How to boot iSCSI target from console linux?

Operating Systems Linux How to boot iSCSI target from console linux?
# 1  
Old 01-17-2014
How to boot iSCSI target from console linux?

I need boot any images from iSCSI and I'd like to boot from linux console of a previous LiveCD booted. Is possible, without gpxe, ipxe firmware or similar? With a simple iSCSI initiator for example?
# 2  
Old 01-20-2014
Whether you can or cannot boot from iSCSI depends on whether you are using a hardware iSCSI initiator or using the open-iscsi initiator on a system with firmware boot support for iSCSI (such as iSCSI Boot Firmware, etc.).

Look at the Red Hat 5 or 6 documentation for more information regarding iSCSI initiators.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Redundant IP interfaces for ISCSI boot?

I'm building a Solaris 11 OVM environment and want to configure everything to boot from our high performance SAN (no local disks). I've got everything working and the system boots nicely via an OBP configuration however I'd like to configure redundant IP interfaces within Solaris, what I'm... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ISCSIboot
4 Replies

2. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to iSCSI boot from linux console?

I need boot any images from iSCSI and I'd like to boot from linux console of a previous LiveCD booted. Is possible, without gpxe, ipxe firmware or similar? With a simple iSCSI initiator for example? You (accidentally?) posted in the Homework-section of the forum, where special rules apply. If... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: spark2k06
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

Unable to delete iscsi target

Hi Please can someone give me a hint on this, when I list the targets, I see two o them: #iscsiutil -p Operational Target Information ------------------------------ Target # 1 ----------- Target Name : iqn.1992-08.com.netapp:sn.142241859 Target Alias ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

After adding new iscsi target port, still the session state of that target port is showing offline

Hi, I wanted to configure new iscsi port on HPUX system, i added the target port address and configured it, once done, went to array side and searched for that host iqn number , but was nt able to find the same, came to host, then when i ran "iscsiutil -pVS" command it gave me below result ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vinay Kumar D
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can You Mount FAT32 iSCSI Target in Solaris 10 (sparc)?

I get "mount: I/O error" when trying to mount an existing FAT32 iSCSI target. I also tried formatting the iSCSI target with fdisk and got fdisk: "Error in ioctl DKIOCSMBOOT" Details -- According to the format command, the whole disk is allocated to slice 6 and /dev/rdsk shows this as:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ctafret
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Can You Mount FAT32 iSCSI Target in Solaris 10 (sparc)?

I get "mount: I/O error" when trying to mount an existing FAT32 iSCSI target. I also tried formatting the iSCSI target with fdisk and got fdisk: "Error in ioctl DKIOCSMBOOT" Details -- According to the format command, the whole disk is allocated to slice 6 and /dev/rdsk shows this as:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctafret
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LTO2 tape drive as iSCSI target

I'm using Bacula as my backup system, with full backups going to an LTO2 tape drive, while differentials and incrementals go to a disk array on my main server, babylon4. The tape drive is currently attached to a separate machine, because babylon4 does not have a SCSI controller, nor a free PCI-X... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phil Stracchino
0 Replies

8. Solaris

How do I breakdown the Target (tx) part of a cXtXdX Iscsi device?

Hello, I am trying to breakdown the cXtXdX (specifically tX) part of an iscsi device. I know in the fibre SAN world, this tX will usually be a combination of the path to device/device WWN. From what I understand in iscsi world it is similar, breaking down into... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashful
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Windows to Linux remote console using VNC brings up blank console screen with only mouse pointer

:confused:Hi This was installed on the Linux box a few weeks back by a guy that no longer works for us. All worked fine until last week. Now when we connect its just a blank screen with no icons. I get a whole bunch of errors when starting the service too: Tue Feb 23 14:29:45 2010 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wbdevilliers
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Iscsi - target + initiator on the same host.

Hi all iscsiadm / iscsitadm. Ive created two devices on a host. # iscsitadm list target Target: 1-disk0 iSCSI Name: iqn.1986-03.com.sun:02:f105ddf3-52a4-ed7a-9590-c3d354b8fc32.1-disk0 Connections: 1 Target: 1-disk1 iSCSI Name:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question