how do I start an xTerm on my pc?

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how do I start an xTerm on my pc?
# 1  
Old 10-04-2002
Question how do I start an xTerm on my pc?

Hi all,

I am using a wizard from Hummingbird to create an Xterm on my pc, but I was wondering if I can create one without the help of Hummingbird. Could someone please help?

thanks
Ivo
# 2  
Old 10-04-2002
Firstly, do you have X installed?

What version?

What window manager?

What system?
# 3  
Old 10-04-2002
.....yes, sorry, here's more info.

I am using a HP 9000/899 with HP-UX B.10.20. X is installed but I can't see which version. As for a window manager, I am using WindowXP, or do you mean something else?
# 4  
Old 10-04-2002
I don't know much about HP 9000 - so bare with me!

Is your system setup with a grphical login or command line login?
# 5  
Old 10-04-2002
I use a telnet session to login.
# 6  
Old 10-04-2002
Tools

When you like to open a Xterm window on your PC (e.g. running winXP), you need a window manager like Hummingbird.

If do not like Hummingbird (to expensive, to big) you can get a window manager from the internet.

I do not know where, i never used a free one, but Iam sure there are some out there
# 7  
Old 10-08-2002
So

Ivo,

Did this fix your problems, or do you still have

Last edited by janr; 10-08-2002 at 08:59 AM..

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Splitting week start date and end date based on custom period start dates

Below are my custom period start and end dates based on a calender, these dates are placed in a file, for each period i need to split into three weeks for each period row, example is given below. Could you please help out to achieve solution through shell script.. File content: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani2019
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start program in background (or start crontab ahead of time)

Hey! I'm working on a script that will add a user, create some configfiles, and add a crontab for the user. The crontab looks like the following: @reboot /home/user/program config.conf & I would like for this process to start at the end of my script under the corresponding username by... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
0 Replies

3. AIX

Q: how to start a service when system start

As topic, assume we have a service called "blahservice" and we can start it by: startsrc -s blahservice what is the best practice to run such command when system start? - directly use mkitab to add it into /etc/inittab or - drop startup scripts in /etc/rc.d/rcX.d I know they... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: acerlinux
4 Replies

4. Linux

where to put an application if i want to start it on start up

hi i want to know the way by which i put any file somewhere and it get s started when the system restarts or bots i mean whenever my system starts that application must also start thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shukla_chanchal
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xterm

hi I'm trying to launch admintool via an export DISPLAY. that is i am doing a rlogin to serverB from serverA. i did the command export DISPLAY=serverA:0 but it prompted me the error DISPLAY=serverA:0: is not an identifier i have searched the forum but there is not much things on this error... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: legato
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

xterm help?

I want to add a title to this xterm window but cannot figure out how. Can anybody assist with this? xterm +sb -geom 80x25 -ls -tn xterms -tm "intr ^q" -name unikix -e $UNIKIX/bin/unikixl (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: douknownam
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xterm?

Hello all, This is a lame question because I have been working with unix for some years now, but anyway here it is; What is an xterm? ivo (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ivo
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I start a program when I start my Computer?

I'm running MAC OS X and I'm wondering how I start 'nixey programs (not normal apps) on startup? Things like the dnet client and hxd Hotline Server. Anyone know? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: l008com
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xterm

Would someone tell me how to save changes in xterm once I've made them using the program options? For example, I type: xterm -bg red and my console window changes color. But how can I now make this attribute save, so that it becomes the default when I relaunch xterm? Any help you can offer... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: af6
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Xterm

Guys: Anyone have ideas on where can I get information or references if I want to learn on how to program with UNIX GUIs? If you do have ideas please let me know. Its a big help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfsuminist
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question