Old 06-23-2010
Show the entire line using ps

Using the vanilla
Code:
ps -ef

I noticed that the CMD (or command) line gets cut off after 90 characters
Code:
 UID   PID  PPID   C    STIME TTY         TIME CMD
root  6020  3822   0   Jun 19 ?           0:01 ./webservd-wdog -r /export/opt/sows/61sp4 -d /export/opt/sows/61sp4/https-logse

Googling suggested i try this but it fails:
Code:
ps -elf --width 500 | grep java
"ps: illegal option -- width"

How can I prevent CMD from being cut off?
I'm on SunOS 5.10!!

Last edited by Scott; 06-23-2010 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags
# 2  
Old 06-23-2010
You might try setting the COLUMNS variable to something large.

Code:
COLUMNS=65535 ps ...

And if that doesn't work, a slightly uglier way is to just redirect it to something. Most implementations of ps only truncate the line when writing to a terminal.

Code:
ps ... | cat
ps ... > /tmp/tmpfile

# 3  
Old 06-23-2010
Tried all threeSmilie didnt work!!

Code:
COLUMNS=65535 ps -ef | grep java

and
Code:
ps -ef | grep java > out.txt

and
Code:
ps -ef | cat

UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD
root 6020 3822 0 Jun 19 ? 0:01 ./webservd-wdog -r /export/opt/sows/61sp4 -d /export/opt/sows/61sp4/https-logse
# 4  
Old 06-23-2010
Found a link tha suggests an alternate command, /usr/ucb/ps -ww ...
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:
# 5  
Old 06-23-2010
Corona : Muchas Gracias!! That did it!!!
Specifically the following:

Code:
/usr/ucb/ps -auxw

will display the ENTIRE process command line without truncating anything!!!

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract entire para instead of just line?

Hello, I have a file with multiple paragraphs/sections each starting with word "Handle" and if I grep for a pattern, I should get contents of entire section/para (not just line). Please advise, thanks! #script.sh file.txt "System Information" Handle 0x0001 DMI type 1, 27 bytes. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddyr
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using the entire line with space in between

Hi Folks, I have a report data like the one seen below. FRUITS@NEW_ORANGE(1500 04/29) FRUITS@NEW_ORANGE(1500 05/04) FRUITS@NEW_ORANGE(1500 05/05) FRUITS@NEW_ORANGE(1500 05/07) FRUITS@NEW_ORANGE(1500 05/12) I need to use each of this lines separately in another for loop like the one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayadanabalan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed to replace entire line

Hi, I need to replace an entire mailx line as follows using sed: sed -e 's/<line1>/<newline>/g' <filename> But I am getting comman garbled error since the new line has many special characters. I enclosed allspecial chars in \ but still no use. Can any one help me? Please use code... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinodhin4
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep to find entire line ....

As per my understanding below mentioned line of code finding a word 'boy' in $ACULOG... num_errors=`grep -i -e fail -e illegal -e exception -e "<E" -e boy $ACULOG | wc -l` if I'm not corerct, please correct me. How I can find entire line like "This is a boy" with something similar as above... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: heyitsmeok
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Show entire lines with diff command

Hi, When I run the diff command using diff -yt file1 file2, I get the output in which original lines are truncated. I tried using -W switch with diff. However, that does not produce exact output as I want. Is it possible to show entire line of file1 and file2 in diff command's output? ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jal_capri
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace entire line

I want to replace one line from my configuration file with the new settings. The file Name: /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf The following line should be replaced with the line mentioned below. LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\"" combined LogFormat "\"%h\"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print the entire line if second field has value P

Friends, I have .txt file with 3 millions of rows. File1.txt ABC1|A|ABCD1|XYZ1 ABC2|P|ABCD2|XYZ2 ABC3|A|ABCD3|XYZ3 ABC4|P|ABCD4|XYZ4 If second field has value P then print the entire line. Thanks in advance for your help, Prashant (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppat7046
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

print entire line after if lookup

I hope this is a basic question. I have a file with a bunch of strings in each line (and the string number is variable). What I want to do is a simple if command and then print the entire line. something like awk '{if ($3=="yes") print $1,$2,$3,...$X }' infile > outfile Can someone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep entire statement not just line

(extract from SQL binlog file...) # at 4960 #080801 14:35:31 server id 4 end_log_pos 195 Query thread_id=63121426 exec_time=0 error_code=0 use d_jds; SET TIMESTAMP=1217581531; UPDATE bid_details set bidding = 3170.37 ,deduction=if((3170.37 < 37.43),0,deduction) where... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture entire line in ps command

I need to determine what processes are running at certain times of the day. I have a script that issues the /usr/ucb/ps aux command and captures it to a file. I want to see the cpu usage and memory usage. This command lops off the end of the of the display line so I can't see the entire... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question