Question is redundant but please advice

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Question is redundant but please advice
# 1  
Old 09-25-2007
Question is redundant but please advice

I am really really new to Unix. I'm lost with so many books around for different shell. I'm thinking of taking a course on Operating Systems but it contains a lot of Unix programming I think. For example, someone was talking about a "which" command. But I wasn't able to figure out what it does... Which book gives me ideas on such things? Please advice...
# 2  
Old 09-25-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend986
Which book gives me ideas on such things? Please advice...
How could you go wrong with a book called something like "UNIX for Dummies"? Smilie

"which" looks for a program on the $PATH and prints what it found.

try the following...

Code:
which which
which man
man which
man man

# 3  
Old 09-25-2007
Thanks Smilie

Also thanks for the which explanation. So if I want to implement a hypothetical uwhich command that immitates the original which command, would that come under shell programming?

And finally, are there any unix simulators where i can do all this stuff or do you recommend me to install unix altogether?
# 4  
Old 09-25-2007
Quote:
So if I want to implement a hypothetical uwhich command that immitates the original which command, would that come under shell programming?
or pascal, or C or C++ or Java or Perl or whatever language you chose to write your "uwhich" program in.

Quote:
And finally, are there any unix simulators where i can do all this stuff or do you recommend me to install unix altogether?
Why simulate when you can have the real deal?

What are you intending to simulate on? And what is your definition of UNIX?

If I am to guess that you are using Microsoft Windows, then you could do worse than try Cygwin or even Microsoft's very own "Services For UNIX".

I have also had great success running UNIX Version 7 on a PDP-11 emulator running on a Linux machine if that is what you mean.
# 5  
Old 09-25-2007
I meant in C under Unix itself...

I was talking about simulators because generally they are easy to begin with. No hassles of installation. ANd my definition? Yeah, I know its an OS :P

My system runs Windows XP on a single drive. What is the best way to run Unix now? Paritition the disk or there's some other way?
# 6  
Old 09-25-2007
Quote:
I meant in C under Unix itself...
That would count as C programming. Smilie

Quote:
I was talking about simulators because generally they are easy to begin with. No hassles of installation.
Do you not have to install a simulator?

Quote:
My system runs Windows XP on a single drive. What is the best way to run Unix now? Paritition the disk or there's some other way?
Microsoft's Services for UNIX runs as a personality module under XP.

Cygwin runs as an application on XP.

Alternatively download and burn Ubuntu's LiveCD and boot from that.
# 7  
Old 09-25-2007
Well, yeah, I need to install even a simulator but I guess application installation is much easier than OS installation atleast according to me.

Anyways, I'm stuck here without any CDs or DVDs. Is it possible to boot from a LiveCd without actually burning it? Now don't kill me for this question. I'm just curious...

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reduce redundant file

Dear All, I have to reduce the redundancy of a file that is like this: a b 0 a c 0 a f 1 b a 1 b a 0 b c 1 d f 0 g h 1 f d 1 Basically, this file describe a network with relative nodes and edges. The nodes are the different letters and the edges are represented by the numbers (in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: giuliangiuseppe
7 Replies

2. AIX

Rebooting redundant VIOs and mirroring of PVs they serve to client LPARs

need to confirm: we have a system with two VIOs each serving a partition on a local disk to a client LPAR. That client LPAR has them both in a VG which is mirrored (exact). So each disk has a copy of the client LV that the client VG supports. This is the setup that was bequeathed to us by the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maraixadm
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Redundant IP interfaces for ISCSI boot?

I'm building a Solaris 11 OVM environment and want to configure everything to boot from our high performance SAN (no local disks). I've got everything working and the system boots nicely via an OBP configuration however I'd like to configure redundant IP interfaces within Solaris, what I'm... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ISCSIboot
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing lines with non-redundant itens in the output

Hi all, I'm trying to select lines of a file and at the end do not have redundant itens: Input A_B K_A C_T A_O U_B P_C D_F Z_G W_U Output A_B C_T D_F Z_G W_U (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: valente
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit a script in 2 redundant servers at once

Hi All, We have a redundant server system and every time we need any change in any particular script then we need to do it individually in each of the server. I want to create a shell script such that if i make changes in primary server and run the script then it should update the changes to ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimemastergogo
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find redundant text in a file

I want to find which pattern or strings have occurred more than one time so that I can remove unnecessary redundancy. For example: If I have the sentence: A quick brown brown fox jumps jumps jumps over the lazy dog in a file, then I want to know that 1. the word "brown" has... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbar
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting all rows that contain redundant information

My input file looks like this: 1 rs4040617 0.08356 1 rs4040617 0.06799 1 rs2977612 0.07948 1 rs2977612 0.07882 1 rs2977612 0.07783 1 rs2977612 0.08142 1 rs2977612 0.07716 1 rs2977612 0.08356 1 rs2977612 0.06799 1 rs2980300 0.08356 1 rs2980300 0.08142 I want to delete all rows that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Eliminate redundant data pairs

Hello Experts: I appeal to you to see if you can help me with a small problem. I have a .log file where there is data in two columns (separated by a space). The file is thus: 0.0 3 0.0 6 0.0 6 0.0 6 0.0 7 0.0 7 0.0 7 0.0 7 0.0 11 0.0 11 0.0 11 0.0 11 0.0 11 0.1 17 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Flamex
6 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

ZFS Raidz not redundant?

My ZFS on debian media server just died in a power outage, the zpool status shows this: NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM tank UNAVAIL 0 0 0 insufficient replicas raidz1 UNAVAIL 0 0 0 corrupted data sda ONLINE 0 0 0 sdb ONLINE 0 0 0 sdf ONLINE 0 0 0 sdh ONLINE 0 0 0 sdi ONLINE 0 0 0 sdk ONLINE 0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastersarg
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

to check redundant file names

hi i have a very simple problem iam moving files from download to archive folder but before such a transfer want to make sure no two file of same are present in my download directory how to check for redundant file names i thought of using WC but it counts inside the file (lines and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question