MySQL4 config messup on Suse9.1 How to reset?

Operating Systems Linux MySQL4 config messup on Suse9.1 How to reset?
# 1  
Old 10-01-2005
MySQL4 config messup on Suse9.1 How to reset?

I'm trying to run phpBB2 software on Apache2, all was fine with setups except I had no password protecting my database.

After researching how to do it, I attempted to set password "freddy" to root (for obvious reasons "freddy" isn't the actual pw I used).

I now can't login to MYSQL4 using root at all, I have to use "mysql -u freddy". Then I'm logged in as "freddy@localhost" but still with no password.

Logging is as root I get:-

# mysql -u root

ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

Logging in as "Freddy" I get:-

# mysql -u Freddy

Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 7 to server version: 4.1.14-standard

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.

mysql>

I've tried reinstalling MYSQL4, but the config data remains.

Could anyone help me remove the user "freddy" and add a password to protect the root login?

I'd be happy to delete all & start again as the db currently contains no data at all.

Many thanks,

Mark.

Last edited by Mark Ward; 10-01-2005 at 09:09 AM..
# 2  
Old 10-01-2005
Solved my own problem so thought I'd post solution.

#mysql -uroot =p" mysql

Then enter a password and all is fine again.

I found this solution in one of the replies to This Thread

Mark.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

(VS 2008) New build config looking files from other folder build config

Hi Team, My new build configuration always looking for the files from the build where i copied from. please help me to resolve this. I am using Visual studio 2008.It has Qt 4.8. plugins,qml,C++ development I created new debug_new build configuration with additional preprocessor from the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SA_Palani
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

Apache virtual host config vs global config problem

Hi folks, I am trying to configure Apache webserver and also a virtual host inside this webserver. For Global server config: /var/www/html/index.html For virtual host config: /var/www/virtual/index.html Both client10 & www10 are pointing to 192.168.122.10 IP address. BUT, MY... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freebird8z
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script that will compare two config files and produce 2 outputs 1)actual config file 2)report

Hi I am new to shell scripting. There is a requirement to write a shell script to meet follwing needs.Prompt reply shall be highly appreciated. script that will compare two config files and produce 2 outputs - actual config file and a report indicating changes made. OS :Susi linux ver 10.3. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
4 Replies

4. Programming

GCC V3.2 on Redhat8 and Suse9

Hi, Can someone tell me what will be the difference between the binary that is built on Redhat8 and Suse9 even when compiler version is same i.e GCC 3.2.3 is used on both?I mean if I build an application on Suse9 using GCC 3.2that was supposed to be built on Redhat8 using GCC 3.2 what all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavya
4 Replies

5. SuSE

GCC 3.2 on Redhat8 and Suse9

Hi, Can someone tell me what will be the difference between the binary that is built on Redhat8 and Suse9 even when compiler version is same i.e GCC 3.2.3 is used on both?I mean if I build an application on Suse9 using GCC 3.2that was supposed to be built on Redhat8 using GCC 3.2 what all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kavya
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing config file to create new config files

Hi, I want to use a config file as the base file and parse over the values of country and city parameters in the config file and generate separate config files as explained below. I will be using the config file as mentioned below: (config.txt) country:a,b city:1,2 type:b1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: clazzic
1 Replies

7. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

I would like to reset my password

Hi Moderators, I forgot the login password and am accessing the forum page through save form password credentials. Could you please reset my password ? Thanks, :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
5 Replies

8. Linux

SUSE9.1 Peculiar Gigabit Lan performance.

I'm having some peculiar performance issues with my Gigabit Lan. I have some 100Mb devices so I can't do the necessary "jumbo Frame" tweaks for absolute optimum performance as I'd prevent them access. I'm getting appauling transfer rates sending files to the linux machine, around 10 Mbps 3%... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mark Ward
0 Replies

9. Linux

Suse9.0 + Apche2

Does anyone successfully compile Apche2.0.50 on Suse9.0? After run ./configure, and type "make" command, it always stops at this point: ------- .... /home/hiep/httpd-2.0.50/srclib/apr/libtool --silent --mode=link gcc -g -O2 -pthread -DLINUX=2 -D_REENTRANT -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiepng
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question