SunOS 5.8 and mouse setup

Operating Systems Solaris SunOS 5.8 and mouse setup
# 1  
Old 10-17-2012
SunOS 5.8 and mouse setup

Hi everybody, hope you're fine Smilie.

I'm coming back to you one more time because I have a problem I can't solve (and spent already a lot of time looking for an answer on the internet).

So, I have a Sun Blade 1500 x64 sparc arch with Sun OS 5.8 installed on it.
I know, SunOS is out of date, but I need that specific OS version because I'm using Cadds software wich needs that version of SunOS.

Everything just works fine with that machine, except for the mouse.

It's a USB mouse with 2 buttons and a wheel.

Left click and right click just work fine, but I can't get the wheel to work (or the middle click).

The problem is, to use Cadds in good conditions, we have to middle click a lot and that does nothing.

Do you know how I can set up the mouse in SunOS 5.8? I looked on the internet, founded lots of man pages, but haven't been able to set it up yet.

Any help is welcome Smilie.

Thanks a lot in advance.

ps : sorry for my bad English, this is not my native language but try my best Smilie
# 2  
Old 10-17-2012
X sees a mouse with two buttons and a scroll wheel as a 5 button device. The scroll wheel is considered to be two buttons. Scrolling in one direction is considered the same as pressing a button multiple times. Likewise in the reverse direction. Additionally, the scroll wheel itself can be pressed like the other conventional buttons.

Try adding the following two lines to the mouse section of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf, i.e.
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier "Mouse0"
   Option "Buttons"     "5"
   Option "ZAxisMapping"  "4 5"
EndSection

# 3  
Old 10-17-2012
AFAIK, Solaris 8 was using Xsun, not Xorg so there was no xorg.conf.

If you are adventurous, there is a Wheel mouse driver for Solaris 8 here, although it seems you would need to compile it from source.
# 4  
Old 10-18-2012
Hi there guys Smilie.

Thanks a lot for your very quick answers.

@fpmurphy
As jlliagre said, xorg is not installed on that computer, so i'm afraid it won't work. But thanks for your quick help anyway. (if you have any idea on my other issue below Smilie )

@jlliagre
I just had a look at the link you gave me. It seems to be what I'm looking for. But will it work with CDE (Common Desktop Environment) which I have to use for Cadds, because they give a configuration file for openwindow.

Also, in installation instructions, it says I'll have to use kdmconfig to select "USB mouse (Scrollwheel)".

I have already tried to use the "kdmconfig" to set up my keyboard, but all I got is :
kdmconfig: not found

================================

BTW, sorry for asking one more thing, but I haven't been able yet to change my keyboard layout which is by default set to English. I would like to set it up to French. I've already been reading lots of documentation about it, but nothing worked yet. Any idea?

Thanks again for you help

ps : let me know if you need more details on my configuration
ps2 : sorry again for my English Smilie

Last edited by firstpost; 10-18-2012 at 05:33 AM..
# 5  
Old 10-18-2012
It should work with CDE. The /etc/openwin/server/etc/OWconfig is the Xsun server configuration file, not the OpenWindows one.

kdmconfig is an x86 only command unavailable on SPARC. USB keyboard layout is expected to be auto-detected by the driver and a dip-switch allows to change the setting. That is at least the case with the Sun keyboards. Unfortunately, most generic/cheap keyboards always advertise an US layout so you need to configure them on the server.

You might use xmodmap to map the keycodes to the correct keys.
Code:
# save the current layout
xmodmap -pke > qwerty.map
# make a copy
cp qwerty.map > azerty.map
# fix the layout
vi azerty.map
# load the new map (should be done each time the X server is launched)
xmodmap azerty.map

This User Gave Thanks to jlliagre For This Post:
# 6  
Old 10-18-2012
OK, thanks again jlliagre for your quick reply.

But, I feel a bit stupid now Smilie.

When I run "make reallyinstall" as root, the output is "make: not found"

But, when I do it with a standard user, I got :
Code:
doing install of 64bit module
cp sun4u/usbsm /platform/sun4u/kernel/drv/`isainfo -n`
cp: cannot access sun4u/usbsm
*** Error code 2
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `copydrv_64'

Why does the make command works for a user and not for root?

Did I miss something for the installation process?

Sorry, I know my question looks stupid, but I don't get it ;(

Thanks again in advance, and sorry for the assle Smilie
# 7  
Old 10-18-2012
You need to add /usr/ccs/bin to your PATH when logged under root.
This User Gave Thanks to jlliagre For This Post:
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

Keyboard vs mouse

Which Input device do you use the most ? for me... keyboard ofcourse !! (56 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpraveen84
56 Replies

2. AIX

NIM server setup on etherchannel setup environment

I know that IBM's official stance is that NIM does not work on etherchannel environment, but has anyone able to get around it? I'm working on a p5-590 LPAR system, and the NIM master and clients are all on the same frame. Any help is appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pdtak
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing middle mouse button for pasting to right mouse button in cygwin rxvt

Hi, I'm using rxvt in Cygwin and I'm wondering how to change my mouse bindings from the middle button for pasting to the right button. The main reason why I want to do this is because my laptop doesn't have a middle mouse button. Thanks for any help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sayeo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Building a better mouse trap, or How many lines of code does it take to trap a mouse?

Hello all, I'm hoping to get a little insight from some of the wily veterans amongst you. I've written a script to check for new outgoing files to our vendors located on our ssl server. It seems to be working ok, but the final question here, will be one of logic, and/or a better way to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mph
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Indigo mouse

A few years ago i found i the Net a "homework" about how to convert ps2 mouse to Indigo mouse. But i do not save it. Anybody helps me? There are about 10 Indigo mice in all of my country. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikidimov
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Migration of binary file from Sunos 5.8 to Sunos 5.9

I have compiled binary file using "cc" on SunOS 5.8 and the same binary file i have copied to SunOS 5.9 and it is giving me core dump error.I want to know whether migration of compiled code from lower version to higer version created this problem. how can i solve this problem.I am pasting the core... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arvind Maurya
1 Replies

7. BSD

BSD mouse

Hey guys am runing FreeBSD 5.3 on my laptop, i know i have done it before but i cannot for the life of me get my wireless microsoft mouse working in kde. is is connected threw usb. I ran a dmesg and it see the mouse in uhid0. let me know if ya guys could give me a hand in this thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: THCue
1 Replies

8. Linux

Mouse Problems

I just got the other computer working again and i put Fedora Core 2 on it but theres a problem. It wont recongnize my mouse at all. Not in installation or in the actual desktop... it doesnt even know its there. It says No - Mouse.... does anyone know how i can fix this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FordGuy
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question