PhPMyAdmin basic set up on SUSE linux 9.1

Operating Systems Linux SuSE PhPMyAdmin basic set up on SUSE linux 9.1
# 1  
Old 07-15-2005
PhPMyAdmin basic set up on SUSE linux 9.1

Hey,

I was wondering if anybody could help me setup my PhpMyAdmin on my SUSE linux 9.1 machine. I want to use it to access MySQL server instead of the defualt MySQLCC-Console Manager.
I have not tried yet but i have done a such and it's installed in one of the folders.
I would like to point out that i have not set up MySQL server yet; i guess i will have to set it up first?
Thanks for the help in advance.
Regards,
sybella.

Last edited by sybella1; 07-15-2005 at 04:12 PM..
# 2  
Old 07-15-2005
More problems please help:

I have tried to register MySQL server to try and work in MySQLCC - Console manager and i'm getting the following error: "ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' ". I have tried to change the sockect path to '/tmp/mysql.sock' but still get the same error message.

Any ideals on how to solve this problem plz?

Regards,

Paul
# 3  
Old 07-15-2005
You need at least a MySQL client library on your server wanting to run phpMyAdmin. In this case, I generally install the server distribution which contains the client as well, but I install it without configuring any server stuff (boot config, database initialization, MySQL variables etc.)

Of course, if you want to administer a database server running on the same system you need a server configured also. If you just want to administer a remote system, you don't need a local server running.

So, from your error message seems like you are trying to connect to local MySQL server. So, has it been started? On the machine running the server, you can usually do a "netstat -tln" to check the list of ports listened on (Linux, may not be on Windows/other Unix OS). You should find "3306" if the server can be started.

Note that if you connect to a local MySQL server, the client and server socket paths should match!
# 4  
Old 07-15-2005
And one more thing. In order for phpMyAdmin to work, your PHP should be compiled with mysql extension builtin and enabled. It needs access to the client library. For some recent MySQL releases it is claimed to be able to be compiled embedded, but I have not much experience with this.
# 5  
Old 07-16-2005
CbKihong:

I want to administer mysql server running on the same machine; its running on the same suse linux 9.1.

I did a 'netstat -tln' and the only ports listened on are: (1056,2049,898,10025,10024,5801,139,111,631,25,953,445,53,22,25,953
). I couldn't find 3306; therefore i need to start the server, but how?

I would like to mention that i did a search and found that there is phpMyAdmin in the folders: usr/share/doc/packages/ and srv/www/htdocs/.

Plus i installed MySQL Server and phpMyAdmin from the DVD/CD that came with the SUSE linux 9.1

Thanks for your help
regards,
sybella.
# 6  
Old 07-16-2005
MySQL server can be started in a number of ways. As I haven't used SuSE for several years I have forgotten the exact configuration it uses. But in general, here are some general possibilities:

(1) I think the SuSE MySQL server RPM comes with the startup script, so it will be automatically started on startup (if without errors). Look inside /etc/init.d for the startup script. It may be called 'mysql' or something like that. Then

/etc/init.d/mysql start

If it cannot be started, you may need to read the log file to see exactly what the problem is. I think the log files are kept in /var/log/mysql. You may need to really dig it out if it is not.

This is generally the preferred way of starting a MySQL server.

(2) You may also run the mysqld_safe executable directly. But this can be a bit tricky, and if you don't have much experience it is possible that this may lead to files created in improper ownerships which create problems for future if you are to start this way.

Before you do this, please verify you really have the MySQL server installed. With most Linux distributions, the MySQL server and client are put in separate packages and so it is possible that you have installed the client but not the server. If you have server installed you should find some executables (usually in /usr/bin) with the name 'mysqld' or 'mysqld_safe' which correspond to the MySQL server.

When I installed the MySQL RPM with SuSE 7.3 several years ago the server would not start out of the box, as it was found that the file ownership were incorrect. The docs at mysql.com is quite overwhelming, but is useful in tracking down problems and fixing the common ones.
# 7  
Old 07-16-2005
Cbkihong thanks for your help.

This is what i have done: i have executed '/etc/init.d/mysql start'; which started mySQL service.

Then 'usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password' to try and set up new password. It came up with connection to server at 'localhost' failed. Error: 'can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock'. Check that mysqld is running. How do i check its running?
I have also looked in 'var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock; it does exist but couldn't open it.

I have checked mysqld exists in 'usr/sbin'

regards,
sybella
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Set password of a user in phpmyadmin

I have a mysql database on the server where I have root access also to phpmyadmin. I have such a database 1, which is a table users where a user named admin. How shall be observed as the password for this user? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mumie
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to set up Telnet on Suse?

I am trying to use telnet to access a linux box. I know I should be using SSH (which I use personally), but i have to use telnet. How do I configure the linux box to accept the telnet request. I am using Suse Thanks for any help (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: salil2012
11 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

How to set CoreDump in SuSE 10

Hi All, Am trying to modify the coreDump value in SuSE 10 by doing the following steps : 1. Add the line "ulimit -Sc 1004" to /etc/profile 2. Relogin using telnet and try the command "ulimit -c". The value is 1004 3. Now relogin using xbrowser the ulimit value is not reflected. OS :... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Laksmi
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

1st install Suse, network config set up

Hello, I'm a newbie to unix. I just about have the Suse 10.1 installed. During set up it automatically detected components to access the internet. But failed. I lost now. Any ideas? Thank You (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nick7269
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question