Network Layers

Special Forums IP Networking Network Layers
# 1  
Old 12-18-2000
Question

Could anyone give a better picture of visualising the 7 layers in networking ? How the data is sent ...which part of it is taken care of by software and which is hardware related ?

I stumble here everytime I read a book on networking..

# 2  
Old 12-21-2000
The concept of service layers is primarily a software concept. The purpose of the concept is to allow network interoperability between computing systems.

The physical and link layers are the lowest level of networking and discusses physical connectivity protocols. One example is ethernet. Ethernet works between all servers and NIC cards because manufactures follow a very rigid open standard. Physical is the wire. Link layer is mostly the software protocol.

As you move up the stack, interoperability tends to be more difficult. At the network and transport layer, TCP is the common way computers move datagrams between end-to-end systems. Above the link layer this is done with software data structures that interface the link layer device drivers. In UNIX this is typically with sockets.

Sockets can be of many flavors and varieties. A TCP/IP socket takes care of end-to-end reliability using well developed protocols to react to congestion, sequencing, lost packets in a noisy environment, etc.

As you move further up the stack, you being to deal with information as it 'goes in and comes out' of the network tunnel, so to speak. The includes the session, application, and presentation layer. Session is a layer that manages state information between two client/server processes (for example) during a given session.

Application layer activity includes specific tasks performed on the end-to-end platforms to accomplish a task. This application is independent of the network. Often the task could just have easily been done from a console without networking or by moving the information manually (and very inefficiently) from one platform to another.

The presentation layer is the layer the user sees. This is the area that gets the most attention by Windows users and the least attention in true client/server environments. In addition, a true client/server environment completely decouples the presentation layer from the application, so the 'window' into the application is platform neutral.

This construct is the most important construct in modern day networking. Understanding how it intimately works takes years of software experience. It is really pretty Zen in that the concepts are so simple but the results so wonderful.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

I would like to monitor network traffic for a computer on my network

My son does homework on a school laptop. I was thinking about setting up a gateway on my home network, so that I can monitor web traffic and know if he is doing his homework without standing over his shoulder. Ideally I would like to use the Raspberry Pi Model b that I already have. However, I... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: gandolf989
15 Replies

2. Red Hat

Network becomes slow and return fast only after restart network

Hi, I have 2 machines in production environment: 1. redhat machine for application 2. DB machine (oracle) The application doing a lot of small read&writes from and to the DB machine. The problem is that after some few hours the network from the application to the DB becomes very slow and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moshesa
4 Replies

3. Solaris

No network cable But Network interface is UP and Running

I've one Netra 240 After changing main board and system configuration card reader, Network is not accessible any more, Network interfaces are always UP and Running even when there is no cable connected to Network interfaces. I tried to restart and plumb/unplumb with no luck. ifconfig -a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samer.odeh
7 Replies

4. IP Networking

OSI model, communication between same layers but on different machines

Hi friends, I hope everyone is doing fine. I have this confusion regarding the OSI model. I have been reading a book on datacommunication and networking which discusses the OSI model in great detail. One thing that I can't figure out is the OSI daigram in this book. It shows communication between... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gabam
1 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Access to network interface (Mac-network)

Hi, I'm a italian student. For my thesis I develop a gateway with protocol 6lowpan. For that I must access to network interface to develope my personal stack based on standard 802.15.4. Can you help me? I need an explanation for that. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: berny88
0 Replies

6. Solaris

configure zones to have different network interface and network

i need to configure a zone to use different interface (bge2) than global and have connected to completely different network switch & to use its own defaultrouter and hosts file .. is it possible ..if so ..how ? Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

8. IP Networking

ssh server is attachable from local network not from another network

hello i have a ubuntu ssh server that i can acess from any of my comnputers but only if they are on the same wireless network as the server. i tested trhis my tehtehring my samsung blackjack to my windows partition and installing openssh to windows it works when windows is on the wireless but no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: old noob
1 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

What are the 7 layers of OSI model or TCP/IP

what is it?? I looked everywhere but cant seem to find it also where can I get information about the difference between NFS 2 or NFS 3?? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question