Taking date difference

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Taking date difference
# 1  
Old 05-05-2009
Question Taking date difference

Hi,

There is requirement in our project where in we have to calculate the elpased time of the process which are running and then if the elapsed time is greater than specific time we have to send a mail.

In order to calculate the elapsed time we ahve use "ps -ef" command.The time displayed in ps -ef command is "06:57"
How to take the difference of the above obtain time with current system time?Smilie
And then how to compare the obtained with specific time let's say 45 minutes?

Thanks in Advance!!
# 2  
Old 05-05-2009
The time you see with ps -ef isn't the time you started the process, but the CPU time the process has used so far. Example: a daemon like cron will use almost no CPU time, since it only wakes up once a minute, starts some processes (if any), and then goes to sleep again. A process that uses a lot of CPU (calculations, encryption, ...) will quickly accumulate a lot of CPU time.
# 3  
Old 05-05-2009
In many versions of "ps" the "STIME" column is the process start time hh:mm:ss. Beware that the column format changes to the start date (rather than start time) once the process has been running for more than 24 hours.

If the job is backgrounded it may be easier to modify the original job script to set an "at -t +45 minutes" job to check whether the process is still present.

To properly answer the question we need to know your Operating System, Preferred Shell, and how the process is started.
# 4  
Old 05-05-2009
Question:
Why didnt you use timex ( or time ...) command?
# 5  
Old 05-06-2009
Thanks all for the reply Smilie

Since "ps -ef" command gives us the exact start time,we are using this command.
For example
HTML Code:
$ ps -ef | grep "DSD.RUN"
dsadm    29826 13475  1 23:53 ?        00:00:00 phantom DSD.RUN HEW_JOBS 0/0/1/0/0
dsadm     3200 28456  0 00:17 pts/3    00:00:00 grep DSD.RUN

$ date
Wed May  6 00:21:26 EDT 2009
In the above example we are using "23:53" as start time and then comapring it system time "00:21" and if the result greater than 45 minutes ,then send the mail to user.Our main problem is that since this process will run in night Smilie so it is very difficult to calculate the elapsed time Smilie
# 6  
Old 05-06-2009
The system details are:
Operating System:GNU/Linux
Preferred Shell:korn
# 7  
Old 05-06-2009
I definitaly would have opted for a script which :
launches your program followed by an at now + 45 min <check_presence_script
to do this task

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between two date

Hi, I created a script for finding the duration of a job using the start and end time of the job. But the command doesnt calculate correct value if the duration is more than 24 hours. Any help would be really good . cat test1 --- start time 03/27/15 17:41:00 03/24/15 11:58:04 03/23/15... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
3 Replies

2. AIX

Time Difference between date and date -u

Hi Everyone, We are having an issue with date and date -u in our AIX Systems. We have checked environment variable TZ and /etc/environment and however, we could not rectify the difference. >date Thu Mar 19 22:31:40 IST 2015 >date -u Thu Mar 19 17:01:44 GMT 2015 Any clue... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhav.kunapa
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two files with numbers and taking difference in third file

Hi All, I have two files in the following format, with numbers being defined under columns(described by a set of headers) and rows(again defined by a set of identifiers) 2013 2013 Make200 Make201 Merc BMW Jpur Del ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Taking the count of sundays between two date ?

Hi Am using unix Ksh Datecalc and --date functions are not working have two input variables as DATE=01/12/2012 DATE1=23/12/2012 Need output as no of sundays = 4 Can anyone help me pls :( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date difference

HI All , i need a bash script to find the number of days between two dates . Format YYYY-MM-DD THanks, Neil (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nevil
1 Replies

6. Programming

Date difference

I tried the below code to find difference between two dates. It works fine if the day of the month is 2-digit number. But it fails when we have a single-digit day of month(ex:1-9). my code is as below. please help me soon. #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use Time::Local; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandrec
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference in date

Hi All! I would like to know the time difference between two dates which are in same format... $ date -r abc Thu Oct 29 09:40:37 EDT 2009 $ date Fri Oct 30 02:07:03 EDT 2009 i would like to find the diff between these two dates in hours..please help..:) Regards, Kiran (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dddkiran
3 Replies

8. Linux

date difference

hi, i have 2 dates in the form: '20080315120030' and '20080310140030'. i.e. YYYYMMDDHHMMSS. i need a way of getting the difference between them using shell script. any thoughts? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: muay_tb
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

date difference

if there are two date one is entered by user and another is system date than how can we finds day difference between these two date try to make it within 4 lines (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: piyush_movadiya
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

date difference

Hi...I need some help with a date script. I need to allow the user to enter the month (alpha) day (int) and year (YYYY) and count the difference in number of days since Jan 1, 1952 to the users date. I've been messing with this for about 10 hours and I think I'm just making the script worse =( ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mtnbaby
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question