Performance testing on AIX

Operating Systems AIX Performance testing on AIX
# 1  
Old 07-14-2008
Data Performance testing on AIX

I'm doing performance testing for one application which works on AIX.

But I don't know which performance parameters of memory need to be collected. Now, I just know very few:
1. page in
2. page out
3. fre

They are all collected by "vmstat" command.

I want to know, except for above parameters, what else do I need to collected?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by adasong; 07-14-2008 at 01:29 PM..
# 2  
Old 07-15-2008
Try nmon and capture the system stats using it. It provides very detailed and Excel Ready log files. Get a baseline of your first.

NMON will have Processor, memory, disk, IO and almost everything you can think of. Pretty good. It's not part of standard AIX, so you may need to download (free) and install it.
# 3  
Old 07-15-2008
It is a widespread misconsception that "performance" is some value you can simply measure, like "length" or "weight". "Performance" means something like "fitness for a given purpose" and without defining this purpose it means nothing at all.

If you want to "test performance" first agree with your customer what the goal of the system is. Something like "the system has to respond within 2 seconds to every message" or "the application has to finish every user action within 0.5 seconds" or "the system has to do 5000 transactions per hour" or whatever. But this parameter(s) have to be defined first, this is your "given purpose".

Only then you can start measuring (by counting transactions, seconds, ....) and find out how far off your requirement you are, if at all.

Everything else is aggregation of meaningless data*) to come up with meaningless curves (or other graphs) displaying them to meaningless people. Refuse such time-killing nonsense and concentrate on your work.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

PS: if, after defining your requirements, you need help in collecting or interpreting data for this defined purpose please write again. I will gladly help you further in this case.
*) To further expand on that: you can measure the number of transactions of an OLTP system and measure its weight, then come up with some "weight-to -transactions-quotient". You can now cut away some parts of the systems case and "measure" again and you will find that you have "optimized" the systems because afterwards it weighs, say, 3 pounds less. Would you think that you have made the system any better doing this? Would a nice curve generated from the data before and afterwards change your opinion?
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Testing the dds tape drive on AIX

Hi I need to make some restore tapes for our old AIX systems I have purchased some DDS2 tapes and cleaning tapes The tape drive is rmt0 what commands can I enter to run the cleaning tape through the drive and are the any commands I can enter to test these drives prior to using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmacher
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with extract application logs through shell script in performance testing

Hi Experts, I am new to shell.How to extract logs (Web,APP,Database) using shell in performance testing? Need for webserver logs,app server logs and d/b logs code. Thanks in advance Sree (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sree vasu
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Performance testing - training content

Hi Everyone, My company is involved in performing performance testing and now they want to perform couple of training related with executing those tests on the servers based on Unix sytems. And I have to provide them draft of the content for those trainings. I think this kind of training... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bartuss
2 Replies

4. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

using multiple iperf instances for performance testing

Hello all! I have the need to performance-test a MPLS switch, I was thinking of using iperf to accomplish the task. I had in mind using a linux box with a Gigabit interface connected to a L2 switch on a 802.1Q trunk. In the interface I would create 20 VLANs with 20 different IP subnets. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppucci
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

using multiple iperf instances for performance testing

Hello all! I have the need to performance-test a MPLS switch, I was thinking of using iperf to accomplish the task. I had in mind using a linux box with a Gigabit interface connected to a L2 switch on a 802.1Q trunk. In the interface I would create 20 VLANs with 20 different IP subnets. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppucci
0 Replies

6. Linux

Doubt about programs for testing Linux performance

Hello friends, I'm working on a Thesis and right now I'm in a phase of comparing a Linux vs Windows performance in similar situations on the same machine. I'm asking here because I would like help on this, since I've always worked in Linux as an Administrator and a user, never as a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lzcool
6 Replies

7. Web Development

Suggested tool / approach for performance testing

What is a good approach for a performance testing tool suite for web applications? I am specifically interested in tools that execute a certain set of tasks well as opposed to tuning high traffic sites. In other words, a profiler would be a good idea to have, although I understand these tools are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question