Best performance UNIX just for HOST Virtualization?

Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Best performance UNIX just for HOST Virtualization?
# 1  
Old 01-24-2018
Question Best performance UNIX just for HOST Virtualization?

Hi everybody,
Which Unix base OS have best performance for HOST virtualization?
I tested SmartOS but it needs another OS to connect remotely!
Thanks in advance.
# 2  
Old 01-24-2018
Hi,

That's a very open-ended question without a clear answer. As always, it depends almost entirely on what exactly you're going to be doing, on your workload, on the OS your guests will be running, and a wide variety of other things.

For my part, speaking purely personally, I've found OpenVZ to offer excellent performance. It's a Linux-based container environment, where the host runs a modified kernel and the containers on the host depend on and inherit an instance of that modified kernel as their own. They therefore must be running Linux, but can be running a different Linux distribution from the host.

The very latest versions of OpenVZ allow for fully-isolated virtual machines, and so support running Windows guests too. Historically, it's been Linux-only however, with a separate and mostly architecturally unrelated Windows offering that's since been discontinued. There is a commercially supported version called Virtuozzo that comes with nice GUI management tools, with OpenVZ being the free and unsupported version. If you're familiar with Linux, think OpenVZ==CentOS and Virtuozzo==RHEL and you basically get the relationship between the two.

One thing I'm curious about: I'd been thinking about looking at SmartOS for some things myself. What do you mean when you say you need a remote OS for it ? As far as I understood things it's basically SunOS underneath, and boots off of a USB key and thereafter offers local utilities to download, install and manage images. External management systems like Chef, Puppet etc. are compatible with it, but are optional, as I understand things anyway.
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to drysdalk For This Post:
# 3  
Old 01-25-2018
Thanks for your Hints, Dear drystalk,
As you said, OpenVZ is best sellection for High perfomance virtualization but did not support Windows OS!
I have a General Desktop PC (CoreI3+8G ram) and need to virualize some OSes like Linux, Windows, OpenBSD as guest OS with best performance.
# 4  
Old 01-25-2018
Hi,

I think OpenVZ 7 (the latest release) does support Windows, though only running in a KVM VM and not in a container. OpenVZ 7 added the option to create VMs that was previously only available in Virtuozzo, and so you can create containers for Linux guests and VMs for all non-Linux guests on OpenVZ 7 (or you should be able to at least, according to the documentation I can see). So if you're familiar with OpenVZ, then OpenVZ 7 is probably the best way to go, since you can use both containers and full-blown real VMs on the same host.

However, if the issue here is that you are actually wanting to make day-to-day use of your own PC whilst being able to run containers and VMs on it (which I think might be what your comments about SmartOS imply), then your options are a bit more limited. Things like OpenVZ/SmartOS/ESX are meant to run on a dedicated server that does nothing but host containers and VMs. You then connect remotely to those containers and VMs to use them in whatever way you see fit (SSH, rdesktop, etc), and can also connect remotely to the hardware node to manage it.

If you're looking to be setting up VMs or containers on your own PC, then running a normal desktop-oriented Linux distro locally and using KVM/QEMU to run VMs on it might be a good way forward. Similarly you could run Windows 10 or Windows Server locally and add the Hyper-V role, and create VMs that way whilst still having a usable "real" desktop OS too. Or just use VirtualBox or something like that if your needs are simpler.
# 5  
Old 01-25-2018
This is the old Chevy vs. Ford argument. Not to be rude, but really, this isn't the most constructive question. I can understand wanting some help picking your Linux, but the truth is there are many great distros to choose from, and there is no one that is the best for everyone using it for virtualizing servers or anything else.

There is a certain distro I am partial to, but when I read about why people prefer certain other distros, I always am impressed by the good reasons they have. I believe there is no correct answer to your question.

I think those disclaimers are important, but now I am going to tell you why I run Debian virtual machines. Debian came to me as rumor. same as God, Heaven, and Hell. People seemed to say Debian was really stable. I started with another distro and that is how I found out what people mean by "Debian is really stable." At first I thought I wanted something more cutting edge.

Let me tell you what I like most when it comes to my servers: forget about them I want then always on and running like electricity. Every second I have to put into making my server work is a second I could devote instead ti a task that makes me money. No one pays me to run my servers. They pay me to make the software I make on my servers.

You know how system updates have habit of breaking stuff? Debian doesn't do that. I really like it when my plans for a day are not cancelled because something gone wrong with my server that I have to deal with instead.

As far as I am concerned there is nothing Debian cannot do that any system can do. it always does it great. There is a big number of other distros that are based Debian. I think the way it works is they take Debian and do stuff to it then release it. I guess those other distros have features doesn't have, but I have no idea what they are.I have come to love stability and someone will correct me if I am wrong, but Debian is a gold standard for stability. Debian is the source.I don't really know, but I think Debian might be the best software ever. Debian is the only software I ever worked with that always impresses me and never disappoints. I only use Debian as VMs hosted on a computer available to me for hosting. The host does not matter Debian matters. I do not use Debian desktop software yet.

So there you have it, my dumb answer to your ____ question. I hope it helps.
This User Gave Thanks to danallen For This Post:
# 6  
Old 01-25-2018
I'm not disagreeing with you, per se, but your claim that "updates have habit of breaking stuff? Debian doesn't do that." seems about as, how did you put it, constructive, as the question.

I'd always recommend CentOS or RHEL, but it doesn't matter. What matters, is what has already been pointed out: there's really no right answer to this question. It's horses for courses: you pick an OS / distribution based on what you want it for. I've even stopped using VMs, for the most part, in favour of Docker containers as much of what I need them for is ephemeral in nature, and I don't need them clocking up my hard drive.
This User Gave Thanks to Scott For This Post:
# 7  
Old 01-25-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
I'm not disagreeing with you, per se, but your claim that "updates have habit of breaking stuff? Debian doesn't do that." seems about as, how did you put it, constructive, as the question.
debian based ubuntu / linux mint updates never broken anything up until linux mint 18.x, which simply doesn't run on my machine. Same with Fedora25, a big frustrating update hell. Since Fedora 26 everything is fine, very fine, excellente! I remember that suse minor release updates never worked, and even major releases left a broken system.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Virt-install: ERROR Host does not support any virtualization

Hello guys! First of all sorry about my english. I am using KVM to virtualizate. But when i run the virt-install command, it shows the next error: ERROR Host does not support any virtualization options.My server had virtualisation extensions enabled in the bios. It is my first time using... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: morrison71
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Virtualization of Global Namespace in UNIX

Hi all, I have a small Question here in Unix File System.I am unable to get a proper answer in Internet. Hope someone can get back to me soon. A Unix file system can mount filesystem of several disk partitions to form a single global space. Suppose that you wish to virtualize this global... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pavan Kumar
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

Red Hat and Intel: Smart processors, virtualization boost efficiency and performance

On Monday March 30, Intel announced the availability of their much anticipated new line of processors, the Intel® Xeon® Processor 5500 series–nicknamed Nehalem. Red Hat, a long-time partner of the market-leading chip maker , collaborated on the chip’s debut, testing and optimizing the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

4. Solaris

ILOM to unix host

Hello- On Solaris 10g x86 - I had two IP addresses , one for unix host (connecting through putty) and one for ILOM (connecting through CLI and web). I had to perform some changes in FS sizes etc, did that on unix host and executed command 'init 6' remotely for them to take place. But, the unix host... (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
30 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question