How to increment version inside a file?

Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to increment version inside a file?
# 1  
Old 04-04-2018
How to increment version inside a file?

Hi All,

I need to write a shell script which opens a file and increments the version(text) within the file every time the script runs. For example:

Code:
[user@server]$ cat docker_file.yml

version: '3.1'
services:
  ui:
    image: repo-srv.dev.io:5000/facebook/ui:0.0.2-QA1

[user@server]$

So, I would like to update version: 3.1 to version: 3.2 and ui:0.0.2-QA1 to ui:0.0.3-QA1 every time docker_file.yml is opened.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by akshayupadhayay; 04-04-2018 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: grammer
# 2  
Old 04-04-2018
Is this a homework assignment? Homework and coursework questions can only be posted in the Homework & Coursework Questions forum under special homework rules.

Please review the rules, which you agreed to when you registered, if you have not already done so.

If you did post homework in the main forums, please review the guidelines for posting homework and repost.

If you did not post homework, please explain the company you work for and the nature of the problem you are working on, and tell us:
  1. What operating system are you using?
  2. What shell are you using?
  3. What have you tried to solve this problem on your own?
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:
# 3  
Old 04-04-2018
Don, what makes you think it's a school homework 😐😒😠. Your reply looks more like a school boy reply 😄. OS: CentOS 7, shell: bash.
Have I tried this on my own? Yes, and I found the way to solve it, but wanted to waste time of self and everyone on forum, so made a profile and posted it here. How silly.
# 4  
Old 04-05-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayupadhayay
Don, what makes you think it's a school homework 😐😒😠. Your reply looks more like a school boy reply 😄. OS: CentOS 7, shell: bash.
Have I tried this on my own? Yes, and I found the way to solve it, but wanted to waste time of self and everyone on forum, so made a profile and posted it here. How silly.
Hi akshayupadhayay,
How silly, indeed.

I asked you to explain what company you're working for and the nature of the problem if this is not a homework assignment because the problem you have presented looks more like a homework assignment than something that most people would need to do in a normal workplace setting. Your refusal to directly answer the question "Is this a homework assignment?", your refusal to show us what you have tired to solve this problem on your own, and your refusal to explain why you need to do this at all leads us to believe that this is a homework assignment rather than a legitimate work assignment.

This site is designed to help people who want to learn how to use the tools available on BSD, Linux, and UNIX systems to actually learn how to perform tasks like you have described in this thread on their own.

Creating a profile here does not mean that the volunteers who work on this site are here to act as your unpaid programming staff. If you are unwilling to show us that you have made an honest attempt to solve this problem on your own, there is little incentive for us to make any attempt show you the code we have written that seems to solve your problem for you.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:
# 5  
Old 04-05-2018
It is my first post on this forum, if you thought it lacked information to solve the issue and make it look legitimate, being an admin you should have directed me to add further info to support my case. Or simply reject the thread as it violates rules by insufficient information. Then I could have re-structured my question and posted again and learned to use the forum in better way going forward.

Also why on earth it matters to reveal your company name? You kind a looking for job opportunities ? First of a kind forum where admin wants to know your company name.

Your first answer was very kiddish and made me to post my question elsewhere (yes with more information, which I believe is true because original question lacks it).

Immaturity takes people to explore better forums.

Thanks 🙏🏻

---------- Post updated at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:13 AM ----------

Also I see so many thread or questions posted with very minimal information or kind of same way I posted my questions. But now I get it. Since I’m a new user and admins and moderators are busy in maintaining the decorum of forum, initially target newly registered users only. It’s Ok, happens on every other forum where admins don’t have much to do.
# 6  
Old 04-05-2018
This one increases the first version number:
(e. g. shows the changed file on screen. does not change the file)

Code:
perl -pe 's/(^version: .\d+\.)(\d+)(.)/$1.($2+1).$3/e;' docker_file.yml

Possibilites to learn

Last edited by stomp; 04-05-2018 at 09:34 AM..
# 7  
Old 04-05-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayupadhayay
It is my first post on this forum ...
akshayupadhayay,

This will be your last post here if you are going to post here with a combative attitude.

I reviewed Don's question to you about homework and your reply, and I find you could have simply answered his question in a professional way instead of posting all the wise cracks and anti-forum mod BS.

So, if you want to post here do not be a jerk to our mods,

If you want to be a jerk, then of course you can post elsewhere. This is a free forum with a steller reputation and if you want to come here and stir up trouble with our mods, I will ban you.

Our mods do a great job and they have plenty of things to do besides be abused from first time posters.

Thread closed.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy a file from directroy/ prior version to the directory/ new version

How to copy a file from directroy/ prior version to the directory/ new version automatically. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: roy1912
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to increment date using "for loop" in format MMDDYY inside the shell script?

Need to increment the date from "currentdate + 90days" inside the for loop (i=1 to i=50) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aroragaurav.84
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment value in text file

Hi Guys, I am new to shell programing, I have a csv file which has 50k records and I have got the requirement to increment the value in second column after each 5000 records. for example below A,B,C,D //Header 1,1,London,UK 1,1,Manchester,UK 1,1,Glasgow,UK . . . 1,1,Newyork,USA... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rizzu1555
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment Numbers in File

Hello, I have a text file withe some records 20121031|5 20121030|3 20121029|1 20121028|4 20121027|6 I want to search for a patten with '20121030' and then increment the second part of the delimiter i.e. 3 by 1 to make it 4 to look like 20121031|5 20121030|4 20121029|1 20121028|4... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pparthiv
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compressing all directories inside a directory and remove the uncompressed version

hi pls give me a script to compress all directories inside a directory and remove the original uncompressed version... >> please also tell the single commmand to uncompress all the directories back...whemn needed (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dll_fpga
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To increment the values from the file

Hi I have the file called "file.txt" which contains the following output $cat file.txt sandy <version>1</version> karen <version>2</version> Rob <version>3</version> peter <version>4</version> i want to write a command which will add the value 1 to the digits and show the output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidh_arth85
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File existence and increment

count=0; while read line; do ] && let count=count+1; done < file_name.txt echo echo "$count of 10 files found " echo The scenario is a follows : I have a file which contains a list of filenames present in particular directory . I am checking fo the existence of the file and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check file and increment

My scripts excepts 4 files ABCD_01 ABCD_02 ABCD_03 ABCD_04 I want to check for these files , and increment counter one by one . at the end i would like to echo as 4 of 4 expected instances of file found . I tried something like thsi $counter =1 if counter=counter+1 i need... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
5 Replies

9. AIX

checking the version revisions of a java file inside the ear using KSHELL in AIX.

consider on day1, in PVCS repository we have java files like a.java,b.java with version revision 1.0, through ANT build script we have compiled and created an ear,named c.ear in AIX build server.we have transfered this ear from build server to portal server through FTP using KSHELL. consider... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kareemaashik
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment userid in file

Hello, does anyone know how to increment a userid(number) written in any scripting language that works on a shell? For example: I have a HTML file in this format: userid: name: telephone: Every time I execute my script it adds the same fields, except with the userid incremented. Like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavu88
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question