check existence of the path

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting check existence of the path
# 1  
Old 09-26-2008
check existence of the path

Hi
How can I check if the path exist or not?

echo "Enter path:";
read my_path;

##I should check whether my_path exists or not....
# 2  
Old 09-26-2008
Code:
if [ -d $my_path ] 
then 
echo "path exist"
fi

or

Code:
[[ -d $my_path ]] && echo "path exist"

# 3  
Old 09-26-2008
thanks
# 4  
Old 09-26-2008
How can I change this to oppsosite.
I mean, if path doesnt exist, echo...
[[ -d $my_path ]] && echo "path exist"
# 5  
Old 09-26-2008
Code:
if [ -d $my_path ] ;then
echo "path exist"
else
echo "path doesn't exist"
fi
# 6  
Old 09-29-2008
You should read man test and the definition of path, see example:
Code:
$ test -e /test/dir1/foo.bar && echo Path OK || echo Path OK
Path OK                     
$ test -d /test/dir1/foo.bar && echo Path OK || echo Path NOK
Path NOK              #that's wrong , the path exist , however it's not a directory (-d).

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File existence check

hi i wanted to check if the file exist or not(multiple files) DIRE=/home/V478 if ; then echo "file present" else echo "file not present" fi But i am getting the error as : [: unexpected operator/operand (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ATWC
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check the Files existence

Hi I have a requirement to check whether the files exists, then it will call other steps in shell script. I did ls *.csv|wc -l if then checking the count of the files should be more than 1 then it will call other steps. I am getting the error that too many arguements as there n... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnrj
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To check for existence of a file

I need to check for the existence of a file *.log in a specific directory using a perl script. Presently am not in that particular directory. So i am using chdir ("/path/to/my/file) And then i am using the -e in an if statement to check if it exists. if (-e $File) {......} $File contains the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manutd
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test File for Existence with Whitespaces in Path

Hi Everyone! I'm quite new to shell scripting so this might be trivial, though 3 days of struggle and search didn't help to solve the problem: I want to look for files called '*HUN*' in a huge amount of directories most of their names contain whitespaces and print the path of the directory if... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumi76
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for file existence?

i want to check if the file is in the directory or not, and also it should be handle error conditions, like missing files and report the error and exit. i did something like this: file ="hello" if !test -e "${file}" then echo "No such files exist!" exit 1 else do something....... fi ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mingming88
1 Replies

6. AIX

Check for File Existence

I have requirement where i need to search for files which start with SALESORDER and PURCHASEORDER. i need to process the files with SALESORDER first and then PURCHASEORDER. If SALESORDER files are not there i dont want to process PURCHASEORDER and i want to come out of script. I have written a code... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
4 Replies

7. AIX

check for file existence

Hello I am having a requirement like if there is no file in the directory then i need a message to pop on after the execution of the script. My script basically does for File in `ls -t $DIRECTORY | tail -1`; if there is no file the DIRECTORY then the script is simply exiting with out... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Check existence of a login

Hi everybody, I need to check in C program wether a given login is known on the system. Is there any system function that could do this ? So far, all I could find is getpwnam(), which answers my problem by parsing the local password database. But won't work if a user is authenticated by... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: xavier054
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable check for existence ?

Hi , I have a script wherein i have a For Loop. Within this for loop i create a variable and assign it a value. The script goes to a For Loop only if certain conditions are met , which means the variable may or may not exists. However down the line in the script i have to check if that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samit_9999
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

check for FILES existence

hi, I have a list of filenames and I want to verify if they all exist. I know "if filename" would do the trick but how do I go about a list of files? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpang_
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question