Set hard block limit for user using quota

Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Set hard block limit for user using quota
# 1  
Old 11-21-2017
Set hard block limit for user using quota

hi all,

i have installed quota on my centos 7 machine and its what im after (setting size limit on users, so they cant fill the hard drive)

i want to now make this part of my create user script for my sftp server so i want to do a echo and a read command so i capture the limit they enter and it puts the limit in the 4th column under hard

what i do is run the command below

Code:
edquota -u username

once its opened up the below table i just input the required hard blocks ie 900000

Code:
Disk quotas for user robw (uid 1000):
  Filesystem                   blocks       soft       hard     inodes     soft     hard
  /dev/sdb1                         8          0          0          2        0        0

is this easy to do please

many thanks,

rob

---------- Post updated at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:39 AM ----------

sorted it by running this command -

Code:
setquota -u robw 0 52428800 0 0 -a /dev/sdb1

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to robertkwild For This Post:
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read the USER Quota in SSH

How the User Quota query from an SSH access to Linux Shell. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linuxmann
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The block size in my quota is showed wrong

The block size in my home directory is showed wrong when I use "quota" command. It shows I use 1.2 gb ( about 1200000) while the real size in my directory which I use "du" command is 96 MB I really confused. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thsecmaniac
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

lvm user quota

Whats the best method of setting lvm user quota? I saw both of these and I am not sure which to use. Linux File System Quotas Howtos Linux-Vserver With LVM And Quotas - 5dollarwhitebox.org Media Wiki (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

To set quota on a folder

Hi guys, I know that we can set quota limit for an OS user on a filesystem. But I have a different objective to achieve - can we set a limit on a folder on a filesystem. Let use I have a 'apps' folder in some filesystem. Disc space occupied by 'apps' should not be more that 5GB. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jredx
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

User quota

Hi, I want to apply the user quota, but i am unable to apply the quota to user. Kindly provide the guide line, so that i can sortout the problem. Step 1: Create partion on device #fdisk /dev/sda (because hard disk is scsi) #n (new partition table) i.e /dev/sda8. #p ( to print the partition... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahu.tapan
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Enable user quota

hi! i would like to enable user quota on my system (FreeBSD 6.2) i've check on enabling user quota here but i still confuse with fstab it shows there: /dev/da1s2g /home ufs rw,userquota 1 2 but my current /etc/fstab : # Device Mountpoint FStype Options ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rdns
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Set quota on directories

Hi all, Is it possible to set a quota on subfolders? I understand it can be set on file system level, how bout on individual folders? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: *Jess*
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Forwarding and Quota limit!

Hi, I've a squirrel mail which is based on a Debian Linux and my Quota is 1.4Gb which is shared between my files and my E-mail. I make a ".forward" file to forward my E-mail to another mail sever (e.g Gmail). -My first question is if my quota exceeded, what happened to my E-mails. Are they... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjdousti
2 Replies

9. Linux

How to set user quota

I've a redhat 9.0 and I want to set a user quota. but the question is where should I start from and How ??? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KaiXiang
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can I check the user's mail quota?

how can I check mail quota, and then how can I send mail to user whose quota get full??? :confused: For this which script must I use? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: emreatlier
8 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question