rm -i and deleting files from an index table

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting rm -i and deleting files from an index table
# 1  
Old 11-20-2010
Error rm -i and deleting files from an index table

Hi, I am trying to make a command to delete my files out the trash can, but one at a time.

I am currently using rm - i to do this, but the original file locations for restoring my files are heard on a .txt file which I am using as an index table.

How would I manage to make it so that if I remove a file using rm - i, the original path location is removed from my FileLocations.txt file aswell?

I so far have tried using ls dustbin > dustbin.txt to have a copy of the files in a textfile that still exist, and then I was going to try compare the files and remove the lines that did contain any of the file names in my dustbin.txt file.

The problem is I don't really know how to do this, hope you can help, thanks. Smilie
# 2  
Old 11-21-2010
Code:
ls dustbin >list.ini
ls dustbin | xargs rm -i
ls dustin | grep -vf - list.ini >removed.txt
cp -p FileLocations.txt FileLocations.tmp
grep -vf removed.txt FileLocations.tmp >FileLocations.txt
rm removed.txt FileLocations.tmp list.ini

Last edited by ctsgnb; 11-21-2010 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: typo error : dustbin instead of dustin
# 3  
Old 11-21-2010
Hi, thanks for the post, I sort of understand what it is supposed to do but when it tries to do the rm -i it is doing it on simply say *file* instead of /root/dustbin/file, trying to mess about with the code but all I got was it asking me the three things quickly without getting to press y or n, and then it simply once again said can't remove file no such directory.
# 4  
Old 11-21-2010
Code:
cd dustbin
ls >list.ini
ls | xargs rm -i
ls | grep -vf - list.ini >removed.txt

Last edited by Scott; 11-21-2010 at 03:28 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to ctsgnb For This Post:
# 5  
Old 11-21-2010
Hey, thanks again, it almost works now just there is a problem that when it prompts the rm -i, there is no chance for input it just displays for all the files

rm:remove regular file `file.txt`? Rm:remove regular file `file2.txt`?#

And gives no oppunrtinity to press yes. Do I need to insert some sort of break?
# 6  
Old 11-21-2010
Code:
cd dustbin
ls >list.ini
exec 3<list.ini
while read -u3 a
do rm -i $a
done
exec 3<&-
ls | grep -vf - list.ini >removed.txt

Last edited by ctsgnb; 11-21-2010 at 04:05 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to ctsgnb For This Post:
# 7  
Old 11-21-2010
Thank you very much for your help, it now works perfectly. Smilie Smilie

EDIT: Changed a few things to fix the couple of errors but thanks a lot for your help once again.

Last edited by E-WAN; 11-21-2010 at 04:34 PM..
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting unwanted text from a table

Hi everyone, I have a microbial diversity table in the format ;k__kingdom; p__phylum, etc, somer rows have descriptions before the :k__ (like the af028349.1 below) is there a way I can get rid of this text (which is different every time) and keep all the other columns? Thanks a bunch! ;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Juan Gonzalez
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup of index.* files

Sir, My server is hacked. Server administrator is saying that hacker used 0day CentOS kernal exploit to hack it. Now administrator updated the kernal and rebooted the server. But he is unable to cath the hacker, or how he initiated the process. So therefore i need your help in following... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SimonFrance
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to merge two files on an index

I have a need to merge two files on the value of an index column. input file 1 id filePath MDL_NUMBER 1 MFCD00008104.mol MFCD00008104 2 MFCD00012849.mol MFCD00012849 3 MFCD00037597.mol MFCD00037597 4 MFCD00064558.mol MFCD00064558 5 MFCD00064559.mol MFCD00064559 input file 2 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create table file from different files with index

Hi, I've several files with two collumns, where first collumn can be used as index. filename1 and filename2 how to create a file I should start with cat all files and extract first collumn to create an index? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sargotrons
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

join files with numbered index

Hi all I´m a newbie so maybe this question will make someone mad. I am trying this command; join -a1 -11 file1 file2 > file3 file1 looks like: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 file2: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: awe1
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort from start index and end index in line

Hi All, I have a file (FileNames.txt) which contains the following data in it. $ cat FileNames.txt MYFILE17XXX208Sep191307.csv MYFILE19XXX208Sep192124.csv MYFILE20XXX208Sep192418.csv MYFILE22XXX208Sep193234.csv MYFILE21XXX208Sep193018.csv MYFILE24XXX208Sep194053.csv... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krish_indus
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting table cells in a script

I'd like to use sed or awk to do this but I'm weak on both along with RE. Looking for a way with sed or awk to count for the 7th table data within a table row and if the condition is met to delete "<td>and everything in between </td>". Since the table header start on a specific line each time, that... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpfreak
15 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wh inode index starts from 1 unlike array index (0)

brothers why inode index starts from 1 unlike array inex which starts from 0 its a question from the design of unix operating system of maurice j.bach i need to know the answer urgently...someone help please (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sairamdevotee
1 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

why the inode index of file system starts from 1 unlike array index(0)

why do inode indices starts from 1 unlike array indexes which starts from 0 its a question from "the design of unix operating system" of maurice j bach id be glad if i get to know the answer quickly :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sairamdevotee
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help please!Split files according to index

Suppose I have a csv file like this: 27, california , A3 27, vermont, B6 27, ontario, B7 34, kansas, C9 34, washington, A2 How do I split this file into two files according to field1. file1: 27, california , A3 27, vermont, B6 27, ontario, B7 file2: 34, kansas, C9 34, washington, A2... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: onthetopo
9 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question