Problems with ACL (seems like a bug)

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Problems with ACL (seems like a bug)
# 1  
Old 04-18-2010
Problems with ACL (seems like a bug)

Hi, i think i have found a bug in the unix ACL permissions.
I tested this problem in the Ubuntu 9.10 and in SLES 10 and 11, all of them with setfacl 2.2.47.

Well, I have done the following test:

1) Create a folder and set some named user, and set the same ACL entry for the Default ACL, like the following example:
Code:
mkdir dir1
setfacl -m u:rodrigo:rwx dir1/
setfacl -d -m u:rodrigo:rwx dir1/
getfacl dir1/
# file: dir1/
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
user:rodrigo:rwx
group::r-x
mask::rwx
other::r-x
default:user::rwx
default:user:rodrigo:rwx
default:group::r-x
default:mask::rwx
default:other::r-x

At this moment I'm getting the following result when I type ls -l:
Code:
drwxrwxr-x+ 3 root root 4096 2010-04-18 10:35 dir1

Note that the permissions for the owner group is different than the ones shows by the getfacl command!

2) Now I create a file in this directory, that should inherit the Default ACL from dir1/
Code:
cd dir1/
touch file1
getfacl dir1/
# file: file1
# owner: rodrigo
# group: rodrigo
user::rw-
user:rodrigo:rwx        #effective:rw-
group::r-x            #effective:r--
mask::rw-
other::r--

Note that some permissions are different from the ones in the Default ACL in the dir1/

My question is: why the file1's permissions are diferrent from the dir1's default ACL entries? Is this a bug?

Thanks for reading!
# 2  
Old 04-19-2010
No answers?
# 3  
Old 04-20-2010
The result you got is the expected result.

See Handling ACLs especially the parts about masks.
# 4  
Old 04-20-2010
THANKS VERY MUCH!!!!!!

I searched for this information before posting, but found nothing.

Once again, thanks very much!

Now trying to understand the recursive ACL...Smilie
# 5  
Old 04-21-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigoroma
Now trying to understand the recursive ACL...Smilie
Just to add some info, you might want to have a look at the richer NFSv4 ACLs... some systems only support this kind of ACLs and will compain if you try to use POSIX ACLs. Smilie
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ACL confusion

All, I am trying to clear ACL's completely from all files and folders in a directory. I can get the directories as cleared as: # owner: root # group: root user::rwx group::r-x other::rwx default:user::rwx default:group::r-x default:other::r-x What ever I do I can't remove the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hburnswell
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ACL concept

Hi.. Could someone explain about setfacl,getfacl in unix and its uses. Regards, Suresh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suresh sunkara
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need assistance on ACL

Hi Friends, I went through the ACL threads that were posted in the past but none were matching to my requirement . Hence starting a new thread . Challenge : user : a group : Test1 user: b group: Test2 Say under user a i create dir /tmp/debug with the privilege of 755 and also... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: leobreaker
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

When did HP-UX have support for ACL?

Hello, I try to find what year HP-UX got support for ACL (Access Control List)? I know that HP-UX was the first Unix with ACL support, but it is very hard to find the information on when that occured. So anyone here know when that did happen? Any answers are appreciated, /eXpander (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eXpander
1 Replies

5. Solaris

ACL

Can i get the synopsis for add multiple users in single command for ACL access for a directory or a file thanks in advance dinu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinu
3 Replies

6. Linux

ACL

Hi, I want to know what does the "effective" comment means in the output of the getfacl and whether it has to do with the acl mask... thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gartlar
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ACL vs privileges

Hello genius..! what do y'all think of these questions...? help appreciated...! Access Control Lists and privileges.... # Why both file ACLs and user permissions/privileges (not to be confused with rights in ACLs) are used in Windows access control (why not just use one of these)? # In... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: heroine
1 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

ACL

Hi all, I've just been handled the responsibility for a FTP-site. Having no experiens of UNIX at all. And now one of my users needs to have full access to the usr directory and all it's subdirectories, don't know why just trying to do what the boss tells me. The type of UNIX is FreeBSD and the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: -tri-
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question