or show the total virtual processors... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Virtualizing SCO v5 - interesting project/nightmare, could use some help

same old story, we have an important very old app running on SCO 5, box is only on LAN and as such was never updated by anyone etc.. box is nearing its end of life in a bad way (currently experiencing some SCSI issues) and it's time to do something when good advice of "lets upgrade" for years was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mc18
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with old DG/UX machine, virtualizing?

Hey all, We have an old Data General Unix system (DG/UX) on an old AViiON machine. That DG system is Intel-based (PentiumPro) and we are trying to virtualize / emulate it. DG was a clever system, as it cannot be installed on a 'regular' x86 machine, only on an AViiON box. I think I figured out... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgux
2 Replies

6. AIX

Maximum Limit of HMC to handle Physical Power Virtualization Physical Machine

Hello All, Can anybody please tell me what is the maximum limit of Physical IBM Power Machine which can be handled by single HMC at a single point of time? Thanks, Jenish (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jenish_shah
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

How to find the number of physical processors and architecture in a hp-ux machine

Hi, I have two questions here. I need to find out the number of physical processors the HP-UX operating system is running in. Here i am referring to the physical processors in a system and not the number of cores. I can get the number of cores using the command 'ioscan -fnkC processor'.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shawshank
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Physical volume- no free physical partitions

I was in smit, checking on disc space, etc. and it appears that one of our physical volumes that is part of a large volume group, has no free physical partitions. The server is running AIX 5.1. What would be the advisable step to take in this instance? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: markper
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

physical volume and physical disk.

Hello, I need explanations about physical disks and physical volumes. What is the difference between these 2 things? In fact, i am trying to understand what the AIX lspv2command does. Thank you in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VeroL
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question