Can v240 disks be moved to v440 and have a chance of working?

Operating Systems Solaris Can v240 disks be moved to v440 and have a chance of working?
# 1  
Old 09-05-2012
Can v240 disks be moved to v440 and have a chance of working?

We have a v240 running Solaris 10, and an application that I don't want to go through the pain of reinstalling on a new system right now.

Can I just move those disks to a v440 for an easy upgrade?

At first I thought the idea was laughable, but then I started thinking that they are both Ultra Sparc III, and it might be possible.

Any thoughts (or even laughs) are appreciated. Thanks...Lyle
# 2  
Old 09-05-2012
Can you NFS mount the disks on the v240 onto the v440? Sooner or later that v240 will have to go away, but it buys you time.

I do not know, but assuming the disks are formatted to ufs filesystems, I do know that back in the 90's you could move disks between some different Sparcstations. The only issues were between different versions of ufs. Don't know about ZFS, or disk controllers.

The easy way would be to backup and restore to the new system. Assuming licensure will still work.
# 3  
Old 09-05-2012
You could try to migrate the Solaris 10 server to the anther Solaris 10 or 11 server as a zone. If the application is already in a zone it should be even easier.
# 4  
Old 09-05-2012
Thanks for the reply, Jim.

The issue is really wanting to preserve applications, libraries, etc that are already installed, and avoid reinstalling (assuming I could even find them) on a fresh Solaris disk.

Licensing may be an issue on a different machine. But I too remember being able to move disks between different Sun machines in the same class.

Of course, if bus structure or controllers are different, it's not going to work. But I thought a v240 and v440 might be close enough.

Any more thoughts from the Community? Thanks....Lyle
# 5  
Old 09-05-2012
# 6  
Old 09-05-2012
Disks are using the same interface and technology so would be pluggable on the new system. If they are the system disks, I wouldn't bet they successfully boot on the v440 though without some tweaking.

As an alternative, you should consider flash archives which are designed to clone a system to another.
# 7  
Old 09-06-2012
Just swapping the disks from one platform to the other won't boot but it can be made to work with a bit of engineering, ie, booting single user and editing files on your hard disk filesystem.

The platforms are different so:

Your network interfaces will be different hardware
Your disk controllers will be different and resulting devices (c0t0d0, etc) will be different (this one prevents booting even with errors).

Stuff like vfstab, system file, bootblock, (filesystem) device names, will need sorting running under single user, followed by a boot -r to reconfigure everything (to get Solaris to do the rest of the work!!)

Here's a thread that was started by a member going the other way (by restoring his V440 ufsdumps to a V240) which I subscribed to in helping to sort the issues.............

Restore a server from a ufsdump

Hope that helps.

Last edited by hicksd8; 09-06-2012 at 07:31 AM..
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Sun Fire 480 - devfsadm -C not working after replacing one of the boot disks

Our SunFire 480 - one of the boot disks failed. It is mirrored with VxVm. I followed the exact steps that is detailed in the veritas and sun guides (I can not post the URL since I don't have 5 posts yet.) After removing the failed disk, I ran devfsadm -C -c disk and it still shows the device... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtamminen
7 Replies

2. Programming

How to make C++ give me a chance to inter a number while excuting?

Iam Trying to simulate a hardware "pci" by visual c++ program..... " i don't have the hardware right now so i want to test my program" the hardware is about to inter a number for example from switches compare it to other number also from switches.."which iam gonna take it from 1 textbox"... 1-... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Hot swapping disks on V240 - blue light not lit after cfgadm -c unconfigure

Hot swapping a drive on V240. So, I do cfgadm -c unconfigure <disk>. Then cfgadm -al reports disk as unconfigured as expected. format then tells me there is no disk. BUT, blue light does not come on. Done the exact same command on my V440 and blue light does come on. V240 Server Admin... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
0 Replies

4. Solaris

How to get spare disks working

Dears how can i make this spare disks working online to replace a defective disks vxdisk list DEVICE TYPE DISK GROUP STATUS c0t10d0s2 sliced - - error c0t11d0s2 sliced disk08 rootdg online c1t16d0s2 sliced ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

no chance to input passwd when create new user in loop

Hi Dears, I have one script to create new users with information in one plain text file. This script will read all lines in the file and create one users for one line. Sample file: #action;login,full name title,expire date,project +;gmwen,Bruce Wen QA,04/01/2012,BT +;xxdeng,Shown Deng... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crest.boy
4 Replies

6. Solaris

migrate complete OS from v240 to v440

We are concluding development of a new application on a v240 and would like to migrate the entire Solaris10 OS on the v240 to a v440 that is currently live with Solaris 9. The steps outlined in my head are as follows: 1) Flash archive the v440 and v240 and store the flar file on a different... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question