Using Commands over SSH using Sudo

Top Forums Programming Using Commands over SSH using Sudo
# 1  
Old 02-03-2012
Using Commands over SSH using Sudo

Is there a way to transfer my sudo password via ssh so that I can copy files remotely and pass them locally, so:

Code:
cat sudo-passwd-file|ssh -t user@10.7.0.180 'sudo find / -depth|cpio -oacv|gzip' > /path/to/dir/file.cpio.gz

I am in the process of a creating a script. Everytime I try and just do this I get:

Code:
cat passwd-file|ssh -t user@10.7.0.180 'sudo find / -depth'
Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.
sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified

??

Last edited by metallica1973; 02-03-2012 at 05:44 PM..
# 2  
Old 02-03-2012
You can force it with -t -t.

Also, you get a useless use of cat award.
# 3  
Old 02-03-2012
Couldnt I just:

connect to 10.7.0.180 and add a newline or edit existing to look like

Code:
user ALL=(ALL)               NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/find

# 4  
Old 02-03-2012
find can execute arbitrary programs. Allowing anyone to run it as root is a gaping security hole.
# 5  
Old 02-03-2012
it doenst work:

Code:
cat bobo | ssh -t -t user@10.7.0.180 "sudo find / -depth"
password
[sudo] password for user:

??
# 6  
Old 02-06-2012
That is a good point.
# 7  
Old 02-06-2012
If it isn't waiting for the prompt to type in the password, you may have to use a third-party utility like expect.

You could also configure sudo to allow it in a more careful manner -- only allow the 'find' command for a certain user, and with those exact arguments, which would prevent someone executing arbitrary commands as root with it.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to automatically run commands after SSH and SUDO not working?

I'm working on a script to SSH and SUDO as (sap user sidadm) then automatically run commands that the sidadm user can run such as R3trans -v, tp, etc.. I can SSH without password and SUDO.. but the commands don't run after I SSH and SUDO to the sidadm user...here is the commands that I've... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: icemanj
2 Replies

2. Ubuntu

Sudo commands without puting in .bashrc

dear all, When I start my laptop, I need to run one command /etc/init.open-afs start and it require sudo privilege. The only solution which occur to me is to put this command in .bashrc. But then the trouble comes as everytime I open any new tab it ask for the sudo password, which is pretty... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh not supporting sudo and sqlplus commands

Hi Guys , I was facing an issue some thing like , I have to connect remote machine and should execute few commands over there , I am able to run some simple commands , but below commands are throws error like not found. eg : sudo su - username and sqlplus user/pwd@db , srvrmgr commands etc ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandini
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run sudo commands under a script?

Hi, I am new to scripting. I am trying to write a script to ssh one remote machine and run a sudo command. ssh <hostname> sudo -S <command> < ~/pass.txt I am stored my password in pass.txt. I am getting error sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified Please suggest me how can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkia9
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sudo: blocking specific commands

Hello all, I manage some HP-UX 11.31 servers. I have some users that have sudo access. All of them belong to the 'sudoers' user group. Right now, sudo is configured as wide open: %sudoers ALL=(ALL) ALL We are using sudo mostly for auditing purposes - when a user wants to run a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lupin..the..3rd
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh foo.com sudo command - Prompts for sudo password as visible text. Help?

I am writing a BASH script to update a webserver and then restart Apache. It looks basically like this: #!/bin/bash rsync /path/on/local/machine/ foo.com:path/on/remote/machine/ ssh foo.com sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 reloadrsync and ssh don't prompt for a password, because I have DSA encryption... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fluoborate
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sudo commands list

Hi, Can you please give me a list of commands executed through 'sudo' command, thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dev_Dev
1 Replies

8. AIX

Add sudo executable commands

Guy's I have sudo already installed in AIX , just I want to know how can I add for example the following commands to be executed by sudo by (appuser).. shutdown /usr/startapp.sh /usr/stopapp.sh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

could not send commands SSH session with Net::SSH::Expect

I am using Net::SSH::Expect to connect to the device(iLO) with SSH. After the $ssh->login() I'm able to view the prompt, but not able to send any coommands. With the putty I can connect to the device and execute the commands without any issues. Here is the sample script my $ssh =... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansini
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Logging all commands after a sudo su-

Hi there, It might seem tricky, I confess. We use sudo to allow people to initiate priviledged commands (but not all commands) on our Unix systems. To by pass this, some people initiate the sudo su - command ; The main issue is to 'know' what those people do when they gain root access.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxmtl
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question