x86 Interrupts and system calls

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers x86 Interrupts and system calls
# 1  
Old 03-07-2012
x86 Interrupts and system calls

I recently went through Understanding the linux kernel, to get an idea of how system calls and interrupts function in an x86 based machine.

However, the level of detail has left me slightly confused. Here's what I understand.

System call process:

User mode:
User code calls a library function -> library function involves making a system call -> the int 0x80 instruction is executed causing transfer to kernel mode

Kernel mode:
Dispatch table is looked up for validity of the system call no. passed via eax register and if valid, backs up remaining structures onto kernel mode stack->system call routine calls the actual system call service routine.

Interrupt handling:
interrupt vector used to get into the IDT and the segment selector is retrieved after suitable privelege checks.-> After backing up registers, CS EIP obtained from the contents of the Gate descriptor and control jumps to 1st instruction of handler.

What I am not able to wrap my head around is how the above two : system call and interrupt handling tie in or overlap..

What i think happens is:
USER MODE | Kernel mode
User code->API->wrapper(0x80) -> Interrupt handling-> System call lookup(dispatch table)->System call routine.

Could someone help confirm / correct my understanding?

p.s the main area where i am fuzzy is what happens once the wrapper routine in the library does the system call. What location does the interrupt handler point to? And how is the system call no. used post it being put in EAX.?

Last edited by ab_tall; 03-07-2012 at 09:56 PM..
# 2  
Old 03-09-2012
Could this post be moved to the Unix for Dummies Q&A?
# 3  
Old 03-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_tall
I recently went through Understanding the linux kernel, to get an idea of how system calls and interrupts function in an x86 based machine.

However, the level of detail has left me slightly confused. Here's what I understand.
I dont know which Linux kernel book you are referring to...but the book from the creators of BSD is a good one as it goes throgh those details in a simple and conceptual manner...so check it out.
Quote:
System call process:

User mode:
User code calls a library function -> library function involves making a system call -> the int 0x80 instruction is executed causing transfer to kernel mode

Kernel mode:
Dispatch table is looked up for validity of the system call no. passed via eax register and if valid, backs up remaining structures onto kernel mode stack->system call routine calls the actual system call service routine.

Interrupt handling:
interrupt vector used to get into the IDT and the segment selector is retrieved after suitable privelege checks.-> After backing up registers, CS EIP obtained from the contents of the Gate descriptor and control jumps to 1st instruction of handler.

What I am not able to wrap my head around is how the above two : system call and interrupt handling tie in or overlap..

What i think happens is:
USER MODE | Kernel mode
User code->API->wrapper(0x80) -> Interrupt handling-> System call lookup(dispatch table)->System call routine.

Could someone help confirm / correct my understanding?
The API is the wrapper...0x80 isnt a wrapper...it is a software interrupt that is used to switch mode from user to kernel.

Quote:
p.s the main area where i am fuzzy is what happens once the wrapper routine in the library does the system call. What location does the interrupt handler point to?
That location is known only to the kernel as then the process is running in kernel mode...which could be a physical or logical address based on the mem mgmt policy the kernel uses.
Quote:
And how is the system call no. used post it being put in EAX.?
The system call no that is loaded into the eax register is used to index into the dispatch table...the kernel retrieves the address of the routine to service the interrupt based on the system call no found in eax...and then control is transferred to the first instruction at that address.

Last edited by shamrock; 03-11-2012 at 04:34 PM..
# 4  
Old 03-11-2012
Hmm so as I understand it,

int 0x80 causes the change to the kernel mode.

here 0x80 is used to index the IDT to get the location of the ISR.

What does the ISR location usually contain?

Does the ISR have code to use the system call no. from EAX to look into the dispatch table?
Also, I guess i'll have to look into how the dispatch table is populated in the first place.

The confusing part for me is that there seem to be 2 jumps here once we are in kernel mode.
1) Look up Interrupt vector table and jump to ISR
2) Look up dispatch table and jump to System call handler.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

This book is what I'm referring to: Amazon.com: Understanding the Linux Kernel, Third Edition (9780596005658): Daniel P. Bovet, Marco Cesati Ph.D.: Books
# 5  
Old 03-11-2012
Quote:
Hmm so as I understand it,

int 0x80 causes the change to the kernel mode.
Yes it is just a sw interrupt for switching from user to kernel mode.
Quote:
here 0x80 is used to index the IDT to get the location of the ISR.
No 0x80 is not the system call no...the system call no is inserted into eax by the wrapper routine before the int 0x80 instruction is executed...so for ex. if you call fputs its job is to setup the system call no in eax and then execute the int 0x80 instruction for mode switching.
Quote:
What does the ISR location usually contain?
It contains the instructions that makeup the ISR.
Quote:
Does the ISR have code to use the system call no. from EAX to look into the dispatch table?
That is the job of the kernel...it looks up the system call no in eax and then indexes into the dispatch table to get the address of the ISR and then jumps to that address.
Quote:
Also, I guess i'll have to look into how the dispatch table is populated in the first place.
Each dispatch table entry has two parts...one is the index or system call no and the other is the address of the ISR.
Quote:
The confusing part for me is that there seem to be 2 jumps here once we are in kernel mode.
1) Look up Interrupt vector table and jump to ISR
2) Look up dispatch table and jump to System call handler.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes you are wrong because the dispatch table is the same as the interrupt vector table and these terms are used interchangeably...similarly ISR is the same as the system call handler.
I havent looked at it...try reading the BSD one...it is here.
# 6  
Old 03-11-2012
Note that using int 0x80 to enter kernel mode has been deprecated since kernel 2.5 and replaced by the faster sysenter/syscall instructions when available.
# 7  
Old 03-12-2012
One more clarification,
From what i understand, there are a limited number of exceptions made available. But the no. of system calls is quite high,

If the dispatch table is indexed via the system call no. , this would seem to indicate there are a huge no. of entries in the dispatch table............but this doesnt seem to be the case right?

Meanwhile, i obtained the book mentioned above..but that doesnt give much x86 specific details.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls in UNIX

Hi i am very new to programming in UNIX and don't understand the difference between a system call and a normal function call. Also can I implement system calls from within a program? If so could someone please give me an example of a system call from within a program. Lastly, when creating a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bjhum33
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

system calls in C

Hello, how would i be able to call ps in C programming? thanks, ---------- Post updated at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:31 AM ---------- here's the complete system call, ps -o pid -p %d, getpit() (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About system calls.

Hi all, I am new here . I want to know about system call in detail. As system calls are also function .How system identifies it.:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwasrao
2 Replies

4. BSD

system calls

what is the functions and relationship between fork,exec,wait system calls as i am a beginer just want the fundamentals. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sangramdas
1 Replies

5. Programming

System calls

why user is not able to switch from user to kernel mode by writing the function whose code is identical to system call. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joshighanshyam
1 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Using system calls

Hi, I'm new to UNIX system calls. Can someone share your knowledge as to how exactly system calls should be executed? Can they be typed like commands such as mkdir on the terminal itself? Also, are there any websites which will show me an example of the output to expect when a system call like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ilavenil
1 Replies

7. Solaris

System calls ?

where can i find the differences in System calls between solaris and aix? also is it possible to find a comprehensive list of them? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TECHRAMESH
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls?

open, creat, read, write, lseek and close Are they all primitive? :confused: *Another Question: is there a different between a system call, and an i/o system call? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PlunderBunny
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls for cp and mv

Which system calls are made for operations cp and mv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurava99
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Calls

What does the system call "dup" do? What is the difference between dup and dup2 I have a fair idea of what it does but I am confused when its coming down to the exact details... Please help me!:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clickonline1
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question