power off during weekend

Operating Systems Linux power off during weekend
# 1  
Old 05-10-2010
power off during weekend

Hello,
I would like to turn off (mean no energy consumption) some servers during the weekend.
I would like to do it automatically so i thought to create macro commands to a shell client.The problem is that giving shutdown (shutdown -h now) the server(Sun X4200 M2) turn off but the fans are still working.Do you have any idea how to power off the element?
# 2  
Old 05-10-2010
crontab the job.

shutdown -y -g0 -i5 should power off completely.
# 3  
Old 05-10-2010
Have you tried running shutdown with the -P switch, or poweroff directly?
# 4  
Old 05-10-2010
@Celtic_Monkey This works for Solaris OS but i am running also SLES.Sorry i didn't define that

@pludi I tried also this command with no result.

---------- Post updated at 05:28 AM ---------- Previous update was at 05:21 AM ----------

If i do this using crontab can i also power on the servers on Monday morning (for example) using crontab?

Last edited by @dagio; 05-10-2010 at 08:43 AM..
# 5  
Old 05-10-2010
What version of SLES?

Sounds like you have an issue with ACPI or apm module?

have you tried forcing acpi?
# 6  
Old 05-10-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by @dagio
If i do this using crontab can i also power on the servers on Monday morning (for example) using crontab?
Generally, computers don't do anything while they're off.

wake-on-lan is possible but that'd mean another computer on the same local network sticking around to send it the wake-up signal later. Sometimes you can find special timed wake-up options in the BIOS itself though.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

what are you doing this weekend?

does someone have any plans? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yarx
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Weekend Data Log

I've been searching here, and other places for a solid script that would generate a weekend log. Mainly how would I combine 24hr data for the weekend days? I've came across scripts for day, days, month, but none that selects just the weekend. Thanks for any help! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravzter
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question