Performance stats from AIX 6

Operating Systems AIX Performance stats from AIX 6
# 1  
Old 07-07-2014
Performance stats from AIX 6

Hi,
I'm supposed to capture many performance stats on AIX 6 and stuck up with below:

Priority queue
Disk cache hit%
Page out rate
Swap out rate
Memory queue

I see vmstatis helpful for "page out" but not sure how to get the "rate".

Could anyone please let me know how to get these values?

Thanks!
# 2  
Old 07-07-2014
I am not an AIX expert, but the following should apply to all Unix.
Take the last line from
Code:
vmstat 1 2

and
Code:
iostat 1 2

A longer interval gives better precision:
Code:
vmstat 3 2

Code:
iostat 3 2

# 3  
Old 07-07-2014
For longterm monitoring you should set up nmon. The complete documentation about it can be found on the IBM wiki site.

Check these:
nmon performance: A free tool to analyze AIX and Linux performance
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/c.../nmon%20Manual

... and also the nmon2rrd Tool and some more interessting to have a graphical output.
# 4  
Old 07-07-2014
Thanks MadeInGermany and zaxxon for the replies.

@zaxxon - Initially i considered nmon but It didn't provide me all I needed and also we needed output in a specific CSV format only (even though nmon provides CSV output but it looked very confusing). We don't need any graphics output/reports.

I just captured the stats again using nmon -fT -s 15 -c 4 but I still seem to be missing the below much needed metrics.

- Priority queue
- Disk cache hit%
- Memory queue

Can we customize nmon to get these as well or any other alternative? Please advise.

Thanks and kind regards,
# 5  
Old 07-10-2014
1. Priority queue
?? What about CPU run queue? sar -q 5 5
2. Disk cache hit%
disk cache hit make sense only for storage based disks, the OS is not aware of that, you need to get this from the storage itself, try TPC, STOR2RRD or other storage perf tools
3. Page out rate
vmstat 5 5 (po metric), vmstat -s
4. Swap out rate
vmstat 5 5 (pi metric), vmstat -s
5. Memory queue
??? never heard about such metric, what it should be?
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX 5.3 performance problems

Hello, I encounter some performance issues on my AIX 5.3 server running in a LPAR on a P520. How do I investigate performance issues in AIX. Is there any kind of procedure that takes me to the steps to investigate my server and find the sub systems that is causing the issues? The performance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: petervg
1 Replies

2. AIX

Asynchronous I/O on AIX and DB performance

Hi, I would like to hear your thoughts about this. We are running our Data warehouse on DB2 DPF (partition environment) and I have notice that sometimes we hit the Asynchronous-I/O-Processes peak. DB2 relies heavily on Asynchronous I/O so I would believe this has an negative impact.We are... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arizah
10 Replies

3. AIX

AIX performance issue

Hi Guys, This is the situation I am in. Provide your views and input where should I start? I have one P7 test server and a p520 production server. the job is taking pretty long on the P7 test server when compared to the P5 production server. below is the full detail. Informix... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ithinksgreen
5 Replies

4. AIX

performance issue in AIX

Gurus, i have process that runs 5 times a day. it runs normally (takes about 1 hour) to complete in 3 runs but it is takes about ( 3 hrs to complete) two times So i need to figure out why it takes significanlty high time during those 2 runs. The process is a shell script that connect to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad_man12
2 Replies

5. AIX

Performance issue in AIX 5.3

Is there is any way to increase the CPU utilization of a Embedded SQL program in AIX 5.3 .. for performance purpose. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gyanendra Awast
0 Replies

6. AIX

AIX 5.2 performance question

I am trying to analyze the performance of an AIX system. I think I may have a disk I/O issue, but I am asking for help to validate or invalidate this assumption. I ran the commands below during a period of peak load. Please help me to find any performance bottlenecks. Thanks in advance for your... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhall
15 Replies

7. AIX

Performance testing on AIX

I'm doing performance testing for one application which works on AIX. But I don't know which performance parameters of memory need to be collected. Now, I just know very few: 1. page in 2. page out 3. fre They are all collected by "vmstat" command. I want to know, except for above... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adasong
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

NFS performance stats on Linux

Hi everyone, The last two days I'm researching results of NFS operations on Linux, and I noticed some time difference when read and write. cat /proc/version : Linux version 2.6.9-42.ELsmp (bhcompile@hs20-bc1-1.build.redhat.com) (gcc version 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-2)) #1 SMP Wed Jul 12... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sysgate
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX performance

Hiya all, I am a newbie sysadmin to AIX, i have worked on HPUX for 3 years. I have started a new role with in an IBM house and because there is me and one other there are a couple of issues I cannot work out: We havehad a production server slowing down processing batch jbs over the past... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chlawren
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question