Extract substring from a string

Operating Systems Solaris Extract substring from a string
# 1  
Old 11-13-2009
Data Extract substring from a string

i have srtring i.e. "NAME,CLASS,AGE" (length of string is not constant) and from this string i've extract each word delimited by "," (comma).

INPUT: "NAME,CLASS,AGE"
OUTPUT: NAME
CLASS
how can i do that?
i have tried some string manipulation function like index (echo `expr index $stringZ $var`) etc, but it seems sun solaries does not support that one.
i am using bash shell

please help, i'll appricate any kind of help.
# 2  
Old 11-13-2009
There are several ways -
one is:
Code:
 echo "$string"| IFS=, read a b c
  echo $a
  echo $b
  echo $c

# 3  
Old 11-13-2009
length of "string" is not fixed, it can contain any number of word like
"STD,CLASS,AGE,DEPT"
"STD,CLASS" etc
# 4  
Old 11-13-2009
awk -F ',' '{ print "name " $1; print "Class" $2 }' and so on.
# 5  
Old 11-13-2009
i don't know how many word it contains, i mean to say this "string" is fetched from database, now i don't know how many word there. Like some time it may contain only 2 word some time 7, meaning to say we don;t know how many word are there.

i think now you got my problem, still not then please let me know
# 6  
Old 11-13-2009
Perhaps:
Code:
echo "$string" | tr ',' '\n'

If not, can you better explain what you want to achieve ?
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a substring from a file

Hello, A question please. A have a file that contains a string. Ex: AAAABBCCCCCDDEEEEEEEEEEFF I'd want to recover 2 substrings, 'BB' and 'FF' and then leave them in a new file. From position 5, 2 caracters (ex:"BB") and from position 25, 2 caracters (ex:"FF") in a file. Could anoyone help me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nolo41
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract substring in a file

Hello, A question please. A have a file that contains a string. Ex: AAAABBCCCCCDDEEEEEEEEEEFF I'd want to recover 2 substrings, 'BB' and 'FF' and then leave them in a new file. Could anoyone help me please? Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nolo41
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract a substring from a string

Hi, I have an input string say for example: ABC,DEF,IJK,LMN,...,XYZ The above string is comma delimited. Now I have to extract the last part after the comma i.e. XYZ. :b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bghosh
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a string up to the first occurence of a substring

Hi, I'm a newbie to shell scripting and have searched the forum but couldn't find what i was looking for. Basically I have a list of filenames like... 123-fileone.txt I want to be able to extract the prefix up to the first '-'. So I'd end up with 123. I have attempted it using a pretty... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirkg
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract substring of unknown length from string

I have a string: hgLogOutput=" +0000 files: forum/web/hook-test.txt /forum/web/hook-test-2.txt description: test" and I want to extract the file names from it, they will always appear between the files: and the description:. I have worked out that I can do this: "$hgLogOutput" | awk '{... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klogger
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a substring.

I have a shell script that uses wget to grab a bunch of html from a url. URL_DATA=`wget -qO - "$URL1"` I now have a string $URL_DATA that I need to pull a substring out of..say I had the following in my string <p><a href="/scooby/929011567.html">Dog pictures check them out! -</a><font... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellpower
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help... to extract the substring

> tnsping $TWO_TASK | grep HOST Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.12.10.212)(PORT = 1540)) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = OMTST15))) I want to extract like this HOST = 10.12.10.212 PORT = 1540 SERVICE_NAME = OMTST15 I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashok.83
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed extract substring on (OS X)

On OS 10.4.11 I have filenames like: 670711 SA T2 v1-1_DS_EF.doc CT_670520 AM T1 v1-2_DS_EF.doc CT_670716 - 2 SA T4 v1-2_DS_EF.doc CT_670713 SA T3 v1-1_DS_EF.doc 670421 PA DYP1 v1-1_DS_EF.doc CT_670425 PA DYP2 v1-1_DS_EF.doc CT_670107 RA T3 v1-2_DS_EF.doc CT_670521 AM T2 v1-2_DS_EF.doc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlommel
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Awk in shell script to extract an index of a substring from a parent string

Hi All, I am new to this shell scripting world. Struck up with a problem, can anyone of you please pull me out of this. Requirement : Need to get the index of a substring from a parent string Eg : index("Sandy","dy") should return 4 or 3. My Approach : I used Awk function index to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepms17
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

command/script to extract a substring from a string

I have a long string "<ID type="Oid">{}</ID>" I need to extract "GigabitEthernet0/1" from the above string. How can it be done? :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: girisha
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question