restrict USB

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting restrict USB
# 1  
Old 06-29-2009
CPU & Memory restrict USB

Hi,

How can i restrict use of USB in redhat. & also is it possible to allow USB devices for only specific devices or only few known penDrives......?

Thank you
# 2  
Old 06-29-2009
Maybe try to comment out the services? Not sure about the second part.
# 3  
Old 06-30-2009
USB devices are "linked" to the system using "udev" control scripts. /etc/udev contains all the scripts and rules that are processed when a new device is added to the system. You can do "man 7 udev" explains how it works. You might have something like this rule:
Code:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device"  OPTIONS=ignore_device

will completely disable all USB devices. Note, this rule has to come pretty early in the chain, so put it in the file 05-udev-early.rules. Anywhere, from there, you add exceptions (more rules) which match specific device drivers or device names.
# 4  
Old 06-30-2009
Thanks for this, interesting, never have had to use this.
# 5  
Old 07-01-2009
Modifying your udev scripts does not stop a knowledgable user from manually mounting a USB stick. It only stops the OS from automatically mounting the USB stick. You also need to ensure that users do not have permission to mount removable devices.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Restrict sudo -i

Hi, I wanted add a group to the sudoers file so they can run sudo commands and blocked su command but it seems they can just run sudo -i to switch to root which defeats my purpose. Is it possible to block sudo -i with the help of sudoers file or any other way. Please advise. The below... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jartan
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to restrict Rounding using Printf?

Hello, I am using bash shell on Linux OS, May i please know why is it rounding for big numbers but not for others, is there a workaround to print it as it is with out round off? printf '%'\''.2f\n' 9999999999999999999.99 10,000,000,000,000,000,000.00 printf '%'\''.2f\n' 99999999999999.99... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ariean
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restrict access

I'm trying to use squid to restrict elinks' access to certain websites(only http traffic). I have tried some configs in squid.conf but no luck. Hope someone has a bit of time to explain me how can you make these config's :) ---------- Post updated at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous update was at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Birnbacher
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

USB-USB cable between linux and windows computers

Is there an easy way to setup a cross-over cable (USB-USB) between a linux box and a windows PC? My 2 machines are next to each other but I really do not want to keep transfering my files using my USB drive. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i restrict commands

hi all, i want to restrict commands to run from a specifc directory..and to make that only some specific commands to run ,,not all. please help me ...how can i make this happen. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tprayush
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Restrict Access to the folder

Hi I have requirement to create 3 new users on my server but to restrict their access to a set of particular folders. /export/home/kapil/shared, /export/home/kapil/shared/Folder1 /export/home/kapil/shared/Folder2 These folders should be accessible to all the 3 users and to me too.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kapilk
1 Replies

7. Solaris

restrict commands

Dears, how to determine the commands that could be used by certain user..like I want to prevent some users from running pwd command???? Thanx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mm00123
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Possible to restrict SED

Hi, I guess by default SED looks for any occurences anywhere in the file or text. Is it possible to restrict the search to replace only for the complete pattern . I have data file like record 1->"abc abc123" record 2->"123 aaaaa" record 3->"./abc acacac" i have a replace file ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: braindrain
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to restrict account to one log-in?

Our users have the tendency to use only one login account, to do their jobs. Obvious itīs a matter of training our users. But our internal audit team insists on restrictions from our system. So is there an option to restrict an account to only login once into the system? We use HP-UX 11.0. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Egroman
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question