New operating system and new license

The Lounge What is on Your Mind? New operating system and new license
# 1  
Old 05-25-2012
New operating system and new license

Hello all, I'm new here. I wanted as nickname just wizard but it was taken. So Magus.Wizard instead; in my view, a wizard is somebody who really understands computers, a computer wizard, a master, a profi. Not too much about myself, more to the topic - I get tired from all the crap can be found even in Linux, like Debian I mostly work with. There is a possibility to solve the problem, anyway, it will go most probably under a different name. As a new OS. Remember the story with Firefox and Debian Iceweasel? Same thing. So if you have wishes for a new OS post them here.
But before I "publish" anything online I need a new license. In fact, I have a concept, so I need only few details to make it ready to go first step with a development version. One problem with OpenSource is, that any idiot may damage your work, no matter how well you did it. Examples are Apache Web server, RADIUS and some versions of Linux kernel, maybe even something more. My concept is StableSource, I will try to describe a sample version of Stable Source license, if everything is OK it will go as first version and all original software will go with it.

The following license (further StableSource license) does not define if software is open or closed, free or not, it only gives software authors terms to define it in and cares about stability. StableSource license can be suitable to all sorts of software where accent is made on quality and stability.
Commercial Product: members of developing enterprise have write access to all parts of software, allowed freaks with special keys can modify theme and script files, re-compose install packages, adding to them last updates, all the others have to pay for right to use the software product.
Free Product: it can be used and distributed for free with no limitations, like OpenSource. When it is modified, the modified version has to have a mark in its name showing that it is not a stable version. Examples: "ProgPack openmod Turbo" or "ProgPack rom 123". Openmod stands for open modification (similar to OpenSource), rom stands for registered open modification (version is registered in the project and gets its own number, that is easier than with names). Only the project board can acknowledge a version of program as stable after it is checked. Default versions are stable versions, but if you want you can use any of open ones.
As author of software you only need to write "This software is free in terms of Stablesource license" or "This software is Commercial Product in terms of StableSource license".

This version of license is not perfect, that with stable and open modifications is now only in free product, anyway, there might be even more things to do, and I think it's best way if other people first view and rate it. It's some kind of Request For Comment in the original meaning. So post your wishes to a new operating system and what you think about the license, how it could be made better, then let's go further.

Last edited by Magus.Wizard; 05-25-2012 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: spell check
# 2  
Old 07-03-2012
Quality is very hard to measure without having clear metrics on which to measure on. Also stability very much depends on the platform that you use to test or use it on. Here some specifications of the metrics would be useful to have as well.
I am sure you have seen these to guide you further in the process? List of software licenses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Also note the very liberal license of SQLite by way of an example how light a license can be: SQLite Copyright
# 3  
Old 07-03-2012
Not everything makes it into the Linux kernel either. The board decides what stays and goes. Others can make whatever patches they want, but people have to apply them themselves.

So it's not quite the free-for-all you're implying.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What's my Operating System

Can we know the operating given the IP address or DNS of the host. All I have is file://myserver/myapp (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Best Operating System

Hello All, I want to install Linux on my machine, so please tell me one thing which is the best to install- 1.)Red Hat 2.)Cent OS 3.)Red Hat 4.)Ubuntu 5.)Fedora except that if there is any please tell me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
1 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

Operating system LINUX

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a C program that accepts 3 parameters. Each parameter indicates the quantity of product to be produced.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paradise
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Operating system LINUX

Write a C program that accepts 3 parameters. Each parameter indicates the quantity of product to be produced. Each product will be produced in different production line. Ready products will be placed in a buffer area located at the end of each production line. Packaging workers will pack the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paradise
1 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Fabric Operating System

Would any of your gentlemen have come across a decent reference for the FOS in your wanderings? Brocade just seems to want to sell me classes and FAN books :/ (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eronysis
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Operating System?

Hey all, I currently use FreeBSD and linux and have decided I want to use a proper Unix distrobution. Which Unix distro would you members recommend. The only requirments that I have is that I can use some pogramming utilities available. I don't mind the install process. One more thing, I know some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: -zorin
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operating System

Which is much more powerful as an operating system: 1. Windows 2000 2. Windows 98 3. Windows XP 4. Windows ME 5. Unix 6. Linux and why is it much more powerful than the other operating systems that i have mentioned. thanks for your info... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alecks1975
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Operating System

Can anyone give me info on networking features of the Unix Operating System please. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WaveZero
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Operating System

I need the Unix operating system on disc as im new to unix. Im studying unix and x windows next year at Sheffield University and would like to get a head start. Any suggestions would be appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffersno1
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question