UNIX Newbie: need good resources

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX Newbie: need good resources
# 1  
Old 11-17-2003
UNIX Newbie: need good resources

I'm a network guy that needs some help with UNIX/PERL. My ultimate goal is to go through my firewall/perimter router logs and do DNS lookups, WHOIS, etc. on the denied traffic. I eventually would like to learn in detail but now just need the minimum to get started. Thanks.
# 2  
Old 11-17-2003
In addition to this forum, you can also use www.redhat.com, www.linux.org, www.sun.com, and about a gazillion more webpages that you can find by doing a Google search. You can type in something like "linux newbie" or "beginner linux", and you will find plenty. The first three sites I stated will get you by for awhile.
# 3  
Old 11-18-2003

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Any Good resources to learn Python

Hi Guys, I will be doing my masters in Comp science in a few months. I would like to get intimate with python by ideally doing a project based tutorial. Is there any good resource for learning python with an end project in mind. ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Good book on Unix

Please suggest me few good books on Unix. I have currently purchased Unix Power Tools. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashdeep
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we call JSP file from Unix.if so how.Please help me.Im newbie to Unix

Hi Can we call a jsp page from Unix.if so please let me know how we can.. thanks for the help in advance... thanks kumar (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailsukumar
0 Replies

5. SuSE

debian, good for newbie?

Hey all, new to unix.com have a couple quick questions, Is Debian, a good choice for a linux newbie? Is debian hard to install? thanks for any replies (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: schunn99
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Good books for UNIX

Hello, I have just started working on UNIX and from the role i am playing, i am getting the hint that i will have to go to the extreme level. Can anybody suggest me some good UNIX books which start from the basics and goes to the top level including architecture and all. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Resources

Good morning all! Does any know of any good resources to read up on why people would use Unix, what the weaknesses are of the platform and how it is used! Many thanks: Note: This is for an assignment, I know you are not suppose to ask for help or post assignment questions but all I am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zeta_Acosta
2 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Need Good UNIX Reference

For various reasons, I have had UNIX thrust upon me. Can anyone recommend a GOOD UNIX reference book for a beginner? Any help is greatly appreciated! :) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: michellev
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is Linux 7.2 Redhat a good start for a newbie

Never used UNIX before. Is Linux redhat 7.2 a good start? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: derek
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question