how to execute a unix shell script from a java program

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to execute a unix shell script from a java program
# 1  
Old 03-07-2012
how to execute a unix shell script from a java program

Hi All,

well , i am facing this problem.. i have tried a few sample codes but there isn't any solution . could anyone please give a sample code as of how to do this...

Please see the below details...and read the details carefully.

I have written some code, logic is

1)from UI we will get one file on window

2)from window that file will save on server i.e on /home/user01/trial1/csvfile.txt (This is successfully downloaded on the server)

3)that file we are passing to the script name-"omsSB.sh"
and output will save in csvfileout.txt

In below code everytnig is fine .From UI I am able to pass the tuple and also fetch the output file but iam unable to execute the omsSb.sh script

Question--> SCRIPT_NAME =./omsSb.sh
is it the correct command
or i need to right--- /home/user01/trial1/omsSb.sh. tried some of these like but script is not running.

This below code i have write in eclipse properties file , where i can mentioen the all the details of server.
Code:

TUPLE_FILE =
/home/user01/trial1/csvfile.txt WORKING_DIRECTORY =/home/user01/trial1 SCRIPT_NAME =./omsSb.sh OUTPUT_FILE =/home/user01/trial1/csvfileout.txt

Thanks

Last edited by aish11; 03-07-2012 at 04:44 AM..
# 2  
Old 03-07-2012
1) if you run :
Code:
./omsSb.sh

This suppose that you already are in the directory hosting that script

It also suppose that your user is granted (at least) to read that script (if you want to run it in the way mentionned above, you also must have execution right on it)

It also suppose that your script has the execution right (chmod +x yourscript).

If the execution right are not set for your file you can try to run it like :

Code:
sh ./omsSb.sh

(make sure you are in the right directory)

otherwise maybe you can give a try with :

Code:
SCRIPT_NAME = "sh /home/user01/trial1/omsSb.sh"

This User Gave Thanks to ctsgnb For This Post:
# 3  
Old 03-07-2012
If you are executing directly the script on unix, better replace variable SCRIPT_NAME with the absolute path of the script.
# 4  
Old 03-07-2012
MySQL

If you want to execute shell script or any system command then below code may help you.

Code:
    try {
        Process p = Runtime.getRuntime().exec("uname -a");
        // you can pass the system command or a script to exec command. here i used uname -a system command
        BufferedReader stdInput = new BufferedReader(new 
                InputStreamReader(p.getInputStream()));

BufferedReader stdError = new BufferedReader(new 
                InputStreamReader(p.getErrorStream()));

// read the output from the command
        String s="";

while ((s = stdInput.readLine()) != null) {
            System.out.println("Std OUT: "+s);
        }

while ((s = stdError.readLine()) != null) {
            System.out.println("Std ERROR : "+s);
        }

} catch (IOException e) {

e.printStackTrace();
    }

Thanks,
Kalai
# 5  
Old 03-07-2012
Thas to all , for the help.

Code is working now .

changed the below path and its working

Code:
SCRIPT_NAME = "sh /home/user01/trial1/omsSb.sh"

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Triggering UNIX Script from a JAVA program

Hi I am trying to implement one program, where JAVA needs to trigger the backend UNIX script. Tried with options like String cmdArray = {"/bin/ksh","-c","/SCRIPT_ABSOLUTE_PATH/sampleScript.ksh /FILE_ABSOLUTE_PATH Test_File.dat TEST E SFTP"} When I trigger the script from front end with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing the shell script through java program

Hi Team, Can you pls advise in java how can we call a shell script, actly I have a shell script at the following location /opt/dd/ajh.sh now I can execute this script by opening the session through putty by entering the servers details and password and then navigating to the following... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: punpun777777
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem while Invoke Shell Script function from Java Program

Hi, I have create a Shell Script, with one function. I want to call the script file in Java Program. It working fine. but the problem is the function in the Shell Script is not executed. Please suggest me, Regards, Nanthagopal A (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanthagopal
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to input as if from command line to the java program

Hi, We are having a java server which can run on command line and once initiated, it will prompt options to enter from 0 to 5. The java program kickoff respective operation once number is entered between 0 to 5. However i want to always enter "1" and write another shell program wrapper to start... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: surya5kn
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass the environment name while calling java program from unix script?

Hi, I'm trying to test one unix shell script in dev environment. But I'm not sure how to pass the environment in my java program calling code. I'm trying to use -DconsumerEnv="DEV" but unfortunately I get 'null' while trying to print the value from java class. System.out.println("Environment: "+... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pramit
4 Replies

6. Programming

C program to execute shell script

Hi, Can anyone give me a sample code to execute shell script from C program. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baigmd
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

C program to execute shell script

Hi, Can anyone pls give a sample to execute a shell script from C program Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baigmd
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to open program and send/execute command in program

Hi, i want to write a script that executes a program (exec?) . this program then requires a filename as input. how do i give it this input in the script so the program will be complete run and close by the script. e.g. exec prog.exe program then asks for filename "enter filename:"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tuathan
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute java program from perl

hello all how can i run the java command that can eccept N numbers of args for example : java -cp .;foo.jar myApp 1 "ww" or java -cp .;foo.jar myApp 1 2 3 "ww" or java -cp .;foo.jar myApp "args1" "args2" "args3" Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Shell script vs Java

Members, I been faced with an issue where i have to sale my project against JAVA.would like to know more on the strong point of shell script (bash shell) over java.I have a very limited knowledge on java.is there anyone who has worked on java and shell scripting in both and really been able to... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: navojit dutta
13 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question