Making a "Recovery Partition" ??

Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Making a "Recovery Partition" ??
# 1  
Old 08-22-2007
Making a "Recovery Partition" ??

Hiya people..

I was hoping some expert here would share with me some details as I like to make a "System Recovery Partition" on a external drive. I use my MacBookPro on the road all the time and in the past it's known to happen, and often it happens at the worst time.

So, my question is:
Does anyone know how to make a boot-able recovery partition, allowing me to boot in OSX then reinstall OSX from this partition to the internal drive (assuming the hard drive hasn't died), along with all my applications.. I know some people make a backup of their system DVD.. but I don't wanna be carrying around a pile of DVD's.

I tried copying the System disks to the external drive, but when you click on the system install, it forces the system to restart... This is the bit at bugs me!

Other people have suggested i clone the system but my external drive is way smaller than the internal.. So a clone isn't a viable option. And, I'd sooner have a recovery partition, this way I have the option to rebuild the System, minus any bugs which might occur.

Thanks, in advance.

Last edited by Akira; 08-22-2007 at 11:20 PM..
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What choice when "making" an executable on FreeBSD?

I should make an executable on our server, and are having some problem (I changed this question cause I found out that anser). I'm getting this error when trying to do make: In file included from... /usr/include/sys/file.h:161: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before 'u_int' *** Error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 244an
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

fsck.gfs2 outputs "RG recovery impossible; I can't fix this file system"

I have a CentOS release 5.2 (Final)host running kernel 2.6.18-92.el5 with at raid 10 that had two mirrored drives fail. The drives were re-inserted and now the raid shows healthy (for now). I tried to mount but got an Input/output error. I then attempted a fsck: fsck.gfs2 -y /dev/vg_01/uss_vol... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: king_hippo
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

linux system recovery after overriding connect() by "ld.so.preload"

dear fellows; i have used ld.so.preload file to override connect() function, dynamic library overriding, it did worked really fine ...... but i went on to struck in a situation ... within the overrided connect() i have used printf once to see IP and Port to whom the connect request is being... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mzeeshan
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making your script "universal"

I'm currently using Sun Solaris Unix. How can you make your unix bash or C script usable in all directories and subdirectories and not just the dir the script is located in? Essentially, to make it a command script as universal as a basic unix command like ls or cd. Thanks for the help! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axeldrummer
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question
pci_error_tolerance_time(5)					File Formats Manual				       pci_error_tolerance_time(5)

NAME
pci_error_tolerance_time - time interval, in minutes, between two PCI errors at a I/O slot that will result in automatic PCI Error Recovery VALUES
Default Allowed values (disabled) or non-zero (enabled) Recommended values DESCRIPTION
is a dynamic tunable that corresponds to time interval in minutes. It determines whether an automatic PCI Error Recovery should be initi- ated or not between two PCI errors occurring at an I/O slot. If two PCI errors occur at a slot within this specified time interval, the PCI card in the slot will be suspended and a manual PCI Error Recovery operation will have to be performed to make the card functional. Refer to the section of the olrad(1M) manpage for more details regarding the manual PCI Error Recovery operation. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? System administrators can change the value of based on the frequency of PCI errors seen in the system. Restrictions on Changing None. This tunable is dynamic. Changes to this tunable take effect immediately. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
olrad(1M). available under the section at Tunable Kernel Parameters pci_error_tolerance_time(5)