C++ Execution Inspection - Ideas Wanted

Top Forums Programming C++ Execution Inspection - Ideas Wanted
# 1  
Old 02-21-2013
C++ Execution Inspection - Ideas Wanted

"C++ Execution Inspection" is the best term I could coin for what it is I'd like to do. Suggestions from anyone who has done programming in C++ on Linux are welcome.

I was taught C++ in classrooms that used MS Visual Studio a few years ago. Visual Studio had a debugging mode that made it really easy to keep track of what all my variables where at a given break point. Because of this, I was able to figure out what my code was doing rapidly. Now I'm looking for advice on how to achieve the same thing on Linux.

I've got two books on vim and am *trying* to become savvy with it. So far I like the way one can navigate in vi. Supposedly it is supposed to be stellar for programmers. Has anyone been able to achieve the kind of debugging I'm describing from within vim?

FOSS, it's unix like OSes, and command line tools are thing I put a lot of faith in. However, I don't have much experience using them for C++ development. As such, I'm looking for solutions that don't involve clunky IDEs, non-FOSS, MS Windows etc...

C++ is my favorite language. I have friends who like Clojure, Ruby, and many more who like Java. While I'm mildly aware of the cool features these languages have, they don't seem as intuitive to me as C and C++. A common gripe for these two languages are that they both use pointers, which seem to confuse some people. Personally, I think pointers are super cool.
# 2  
Old 02-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejr2122
"C++ Execution Inspection" is the best term I could coin for what it is I'd like to do.
It is just called 'debugging'.

Quote:
Now I'm looking for advice on how to achieve the same thing on Linux.
gdb Tutorial

Quote:
Has anyone been able to achieve the kind of debugging I'm describing from within vim?
Do not compare a text editing engine with a comercial IDE. Since its just a text editor it only offers text editing features (makes sense?). To add some IDE behavior is possible with extra applications, but most of them are sluggish at best and nowhere as good as what you would find in popular IDE(s). Also gdb native terminal interface is simple enough as it is.

If you really want to go with a terminal based development (personally I think using an open source IDE is much more productive) you should try emacs as it has a 'better' additions of 3rd party tools to create an IDEish environment.

Quote:
I'm looking for solutions that don't involve clunky IDEs, non-FOSS, MS Windows etc...
Just run gdb parallelly.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX and Linux Applications

Need ideas for graduation project based on unix or linux Need ideas for graduation project based on

Dear all, i am in last year of electronics department in engineering faculty i need suggestions for a graduation project based on unix or free bsd or linux and electronics "embedded linux " i think about embedded unix for example or device drivers please i need helps (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MOHA-1
1 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Just wanted to say thanks!!!

Greetings all!! Have only recently signed up to this forum and I must say I am thoroughly impressed! :D Everyone has been nothing but amazingly helpful and I haven't been made to feel like the newbie that I am. I will definately be becoming a daily user of this site not only for help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: U_C_Dispatj
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect Issue Serial Forground Execution vs Concurrent Background Execution

I have an expect script that interrogates several hundred unix servers for both access and directories therein using "ssh user@host ls -l /path". The combination of host/path are unique but the host may be interrogated multiple times if there are multiple paths to test. The expect script is run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: twk
2 Replies

4. Programming

Help wanted

Hi, I know very little about C and Unix. I have written a program to use threads. The program needs to get some values from a very large database. I wrote a simple program and compiled but got the following errors..... cc mythread.c -lthread "/usr/include/pthread.h", line 120:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddyb
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question