For the Admins, rouge advert(s)...

Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators For the Admins, rouge advert(s)...
# 1  
Old 07-21-2016
For the Admins, rouge advert(s)...

Hi guys this problem exists on all my machines...
Windows 8.1, Ubuntu, iMac and this MBP.
All use fireFox, latest current version.

If I log in there is NOT a problem.

I usually enter this site as an outsider and I have noticed that there is some rouge code and/or advert that slows the machines down to almost stop.

I thought it was malware but it occurs only from this site.
I would have expected any malware to affect facebook and other memory/disk hungry apps but everything works as it should.

Before sending this I tried my mum's Windows Vista, running current FireFox, machine, today 21st July 2016, 12:15pm UK local time, and it is still present...

To me it looks like video style advert overload and even with mum's BT-Infinity broadband the machine is unable to cope after several clicks onto different questions.

Remember that most people that need WWW unix searches get steered to here often and if this situation is affecting me it will affect them too.
# 2  
Old 07-24-2016
Need screenshots of ads and location (country).

Thanks.
# 3  
Old 07-24-2016
Hi,

I'm not an admin on this site but I'll answer anyway (especially as you're in the UK, the same environment as me).

We all know that if you log in that you get no ads so it will be quicker. However, without logging in performance should still be acceptable.

I think you need to investigate and look for a common problem amongst your systems.

Does it make a difference if you switch off your AV? Which AV do you use?

I had a major performance issue sometime ago which turned out to be caused by end point protection software (IBM Trusteer Rapport) recommended by my bank for online banking. I had not updated the package for some considerable time and I found that switching it off made one hell of a difference. I contacted Rapport support and they sent me a link and told me to install from there. That fixed it.

Also, what about any anti-spyware you use? Try it with that switched off too.

For whatever reason (search Google for this one) I've had Chrome slug my machine even though I don't use it much. Uninstalling that fixed a load of issues.

Do you have any software running on your web gateway/router that would affect all your machines?

My money is on that perhaps you have some protection software running which, when video ads are downloading, asks "what the hell is that?" and uses all your CPU cycles to try and find out.

Last edited by hicksd8; 07-24-2016 at 12:15 PM..
# 4  
Old 07-24-2016
Yeah, I visit the site all the time without logging in. The ads are set up to load synchronously (independently) from the site content. therefore ads should not effect site load time, and that is my experience.

However, third-party ads might contain flash or video or something that your browser is filtering, and this can cause your machine (browser) to behave strangely.

Like I mentioned, I look at the site every day with and without ads and never see a problem; but I don't run any "filters" or "ad blockers" etc. and I mostly only use Chrome now as FF with all those extensions and plugins just slow down everything.

However, if there is any ad which anyone finds is a problem (or offensive), please take a screenshot (or try to find out the ad source and advertiser and we will try to block it).

Thanks.
# 5  
Old 07-24-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by hicksd8
Hi,
Does it make a difference if you switch off your AV? Which AV do you use?
Don't have anti-virus on any machine.

Quote:
Also, what about any anti-spyware you use? Try it with that switched off too.
Again none an any machine.

Quote:
Do you have any software running on your web gateway/router that would affect all your machines?
None!

That does not answer why my mum's machine suffers it in the different town in the UK.

The only comon factor is Firefox and all are the latest incarnation.

I'll take a look at Neo's latest post, but earlier today I didn't suffer the problem, and didn't just before posting this whilst not logged in...

I'll try Safari on this machine and see what happens, I never use it as a rule...
# 6  
Old 07-25-2016
Maybe try Chrome. FF is not like it used to be. Chrome is much better in my experience.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

Thank you members and admins

Got a raise and a formal position of 'unix system engineer' in 2016. I would like to thank you members and admins. This would not be possible without you. I will mention some.. Thank you Don, for making me learn and understand the importance of standards, which i try to apply as much as i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peasant
3 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

PEPSI MAX'S 2010 ADVERT.

What do you think about this Ad? O-XZk0yxCzc YouTube - PEPSI MAX'S 2010 FOOTBALL ADVERT FT AKON'S 'OH AFRICA' (FEATURE LENGTH) I can't stop watching it, it is entertaining... What is your best Advert. in 2010??? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcomex999
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rouge process wiping files from a directory

I'm hoping you guys (the experts) can help me. We have a sweep directory (/opt/application/sweep) critical to our application process. The application will lay down a file in that directory, then about 15 seconds later a post process will come along and pick that file up and continue processing.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedrict
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Any sys admins from uk?

Hello Guys, im new to this forum. Im from UK and ive recently completed my SCSA I & II and also got trained in Veritas Suite (Veritas Volume Manager and Veritas Clusters, Veritas NetBackup), SAN Configuration. I was trying to get a break as a junior sun solaris admin. I am applying for the jobs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megadeth
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rouge processes

Often when i do a ps -ef |grep user there are sh processes however the users are not actually logged in. Does any one know what i could do to automatically kill off these processes. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: namtab
1 Replies

6. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Admins >

Just wanted to say great website and thank you... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question