Special characters getting replaced by &Pound in Unix Environment

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Special characters getting replaced by &Pound in Unix Environment
# 1  
Old 09-23-2005
Special characters getting replaced by &Pound in Unix Environment

Hi,
Please find the Question Summary below-

In our email template document(.txt) bullets and Apostrophe are getting replaced by the string "&pound" in our Live environment.We are using sun solaris 8 in live.

Can anybody let me know why this happens and how to prevent this .

Thanks
Kaushik
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

With sed replaced special character is printed twice, why?

Dear all, I was wondering If you could help me out. I Am using a batch script to midfy some text files. Input: 912856 912857 912904Amongst others I use this line: REM I want to replace all lines that start with a 6-digit Number with a ftp command "get" followed by a path and the 6-digit... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIEMI
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help to delete special characters exists only at the end of the each record in UNIX file?

Hi, I have a file in unix with 15 columns.It consists special characters(#,$,^M,@,*,% etc)at the end of the each record.I want to remove these special characters.I used the following: Sed -e 's/ /g;s/ */ /g' . But It is removing special characters exists everywhere in the file(begining,middle... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshp
24 Replies

3. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

To remove any invisible and special characters from the file(exclude @!#$&*)

Hi Guys, My requirement is to remove any invisible and special characters from the file like control M(carriage return) and alt numerics and it should not replace @#!$% abc|xyz|acd¥£ó adc|123| 12áí Please help on this. Thanks Rakesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rakeshp
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special Characters BASH/UNIX term support

Trying to run this command: find /Volumes/Archive/ -type f -name "Icon" and get /Volumes/Archive//New Business and Marketing/2010 /Creative/Image Library/Stuff for Sean/Cafe Heineken/logo_Café Heineken_03.jpg: No such file or directory due to the accent on the filename. Is there a way around... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kostas123334
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX Special Characters

Any time I do : ls *.txt > mytext.txt I get something like this in the output file: ^ Tue Jan 22 16:19:19 EST 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux t1Fam_BrOv :~>alias | grep ls alias l.='ls -d .* --color=tty' alias lR='ls -R' alias la='ls -Al' alias lc='ls -ltcr' alias ldd='ls -ltr |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Environment Variable with Special characters

Hello all, I am facing with a problem of invoking an environment variable. If I use this command : /bin/ls -lt FILE_NM_?(20120515|20120516)??????_sas.sig | head -n1 | awk '{print $9}' It perfectly outputs the desired result. FILE_NM_20120516000000_sas.sig But if I do this:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sethmj
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Windows to UNIX FTP Special characters!

I have a file that has the name in one of the lines as MARíA MENDOZA in Windows. When this gets FTPed over to UNIX it appears as MAR�A MENDOZA. Is there anyway to overcome this? Its causing a issue because the file is Postional and fields are getting pushed by 2 digits.. Any help would be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venky338
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace new line with <br /> & escape special characters

Hi, I wish to replace a new line with br (html) but it doesn't seem to work message=$(echo ${FORM_message} | tr '\r' '<br \/>' ) what it gives me seems to be ... b...? I am also having problem escaping hash sign in cut command: list=$(echo "$line" | cut -d'\#;\#' -f1) ; my intention is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ted_chou12
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single/Multiple Line with Special characters - Find & Replace in Unix Script

Hi, I am creating a script to do a find and replace single/multiple lines in a file with any number of lines. I have written a logic in a script that reads a reference file say "findrep" and populates two variables $FIND and $REPLACE print $FIND gives Hi How r $u Rahul() Note:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_sarnayak
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix file does not display special characters

We have a unix file that contains special characters (ie. Ñ, °, É, ¿ , £ , ø ). When I try to read this file I get a codepage error and the characters are replaced by the # symbol. How do I keep the special characters from being read? Thanks. Ryan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ryan2786
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question
MKDTEMP(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							MKDTEMP(3)

NAME
mkdtemp - create a unique temporary directory SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> char *mkdtemp(char *template); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): mkdtemp(): _BSD_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
The mkdtemp() function generates a uniquely named temporary directory from template. The last six characters of template must be XXXXXX and these are replaced with a string that makes the directory name unique. The directory is then created with permissions 0700. Since it will be modified, template must not be a string constant, but should be declared as a character array. RETURN VALUE
The mkdtemp() function returns a pointer to the modified template string on success, and NULL on failure, in which case errno is set appro- priately. ERRORS
EINVAL The last six characters of template were not XXXXXX. Now template is unchanged. Also see mkdir(2) for other possible values for errno. VERSIONS
Available since glibc 2.1.91. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2008. This function is present on the BSDs. SEE ALSO
mkdir(2), mkstemp(3), mktemp(3), tempnam(3), tmpfile(3), tmpnam(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2008-08-21 MKDTEMP(3)