ICMP Net Unreachable from gateway

Operating Systems Solaris ICMP Net Unreachable from gateway
# 1  
Old 06-14-2010
ICMP Net Unreachable from gateway

Hi all,

I cannot reach my SERVER from my NetBackup server connect through SERVER_prv ("cannot connect to client")

My SERVER was Sun OS 5.8, below is the message i get when i ping my SERVER:

Code:
# ping 192.168.X.X or 
# ping SERVER_prv
ICMP Net Unreachable from gateway 172.16.102.XXX
 for icmp from SERVER (172.16.102.XXX) to SERVER_prv (192.168.X.X)

I get the same error pinging other prv connection while the status from pinging other server with normal connection, i get '... is alive". What configuration files should i check? Please help.

---------- Post updated at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:34 AM ----------

From the other server, it seems like i was lacking an entry in
Code:
# netstat -rn
Routing Table: IPv4
  Destination           Gateway           Flags  Ref   Use   Interface
-------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ------ ---------
192.168.2.0          192.168.X.X          U         1   3881  ce1

Code:
# route add default 192.168.X.X ce1
# reboot

Is it i have to add something like the above? Anything i'm missing out?Smilie

Thanks.

Last edited by beginningDBA; 06-14-2010 at 12:40 AM..
# 2  
Old 06-15-2010
have you do trace route test?

command : traceroute IP address server (form you PC/other sever)
# 3  
Old 06-24-2010
It seems like not effective even i reconfigure the ip address on it. So, i have to plumb a new interface to house the private connection and it was working fine now. Smilie
# 4  
Old 06-25-2010
Hi
Jus unplumb the interface and plumb it again..Now add the route using routeadd cmd and ten try pingin u wil be able to do tat.

Regards
S.Vignesh
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Inconsistency between RedHat 6.5 global gateway and single gateway leads to loss of default gateway

Dear friends I use RedHat 6.5, which sets the gateway in the configuration file / etc / sysconfig / network as GATEWAY = 192.168.1.26, and the gateway in the configuration file / etc / sysconfig / network-scripts / ifcfg-eth11 as GATEWAY = 192.168.1.256. The two gateways are different.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tanpeng
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ICMP for limited time

Hi, I am using following command: tcpdump -i eth1 icmp =8 >output.txt i want this command to get execute for a minute only. How can we do this? Thanks. Please use code tags next time for your code and data. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyajeet@uh
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get reason for ping failure using perls Net::Ping->new("icmp");?

Hi I am using perl to ping a list of nodes - with script below : $p = Net::Ping->new("icmp"); if ($p->ping($host,1)){ print "$host is alive.\n"; } else { print "$host is unreacheable.\n"; } $p->close();... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tavanagh
4 Replies

4. Linux

GNUGK-How to setup static gateway to gateway routing

Dear Sir I am a newbie in the world of IP telephony. I have been working with Asterisk PBX (SIP) and Cisco Call Manager (MGCP) but now I am learning on how to work GNUGK for H.323 Gatekeeper. I am having a problem, configuring static call routing on GNUGK in the section ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfondoum
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Jumpstart fails with ICMP Destination unreachable

Hi I am trying to perform a jumpstart with values below client sf440-003 - ip x.x.133.2 jumpstartserver zeus - ip x.x.133.19 The jumpstart tftp works as it should, I boot the machine with boot net - install etc. But when it should do a PORTMAP it fails with ICMP error. Any ideas... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ehsjoka
2 Replies

6. IP Networking

Ping ICMP

Hi All, How to disable ICMP time stamp request and time stamp reply of a machine? How to test this feature from remote machine? Please reply back Vasanth (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanthan
2 Replies

7. Linux

Linux Port Unreachable

All, I have to servers (NT and REL4). We can access the application on NT from Linux but we cannot access the applications on Linux when accessed from NT. The applicaiton is running on Linux with some IP:Port. When we try to access that application from NT, it says that the port is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: The One
1 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

Host unreachable

I have inherited a Sun Ultra-1, running sunOS 5.8 While on this machine, I cannot ping www.yahoo.com I cannot ping this machine from withing our lan. I do not have an static IP for this machine and used Iconfig hme0 auto-dhcp start. All is well, It seems to me that the previous owner,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: defense
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ICMP Echo-Request

Hello! I'm in extra urgent need to have a program that sends a series of ICMP echo requests over the network to a specified host and waits until the last echo reply is received. I know little about socket-programming (in particular I've never dealt with icmp sockets) that's why i'm desperate!! :)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilmora
5 Replies

10. IP Networking

icmp

how i can send the big icmp packets to the another ip for loose connection ....or how he can loose (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seccom
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question