Unix Shell background processing

Top Forums Programming Unix Shell background processing
# 1  
Old 09-27-2010
Unix Shell background processing

So I made my own unix shell, but i want to make a background process when using the & appended to the end, so far most of the commands seem to work (except cd, but thats another story)
right now here is what I have got.

Im thinking maybe I shouldn't be using switch and maybe switch it to something else, and Im also unsure of how to actually CHECK to see if theirs an &, because im not sure if my parsearg function will do the trick

thanks

Last edited by Mercfh; 09-28-2010 at 06:54 PM..
# 2  
Old 09-27-2010
Rather than using your own ParseArgs function, C has a built-in function called "getopt". It is a lot cleaner and meant for parsing command line arguments. (getopt(3): Parse options - Linux man page)
# 3  
Old 09-27-2010
Oh....well crap.
Oh well I mean the parsing function works....
I checked with some extra debugging to make sure it's parsing and it is, however Im just not so sure how to do a background process, but after re-looking at my code...i can def. find the & just by cycling through the parse function again and checking for an &......

However Im still clueless as to what to do for background processing.

I tried to checkfor &...but keep getting a seg fault, i tried a for loop but it wouldnt work either. any ideas?

Last edited by Mercfh; 09-28-2010 at 06:54 PM..
# 4  
Old 09-27-2010
If you can now properly parse out the ampersand, I would suggest forking a process, daemonizing it, then executing whatever shell command is needed.
# 5  
Old 09-27-2010
Well if I could get that while loop to run id be able to get the & out....but for some reason i get a seg fault in the commented out section of the code....
# 6  
Old 09-27-2010
[edit] hang on

---------- Post updated at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:00 PM ----------

It could be crashing because you don't necessarily have 20 arguments. in which case you'll be feeding strcmp either garbage or NULL, either of which would cause it to crash. You'll need to remember how many arguments parseargs found(maybe put it through its return value instead of 'void'?)

In any case I don't think strcmp will do what you want. It returns 0 when the two strings are exactly the same, meaning, it'll only match on a line with no newlines containing nothing but &. I think you want strstr or strchr instead, see their man pages.

---------- Post updated at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:04 PM ----------

Code:
    switch(pid)
    {
        case -1:  
            cout << "DEBUG:Fork Failure" << endl;
            exit(-1);
            break;

case  0:
            execvp(cmd[0], cmd);

if(execvp(cmd[0], cmd) == -1)
            {
                cout << "Command Not Found" << endl;
                exit(0);
            }
            break;

default:  
            wait(NULL);
            cout << "DEBUG:Child Finished" << endl;
            break;
    }

I'm surprised this even compiled, a break in the default section is mandatory in some common compilers.

Imagine case 0 without the break. If execvp() fails and doesn't catch the error it might keep going, and print "DEBUG: child finished" because the case statements don't tell it where to end, just where to begin. But with the break, it will leave that section of code entirely like you expected it to do.
# 7  
Old 09-27-2010
EDIT WOOT IT WORKS.
check dis out
Code:
#include <sys/wait.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <string>
#include <iostream>
#include <stdlib.h> 

using namespace std;

bool ParseArg(char* cmnd, char* cmd[], char input[],bool BG)
{

cout << "myshell> ";
        cin.getline(input,50);
	cmnd = strtok(input, " ");
	int i = 0;

while(cmnd != NULL)
	{

cmd[i] = cmnd;
	    if(strcmp(cmd[i], "&") == 0){
//Debug	    cout << "& found";
	    cmd[i] = NULL;
	    return true;
	}

//Debug	    cout << cmd[i] << " ";
	    i++;
	    cmnd = strtok(NULL, " ");
	}
	return false;
}

void Clean(char* cmd[])
{
//Clean Array
        for(int a=0; a < 40; a++)
        {
             cmd[a] = NULL;
        }
}

void Execute(char* cmd[])
{
    pid_t pid;
    pid = fork();
    switch(pid)
    {
        case -1:  
            cout << "DEBUG:Fork Failure" << endl;
            exit(-1);
        case  0:
            execvp(cmd[0], cmd);

if(execvp(cmd[0], cmd) == -1)
            {
                cout << "Command Not Found" << endl;
                exit(0);
            }

default:  
            wait(NULL);
            cout << "DEBUG:Child Finished" << endl;
    }

}

int main()
{
   char* cmnd;
   char* cmd[40];
   char input[50]; 
   bool BG = false;

while(cmd[0] != NULL)
   {
    	Clean(cmd);
   	BG = ParseArg(cmnd, cmd, input, BG);
	cout << BG;
   	if(strcmp(cmd[0], "exit") == 0 || strcmp(cmd[0], "quit") == 0 )
   	{
             break;
   	}
	else
	{
            Execute(cmd);
	}

}

return 1;

}

It returns a bool & when it finds one, then removes it. I checked with some debug statements but it works and removes the & correctly so it can do the statements normally.

Problem is now......getting background process to run.......which im derping on bigtime

here is a copy of the output, notice the 0 next to DEBUG, and the 1 when & is found. it means the Bool BG is turned on, when it finds an &.

I

myshell> ls -a
. .. a.out fork.c Hello .hi shell shell.c
0DEBUG:Child Finished
myshell> ls -l &
total 36
-rwxr-xr-x 1 matt matt 8435 2010-09-26 20:43 a.out
-rw-r--r-- 1 matt matt 943 2010-09-26 20:44 fork.c
drwxr-xr-x 2 matt matt 4096 2010-09-27 02:13 Hello
-rwxr-xr-x 1 matt matt 8292 2010-09-27 18:06 shell
-rw-r--r-- 1 matt matt 1570 2010-09-27 18:06 shell.c
1DEBUG:Child Finished
myshell>

Last edited by Mercfh; 09-28-2010 at 06:57 PM..
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to log file processing details to database table usnig UNIX shell script?

we are getting files on daily basis.we need to process these files. i need a unix shell script where we can count 1-The no of files processed 2-No of data/record processed for each files. The script should log these details into a database table. If there is any error while file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atul kumar
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run multiple functions in Background in UNIX Shell Scripting?

Hi, I am using ksh , i have requirement to run 4 functions in background , 4 functions call are available in a case that case is also in function, i need to execute 1st function it should run in background and return to case and next i will call 2nd function it should run in background and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
8 Replies

3. Programming

awk processing / Shell Script Processing to remove columns text file

Hello, I extracted a list of files in a directory with the command ls . However this is not my computer, so the ls functionality has been revamped so that it gives the filesizes in front like this : This is the output of ls command : I stored the output in a file filelist 1.1M... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - Handling background processes - distributed processing

NOTE: I am using BASH and Solaris 10 for this. Currently in the process of building a script that has a main "watcher" daemon that reads a configuration file and starts background processes based on it's global configuration. It is basically an infinite loop of configuration reading. Some of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcarrion87
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

background processing in BASH

I have script 3 scripts 1 parent (p1) and 2 children child1 and child2 I have script 3 scripts 1 parent 2 children child1 child2 In the code below the 2 child processes fire almost Instantaneously in the background, Is that possible to know the status of pass/fail of each process... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
12 Replies

6. Linux

background processing in BASH

I have script 3 scripts 1 parent 2 children child1 child2 In the code below the 2 child processes fire almost Instantaneously in the background, Is that possible to know the status of pass/fail of each process "as it happens" ? In the present scenario although Child2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

run a shell in the background

How can I run a shell in the background? cat test.sh #!/bin/sh sleep 600 Thank u very much indeed! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GCTEII
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background shell script

I have a friend at work that asked me a question today and I figured I would seek help here. How does a shell script know whether it is running in the background or not? Thanks in advance for help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moofasa
5 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Unix Background

Hi, I'm new to this forums and to Unix OS... Is this the right place to put this thread? I just need to ask how to set the wallpaper that goes through the x-term windows in a Unix system? It's as if the x-term windows is transparent... I tried modifying the .login file and things got... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gri3v3r7
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

background for unix

Hi, I am a newbie learing Unix , I have started with teh book "the Design of the Unix OS" by Bach.After which I plan to read "UNIX Network Programming" by Richard Stevens. What is the background that one needs to learn unix. I know C. But I am not sure about my Operating Systems... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramyar
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question