Development of Unix

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Development of Unix
# 1  
Old 09-05-2008
Development of Unix

I was thinking about pros and cons of unix and about comparison Unix shell (bash) and unix commands with Windows PowerShell and its commands. I just would like to hear what do you mean about:

1. Aren't options of unix commands too much confusing? Why are not standardized in a way that it's "easy" to guess what option one need. It seems to me that unix scripting is a thing where you can "enjoy yourself" but you have to be still worried about type of distribution and so on - isn't it actually drawback?

2. I've tried Windows PowerShell and I was quite surprised about power of the shell and that the authors tended to use quite similar syntax and similar names of commands (tee command). On the other hand if you want to change the wallpaper you pretty much need to know how to do that - so it's quite complicated what matters "system settings". What do you mean?

I'm just curious what do think people who do with unix daily.. I just study unix for an exam and use windows normally so I can't properly judge the advantages and disadvantages of unix..

Thank you!
# 2  
Old 09-06-2008
For a start windows runs only on one type of processor or its clones...
have you seen winXX running on pa-risc, motorola 68XXX, or power-pc etc..?

windows is one OS, *x are many OS that have many common things... have you tried to execute a win batch on an unix? it fails... and how much work is involved to porting?
a *.sh on any unix platform should run with minimum of adaptation...
# 3  
Old 09-06-2008
@vbe: Well, sure, but I was talking more about shell commands.. about the interface
# 4  
Old 09-06-2008
What you are really talking about is the learning curve.
# 5  
Old 09-06-2008
2jim: well, partly too, yes
# 6  
Old 09-06-2008
Windows developed Powershell as a response to developers installing linux or cygwin (free unix that runs under windows) in order to be able to manipulate text and files easily. There used to be a windows toolset that was a port of basic unix tools.

The reason is that every OS has good and bad points. You choose what you want to live with.

Those windows add-ons are there to get past windows deficiencies. The java virtual machine is a classic example. Linux Gnome and UNIX Xwindows, etc., behave very much like MS windows and are later add-ons in the same sense - in this case getting past user interface issues in UNIX. UNIX did not have MS-like windowing software to start with.

And these are just the user interface issues. And functionality.

There are a lot of very important issues with Windows and security for example. My company interfaces with the internet only via UNIX/Apache Tomcat, a firewall, NAT, etc. because putting a Windows 2003 server out there was not a safe idea. UNIX is cheaper and probably easier to harden.

Windows was and is primarily a single user OS, UNIX is multiuser. This gives rise to features and problems as well.

This whole discussion is analogous to: which is a better motorcar: Mercedes-Benz or BMW? It boils down to personal opinion and experience. There are other threads like this - what is you favorite <fill in the blank>. There really isn't much content in threads like this one. And they tend to start flame wars.
# 7  
Old 09-06-2008
@jim: thank you for your viewpoint ;-)

> This whole discussion is analogous to: ...
I know but you won't persuade me it's not worthy to ask it ... Smilie

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

UNIX Utility Development Conventions?

I'm slowly hacking away at a zsh script that shows some promise as a command line tool. I want to learn more about the conventions regarding command line tool development in Unix (and/or macOS), but don't really know where to look for this information. What is the correct way, or convention, to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MonilGomes
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching from production to development envirornment in UNIX

I had a unix scripts in prod. I need to made changes in those scripts which I don't have the edit access. I need to move those scripts from prod to dev to edit. Please tell me how to switch from production to development, So that I can made changes in dev and again move those scripts to Prod. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeswararao
3 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

UNIX Admin rail roaded to be java/jboss guy for development

Any Unix Admins out there who were tasked with upgrading and maintaining java/jboss installs and possibly related apps? How did it work out? Any tools to allow developers to tweak their java settings, like a console? I just started looking into this, if anyone has experience I'd appreciate... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: allenhibbert
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

scope of oracle plsql development /unix shell scripting

I am working in production support in an leading bank and more of my job is more in oracle/plsql. I am learning unix shell scripting and have started development in the same.I would like to know regarding the scope of these two in the industry.Also would like to know about other scripting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jesthomas
2 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Move From Unix Administration to Development???

Hi Guys, I am into unix administration past few years, i am interested in development, Purely from the Job Market View, should i shift from administration and move to development, will it reduce the options i have (i mean not many companies are into development) Suggestions/Opinions ??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpdevul
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best development language to monitor the unix server

Hi, I am supposed to create the website to perform some monitoring and management activities on unix server. Activities includes cpu usage,displays currently runing processes,deleting files on the server and so on. Please tell which is best web based language(.net or java) to develop... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: S_venkatesh
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between development and Production unix servers for a application??

Hi all I am running a major script of my application in development for implementing code changes for process improvement in time. The script runs in production once in a month . It takes 8 hours 30 mins in Production server . what surprice me is , when I run the same script in development server... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help !....pls i require All n Everything About Unix -History,Development..evrthg

i need to know abt Unix Development,History,Features n Everything..... :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shank
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix Serial Driver Development

Hi Friends, I have an immediate requiement to develop a virtual serial communication driver for UNIX based system. The driver should be able to receive all the data, transmitted through the serial port. My goal is to get all the data transmitted through the serial port, do some modification in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: santhoshac
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question