Illegal characters in Servername / Path

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Illegal characters in Servername / Path
# 1  
Old 07-20-2007
Illegal characters in Servername / Path

Hi there.

I wonder if anybody can help me. I am very new to this and a bit out of my depth.

I have a .cmd file which sets various environmental variables for me.

When I input a server name that does not contains dots (.) in the name it works fine. As soon as I place in a server name containing dots it fails.

Below is an example of what I mean.

$ENV{'PD_IFORMS'} = '\\\\myservername\\AAA\\BBB\\CCC\\';

$ENV{'PD_IFORMS'} = '\\\\my.server.name\\AAA\\BBB\\CCC\\';

Does anybody know if I can change the line to use an ASCII character for example?

I hope I have posted this in the right area. Please let me know if this should be moved to the 'Perl / Scripting' area, although I have no idea how to move it ;-)

Many Thanks

Last edited by goodjuju; 07-20-2007 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: addition
# 2  
Old 07-20-2007
The dot is a meta character, and as such has to be escaped.
Use \.
# 3  
Old 07-20-2007
jgt,

Thanks for your response.

Do you mean that I could place

$ENV{'PD_IFORMS'} = '\\\\my\.server\.name\\AAA\\BBB\\CCC\\';

in my file to get it to work?

I only ask as I have tried this with no luck.

Thanks
# 4  
Old 07-20-2007
With both Samba and Visionfs you can substitute / for \ in the server name, so that :
$ENV{'PD_IFORMS'} = '//my.server.name/AAA/BBB/CCC/';
# 5  
Old 07-20-2007
I thought that I had sent another reply about 2 hours ago, but it seems to be lost so:

Terminal type is ansi
# x="\0134\0134server.name\0134device"
# echo $x
\\server.name\device
# 6  
Old 07-23-2007
JGT,

Thanks again for your response, however it does not seem to make sense to me. Maybe I am just being dim.

Is there another character I can use to replace the full-stop (period .) in my server name.

My $ENV is in a .cmd file (perl) which is used to start an application. If I use the servername containing full stops, the application will not launch.

Thanks again for any help you can offer.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command to see the logical volume path, device mapper path and its corresponding dm device path

Currently I am using this laborious command lvdisplay | awk '/LV Path/ {p=$3} /LV Name/ {n=$3} /VG Name/ {v=$3} /Block device/ {d=$3; sub(".*:", "/dev/dm-", d); printf "%s\t%s\t%s\n", p, "/dev/mapper/"v"-"n, d}' Would like to know if there is any shorter method to get this mapping of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex to identify illegal characters in a perso-arabic database

I am working on Sindhi: a perso-Arabic script and since it shares the Unicode-block with over 400 other languages, quite often the database contains characters which are not wanted: illegal characters. I have identified the character set of Sindhi which is given below: For clarity's sake, each... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
8 Replies

3. Solaris

Illegal Instruction error

I keep getting a Illegal instruction error when running my MCP file below is the dump error message followed by truss log, dose anyone have any ideas? /opt/builds/bin/core: ELF 32-bit MSB core file SPARC Version 1, from 'mcp' *** Select Close or Exit from the window menu to close this window... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wpgn
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

stat -c illegal option

I'm trying to get the size of each file, but when I try to use stat -c %s <file> I get the message stat: illegal option -- c Also, the man page for stat shows readlink,stat. It doesn't seem to match the man pages I've seen online. what is going on here? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nextyoyoma
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NFS server <servername> not responding still trying

Hi gurus, OS = SunOS 5.8 Not sure whether to post this in the scripting one or to advance and experts. Am posting on both since there is two things that am wanting to achieve. Am currerntly having NFS server errors below. At this stage, I am not sure whether I am having a SAN storage issue... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

pbrun ssh -l servername

Hi, Can you plz help me in the below command! what is the pbrun command does with ssh pbrun ssh -l servername (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lnviyyapu
0 Replies

7. Web Development

servername in apache httpd.conf

I'd like to know if servername in apache httpd.conf is the machine name or domain name. If it is domain name like example.com, should it be registered before in use? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yzhang738
1 Replies

8. IP Networking

Illegal network activity

Hi, I have a wireless router connecting both windows and linux systems at home. I've discovered someone has been downloading illegal content on my network simply because they accidentally left the torrent downloader on their screen when showing me something. I removed their access for a few days... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neil999
1 Replies

9. Solaris

/etc/security/audit/SERVERNAME/files

What files are in this directory? Are they files that tell you what events have been performed on the system for the day? Also, I am searching in one of these files for a Permission Denied entry. How do I go about searching for this entry in these files if they are so huge and cannot display on my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jastanle84
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Illegal instruction(coredump)

Hi I am trying to execute a simple grep command looking for records in a filename that start with 01 (grep ^01 filename) and am getting the error Illegal instruction(coredump). Has anyone any idea why this happens? Is it due to the file being corrupted? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: colinmas
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question