HP-UX / Tape Library Communication Problems

Operating Systems HP-UX HP-UX / Tape Library Communication Problems
# 1  
Old 06-10-2005
HP-UX / Tape Library Communication Problems

Hi All,

Hoping that you'll be able to help out on - I've a problem occuring in our backups that's driving me up the wall.

I've got an HP-UX Visualise 6500 as below:

================================
root # uname -a
HP-UX <NAME> B.11.00 A 9000/785 2005956095 two-user license
==============================

which connects via HP's Omniback (now known as Data Protector) to our tape library.

The current issue is that although I'm making sure that the drives are empty and ready for data transfer.... (below):-

=================================
<NAME>:root # mc -r D
DT_slot_1 EMPTY
DT_slot_2 EMPTY
DT_slot_3 EMPTY
DT_slot_4 EMPTY
===========================

...the backups themselves are showing in a Queued status in the Omniback GUI on the server...:-
===========================

(Error Message): Not enough licenses "Single Drive for UNIX / mixed SAN".
Session is waiting for some of devices to get free.
==============================

The main concern is that once I've removed the tapes from the drives there's no resumption of the backup which means that rather than them completing overnight they're required to be rerun during the day impacting on the Network etc. (This becomes particularly fun on Monday morning after the weekend!)

Alternately, the other workaround appears to be Aborting and then Restarting the failed sessions but again that requires manual intervention and ovenight monitoring.

I've already checked:
Interfaces between the 2 devices and they seem to be communicating properly
Directories in /opt/omni/lbin for any licensing conflicts but can't find any
Physical connections

but feel free to suggest anything I may have missed, as I'm now at a bit of a loss.

I'd appreciate any suggestions that anyone may have (and to answer the most obvious one, yes, - we ARE getting a new backup solution in the next couple of months), but I'd really like to figure out why this is happening!

(MODS - Not sure if this is a genuine "UNIX question" or an Application/GUI issue but I'm at the end of my tether with this and would appreciate any help, but let me know if it's an inappropriate thread and I'll bother someone else instead!)

Thanks for your help.

G
# 2  
Old 06-10-2005
I don't use omniback so I can't help you. But this is a perfectly appropriate question for this forum. I don't like recommending another forum, but I'll make an exception and suggest that also post your question to http://forums.itrc.hp.com/ since it has the largest collect of omniback experts of any forum.
# 3  
Old 06-11-2005
Bug

Hi Perderabo ,

Many Thanks for the recommendation - I'll have a look over there as well.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX 7.1 cannot discover drives from TS3310 tape library

Good day! Need help in checking my AIX 7.1 box. After we have finished zoning our TS3200 and TS3310 tape libraries, we installed the Atape driver, # lslpp -L |grep tape Atape.driver 11.7.7.0 C F IBM AIX Enhanced Tape and devices.fcp.tape.rte 7.1.3.15 C ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alainken3
0 Replies

2. Solaris

SL24 tape library connection.

hi all please tell me how can i connect SunFire V240 to a SL24 tape library. is there any slots which i can connect? can i connect through SCSI port? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Connecting an array and a tape library

I am a solaris noob. I have a SPARC enterprise T5120 server which i am trying to connect 1 StorEdge 3300 and 1 StorageWorks MSL2024 tape library. Each device is connecting to 1 pci card on the server. I can see the array when i run the format command but i can't seem to detect the tape library. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: M_Owen
2 Replies

4. AIX

AIX 5.3 & Veritas Backup with Tape Library

hello, I am facing this problem when trying to prepare AIX 5.3 for Veritas Backup: Veritas Software is not able to communicate properly with our tape library When we tried to run these commands here's the output # cfgmgr -l fscsi0 # cfgmgr -l fscsi2 # cfgmgr -l fscsi1 cfgmgr:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Configuration issue with Tape Library in Solaris 10

Env: Server : Sparc Ultra-80 OS: Solaris 10 Direct SCSI connection to Library. Terminator connected at the Tape End. Problem: Unable to see any device file related to Robotic /dev/rsst0. Unable to see any device file /dev/rmt. ------------ Messages while the machine boots sst0: No... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amqstam
3 Replies

6. AIX

communication problems

hello i'v two aix servers 4.3. last night the goes down becuse electrical f problems. when the servers comes up i've notice that file /unix is gone. i've fix it and the problem fixed. after few hours the same crash becuse elctrical problems. file /unix is there , but now i've a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariec
0 Replies

7. Solaris

C4 tape library

Hi all , Anybody has an installation manual for Sun StorageTek C4 tape library . i am trying to do the installation on a Sun Fire V245 . Thanks a million cheers ppass (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppass
4 Replies

8. AIX

Tape Library on Aix

I am having my 14 Aix 5.3 servers on bladecenters connected with my Tape Library. I had a backup scheduled on tape library but after taking backup successfully, Now, Question 1:- I wanted to restore backup but tape library could not recognize the tape and I get I/O error in TSM. I think it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shrek
0 Replies

9. AIX

Tape Library 3583

Hello every body, I have one tape library 3583 but I can't install this some body have ben installed?? when I tray to install it, the output is the next: Method error (/etc/methods/cfgAtape): 0514-022 The specified connection is not valid. some Idea?? thanks greetings (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xanatos
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ATL L200 Tape Library and Solaris

I picked up this library but I cannot get the device to actuate. How do I make this work with Solaris 7? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: n9ninchd
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question