How to replace the 2nd character in a string using sed?

Operating Systems Linux How to replace the 2nd character in a string using sed?
# 1  
Old 10-30-2009
How to replace the 2nd character in a string using sed?

Hi,
i have string var1=NN. Based on conditions, i have to change this first N to Y or second N to Y and send the details to other process. How to do that? This is a linux machine.

Thanks,
Selva
# 2  
Old 11-02-2009
bash has this:
${stringSmilieosition:length}
Code:
var1="NN"
if [[ "$condition1" = "OK" ]] ; then
   tmp="Y""${var1:2:1}"
else
   tmp="${var1:1:1}""Y"
fi 
var1=$tmp

gives YN and NY depending on condition1
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or traili

Hi, Anyone can help using SED searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or trailing space/blank. Text file : "1"|"ExternalClassDEA519CF5"|"Art1" "2"|"ExternalClass563EA516C"|"Art3" "3"|"ExternalClass305ED16B8"|"Art9" ... ... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK/SED print if 2nd character in a column is greater than 0

We have an access log where column 8 displays the time in seconds like below: Tj8nQAoNgwsAABov9cIAAAFL - 10.13.131.80 - - (0) - "GET /aaaaa/bbbb/bbbb where column 8 is printed (0). We are trying to find how many entries are there that has column 8 greater than 0. Remember $8 is (0) and not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacemtn5
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace a character in a string-help please

I have a string eg. word=promise and I have the masked version of the word which is -------(7dash for each character) if the user input a character O, I want the masked version of the word to be --o---- if the user inputs another character p, then the masked word becomes p-o---- How can i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajugurung
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace character from string

I have a string ----- i want to replace the 3rd '-' with a character How can i do that Basically im trying to do hangman I have added the '-----' string to a file called hash and i have the character in a variable called $input also i have the character location(index) in this variable... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: omaral
12 Replies

6. Programming

Question how to replace last character string

Hi, Could someone help me how to replace last character string. For example $>export T1=abcde $>export T2=xyz my question is how to get result abcdxyz? Many Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicklau81
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

In Sed how can I replace starting from the 7th character to the 15th character.

Hi All, Was wondering how I can do the following.... I have a String as follows "ACCTRL000005022RRWDKKEEDKDD...." This string can be in a file called tail.out or in a Variable called $VAR2 Now I have another variable called $VAR1="000004785" (9 bytes long), I need the content of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohullah
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace any control character in the string

Need to replace any control character in the string in perl ---------- Post updated at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:50 PM ---------- Any help !!! Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansini
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace first character of string sed

I want to change the first/or any character of a string to upper-case: String: test Desired results: Test or tEst or teSt or tesT thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question