Network interface goes down intermittently

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Network interface goes down intermittently
# 1  
Old 10-08-2009
Network interface goes down intermittently

Hi all,
I'm using an HP Proliant server with double NIC and Debian 5 (Lenny) as its OS. I used link bonding on it for several years with no problem.
Today, (now only one interface connected to switch) the interface went down. I restarted networking service (/etc/init.d/networking restart) and everything seemed to be OK; but after a while it went down and needed more restart.

Here is my /etc/network/interfaces:
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet static
        #It's not my real IP address
        address X.Y.Z.3
        netmask 255.255.254.0
        #It's not my real MAC address
        hwaddress ether A:B:C:D:E:F
        #It's not my real gateway address
        gateway X.Y.Z.1
        up ifenslave bond0 eth0 eth1
        down ifenslave -d bond0 eth0 eth1

auto bond0:0
iface bond0:0 inet static
        address 192.168.168.3
        netmask 255.255.255.0

I checked /var/log/messages, /var/log/syslog but didn't find any error.
Can some one suggest any solution for the problem?
Thanks in advance.
# 2  
Old 10-08-2009
how many systems are connected to your network?
# 3  
Old 10-09-2009
A lot! In some times more than 400 PCs & servers.
I've 2 other servers which work fine but 2 of my servers have this problem.
# 4  
Old 10-09-2009
If nothing has changed in your network or software, then I would suspect the NICs are starting to fail.
# 5  
Old 10-09-2009
I have 2 servers with this problem. I don't think that the problem is from my NICs.
In fact, I added a "broadcast" line in my configuration and then removed it. But the problem remained.
# 6  
Old 10-09-2009
I would take fpmurphy's suggestion and swap them out with a known good the next time they go down. I would also check your logs and see if you see anything in there.
# 7  
Old 10-13-2009
I disconnected cable from etch0 interface and everything became OK! But I think there shouldn't be a hardware problem. Because:

1- My 2 servers faced this problem concurrently! Interface eth0 of both of them became faulty! I've another servers without any problem.

2- Link bonding didn't detect the faulty interface and so didn't change the use of healthy interface.

This is the content of my /etc/modprobe.d/aliases file:
Code:
options bonding mode=1 miimon=100

Last edited by mjdousti; 10-14-2009 at 02:12 AM..
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding a network interface to a bonded interface

I have a RHEL 5 system with a bonded interface configure using only one network port (eth0). So I have config file for ifcfg-bond0 and ifcfg-eth. I'd like to configure eth5 to be the second SLAVE in the bond. My question is, after I modify ifcfg-eth5, can I add eth5 to the bond0 interface without... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: westmoreland
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Rename network interface

Hi all, I'm new here and looking for some help. I'm looking for the way to rename the network interfaces for Solaris 10. Got a server with 2 network cards (say "igb0" and "igb1") and there were some reasons that I have to swap the pci slots for those cards. However, after I did that, Solaris 10... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbq9
3 Replies

3. Solaris

No network cable But Network interface is UP and Running

I've one Netra 240 After changing main board and system configuration card reader, Network is not accessible any more, Network interfaces are always UP and Running even when there is no cable connected to Network interfaces. I tried to restart and plumb/unplumb with no luck. ifconfig -a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samer.odeh
7 Replies

4. IP Networking

network interface -

Hello, Please, how can i create a network interface with a routable IP address on linux (ubuntu) ? AND How can i desactivate an interface? Thank you so much for help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chercheur857
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

Network interface-

Hello, Please what's the difference between: AND Thank you so much (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur857
3 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Access to network interface (Mac-network)

Hi, I'm a italian student. For my thesis I develop a gateway with protocol 6lowpan. For that I must access to network interface to develope my personal stack based on standard 802.15.4. Can you help me? I need an explanation for that. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: berny88
0 Replies

7. Solaris

configure zones to have different network interface and network

i need to configure a zone to use different interface (bge2) than global and have connected to completely different network switch & to use its own defaultrouter and hosts file .. is it possible ..if so ..how ? Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
9 Replies

8. Solaris

Network interface issue

Hi All, I want to configure network into my system. i tried following in to configure the interface to find the name of interface #prtdiag |grep net i got following 0 PCI-1 33 1 network-SUNW, hme then i tried following #prtconf -v |grep net network, instance #0 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
6 Replies

9. Gentoo

Turning on/off the network interface

Hi all, I'm trying to write a script that will turn off the network interface eth0 on a linux Gentoo machine and then turn it back on, any help? Thanks, Neked (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neked
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network Interface

Hi ! Does anyone know how can i get information about my network interface ... if it works in half or full duplex mode !! Thx in adivance ! Witt (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: witt
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question