X.org FreeBSD 5.3

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers X.org FreeBSD 5.3
# 1  
Old 11-09-2004
X.org screen freeze

Hi!

I have some problems with my X.org. The xdm starts without any problems and so does the wm. I'm using enlightenment and fluxbox. But when I start for example xterm it runs for a while and then the screen freeze. The computer is still running you can ssh to it and the mousecursor is moving. It doesnt change the look of the cursor though... The only thing I can do when it freeze is to press the powerbutton, the shutdown starts and turns off the computer. If I start Eterm the screen freeze instantly, sometimes even befor it writes the prompt...
I have looked at the .log and the ..conf files and I can't see what could possibly be wrong.
Related files can be found at:
www.barfly.se/freebsd/Xorg.log
www.barfly.se/freebsd/xorg.conf
www.barfly.se/freebsd/xdm.log

Please let me know if you have any suggestions where to start troubleshooting.

Best regards Peter Myllykosi

Last edited by Barfly.se; 11-10-2004 at 11:09 AM..
# 2  
Old 11-09-2004
What's this error in your xdm.log about?

Code:
Couldn't connect to PRNGD socket "/tmp/entropy": No such file or directory

Is this error related to the problem?
# 3  
Old 11-10-2004
I think that could have something to do with the error. Have googled it but didn´t get any wiser of that. It could have something to do with IPV6 but I'm not sure...
# 4  
Old 11-10-2004
Yes, I 'googled' the error message and it was inconclusive. I also saw the thread on a potential problem with IPv6 and the Linux kernal (related to this error message).
# 5  
Old 11-11-2004
Error Additional Info

Hi again! Smilie

I just wanted to give some adittional information. After installing some more programs I have noticed that for exampel Opera feels very stable while Firefox freezes the screen every now and then. Eterm as I mentioned earlier is hopeless while xterm seems to freeze the screen when running

#locate
#find
#pkg_info

commands that generates a lot of text in the window. Gimp is also a program that seems to bee very stable... I don't know if this is of any help or if it just makes it more confusing. Smilie

Best Regards Peter

Last edited by Barfly.se; 11-11-2004 at 05:09 PM..

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

Org Charts

Funny org charts for Apple, Google, Microsoft, Oracle, Amazon and Facebook. https://www.unix.com/picture.php?albumid=112&pictureid=613 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

2. Programming

Application crashes in FreeBSD 7.1 while working ok in FreeBSD 6.3

Hello there, My mulithreaded application (which is too large to represent the source code here) is crashing after installing FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE/amd64. It worked properly on others machines (Dual Cores with 4GB of RAM - FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE/i386). The current machine has 2x Core 2 Duo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Seenquev
1 Replies

3. Solaris

ayna org

İntel Script v5 Çok Yakında ..code/menu* (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilkerkarakoc
2 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

X.Org and XFree86

X.Org just released a new version of their X (X11R6.7). Besides Liscense stuff, what is better about X.org then XFree? What is better about XFree then X.org? Also: Will my fglrx (ATI) or nvidia drivers (designed for XFree86 4.3) work on X.org? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: punkrockguy318
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question